Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should the Raptors target as their SF next season?: Raps eye AI/Gay (36)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    You may not have heard....the Grizzlies have an agreement to be sold (to a very rich person). The Gay situation may not exist with the new owner...he may not mind going into luxury territory. We shall have to see.
    Is there ever a domino that falls our way? 2 weeks before we may have a chance to take advantage of a budget conscious team, they get bought out by Cuban 2.0? Ridiculous.

Comment

If Gay is out of the running to become Toronto's next starting SF (damn billionaire) and Batum is all but guaranteed to have any offer matched, I wonder if the rumor about AI will heat up even more?

For the record, I would NOT be happy with the Raptors giving up the #8 pick for AI. I would have been for Gay, but think that's too much to giveup for AI.

I wonder though, if there is a viable opportunity for the Raps to acquire AI and still keep the #8 pick. I do like AI and see him as a significant upgrade over JJ, if Gay and Batum are not available.

Perhaps the New Orleans rumor could be combined with a trade for AI, which would allow Toronto to have its cake and eat it too, so to speak.

To New Orleans
      - $6.8M TPE
      - #56 pick (possibly and/or #37 pick)

To Philadelphia
      - #10 pick
      - Ed Davis
      - James Johnson

To Toronto
      - Andre Iguodala
      - Trevor Ariza

TORONTO LINEUP
      C: Valanciunas, Amir, Gray
      PF: Bargnani, Kleiza, Amir
      SF: Iguodala, Ariza, Kleiza
      SG: DeRozan, ???, Iguodala, Forbes
      PG: Calderon, ???, Forbes
      13th Man: Uzoh

Toronto could target either a SG (ie: Beal or Lamb) or a PG (ie: Lillard) with the #8 pick.

---

If that sort of trade were to go down, I might also look at trying to flip a top-3 protected 2013 1st round pick to Houston for #14*. That way, Toronto could look to fill whichever of SG/PG they didn't fill with the #8 pick, using the #14 pick. Lamb could still be available (if Lillard was drafted @ #8), or else one of Waiters/Marshall should be available (if Beal/Lamb was drafted @ #8).

* the rumor is that if Houston is unable to use #14 & #16 to trade well into the top-10, that they might look to swap one of their picks for a 2013 1st round pick, since they don't have one of their own.

---

TORONTO LINEUP
      C: Valanciunas, Amir, Gray
      PF: Bargnani, Kleiza, Amir
      SF: Iguodala, Ariza, Kleiza
      SG: DeRozan, Lamb, Iguodala, Forbes
      PG: Calderon, Lillard, Forbes
      13th Man: Uzoh

That is a pretty decent looking lineup. Some veterans have been added (Iguodala & Ariza) and there is still a significant addition of excellent young talent (Valanciunas, Lamb & Lillard), including the PG-of-the-future (Lillard) that we have all been pining for.

The option of flipping Calderon for Nash still exists as well, should the Raptors look to pursue that too.

The Raptors also would still have their full MLE available, should they wish to use it. I assumed the Vet Exception would be used to re-sign Gray (or a similar veteran C) and that Uzoh would be re-signed to a minimum contract to round out the roster.

---

ESPN Trade Machine Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7uyswtf
      - not sure why the TPE doesn't show up under New Orleans
      - obviously the draft picks don't show up either
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jun 12, 2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I like it. ^

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

That's why I think we need to try and get Gay first

the Gay-ship would have sailed by then.
          It must be the 13 year old in me that makes me laugh every time I read comments like that.

Comment

Green garnering plenty of interest while ex-team contends for a title

Free agency negotiations won't officially begin until July 1, but Falk said he has already had exploratory discussions with "12 to 14 teams."

He had successful surgery to repair the aneurysm on Jan. 12 and has since returned to "100 percent," according to Falk. Now, he's ready to return to the livelihood that he loves.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1y3lGqlnH

With a new owner in New Orleans and Wallace and AI on the outside of our demographics perhaps green on a short term deal may be our best bet for a SF

http://hoopshype.com/players/jeff_green.htm

Comment

I like the idea of picking up Jeff Green, It's almost like getting both Terrence Jones and whoever we select 8th overall. Plus he's still only 25 years old so he fits in with the age group though this is only if they can't manage to get Rudy Gay. Another problem with getting Green is that we would need to draft a guy that had ball handling skills at the two because with him and Demar there would be a turnover issue IMO.
              Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
                It must be the 13 year old in me that makes me laugh every time I read comments like that.
                Fuck it! I laugh at it every time. So, I must be thirteen.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Um, guys, has anybody heard of Gerald Wallace, because he is a free agent now.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                    Um, guys, has anybody heard of Gerald Wallace, because he is a free agent now.
                    we dont want him and he dont want us
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Tim Chisholm wrote an interesting article about moving Derozan to the 3, and signing courtney lee as our starting SG, then drafting another SG.

This idea has merit as courtney lee is a great defender and a very good three point shooter, both things that we need at our SG position. Also this makes it so that we retain our financial flexibility by not going all in on this off season. We also make sure that our future is secure by not giving up our draft pick. In fact I think this is a very good option for us, this is what our depth chart would look like:

PG: Calderon/Bayless/Uzoh
                      SG: Lee/Lamb/Anderson
                      SF: Derozan/Johnson/Kleiza
                      PF: Bargnani/Johnson/Davis
                      C: Valancuinas/Gray/Magloire

We could then look to trade either Kleiza/Johnson/Davis to free up cap space, and bring in some rookies, as 3rd stringers.
                      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                        Tim Chisholm wrote an interesting article about moving Derozan to the 3, and signing courtney lee as our starting SG, then drafting another SG.

This idea has merit as courtney lee is a great defender and a very good three point shooter, both things that we need at our SG position. Also this makes it so that we retain our financial flexibility by not going all in on this off season. We also make sure that our future is secure by not giving up our draft pick. In fact I think this is a very good option for us, this is what our depth chart would look like:

PG: Calderon/Bayless/Uzoh
                        SG: Lee/Lamb/Anderson
                        SF: Derozan/Johnson/Kleiza
                        PF: Bargnani/Johnson/Davis
                        C: Valancuinas/Gray/Magloire

We could then look to trade either Kleiza/Johnson/Davis to free up cap space, and bring in some rookies, as 3rd stringers.
                        Here is the link to the article: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=398523

The piece was certainly interesting. A few issues I have with it though:

- Courtney Lee was only used as an example but he, like any other RFA, is only going to end up being a Raptor if the Raps overpay. So I would remove any thoughts of filling SG with a RFA (that includes Mayo - although there is much more possibility of getting him than Lee as long as Gay or Randolph is on the Memphis roster, imo).

- When looking at that lineup it does not bode well for the future without significant moves in the not-too-distant-future. Calderon is going to be an UFA so PG remains up in the air. There is no way of knowing what JV will become (fingers crossed for franchise centre). The difference in ability/talent between first string and third string is still minimal (except for PG and C) unless significant growth occurs (and in the case of Bargnani health and consistency). One could argue there is not a single Raptor who could be said to be a top 10 player in the league at their position. With the exception of Indiana and Denver, this is hardly the norm but even in the case of the Nuggets or Pacers, they still have much, much more talent on the roster than the Raps would with the above.

- The financial flexibility would remain but an * should be placed by it. Next summer (if a move had not been made by the trade deadline) the Raptors would be limited to trading for talent unless they were prepared to let players go with the possibility of nothing coming back in return. Looking at 2013-14, assuming Kleiza picks up his option and the team exercises the option on Davis, the Raptors have about $30M tied up in 6 players (Bargnani, Amir, Kleiza, Davis, JV, and #8). Then the Raptors have capholds on Calderon, DeRozan, and James Johnson that takes them over the salary cap of $58M. This also assumes no salary is given out this year to any free agent - except for a one year contract. So next summer the Raptors would be limited to trades and MLE/Bi-Annual/minimum contracts in free agency unless they renounce the rights to DeRozan, Calderon, or Johnson.

A good argument can be made for staying the course (which is what I consider the above proposed lineup to be) or making a swing for the fences. Personally, if the Raptors can get a player like Rudy Gay (i.e. a top talent under 26 years of age) and somehow keep their own, acquire another lottery pick, or get the player they really want at a pick outside the lottery, I say swing for the fences with 100% confidence as it would be the best of both worlds. If another pick was not available, well then, that is what BC gets paid the big bucks to decide and if he gets it wrong this go round - adios amigo.

Comment

The section I found most interesting (aside from the whole "move Derozan to SF" part) was "They still have tradable assets like James Johnson and Ed Davis, along with a sign-and-trade asset in Jerryd Bayless, and the financial flexibility to make a big move later in the year if one comes available. I've long maintained that retaining flexibility is as important as any move the team could make this summer."

So Chisholm is talking about making a further move this coming season. Get Derozan working on whatever he needs to work on right now, with 4 1/2 months to go to the season opener, and then target a free agent or trade later in the summer or a trade before next seasons deadline.

This goes along with making improvements (draft, JV's arrival, additional coaching/training over the summer) and waiting for a good opportunity for a significant signing/trade as opposed to trying to "swing for the fences" early in the year. It seems every summer opportunities turn up that make us wish BC had waited a bit on some of his decisions.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Here is the link to the article: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=398523

The piece was certainly interesting. A few issues I have with it though:

- Courtney Lee was only used as an example but he, like any other RFA, is only going to end up being a Raptor if the Raps overpay. So I would remove any thoughts of filling SG with a RFA (that includes Mayo - although there is much more possibility of getting him than Lee as long as Gay or Randolph is on the Memphis roster, imo).

- When looking at that lineup it does not bode well for the future without significant moves in the not-too-distant-future. Calderon is going to be an UFA so PG remains up in the air. There is no way of knowing what JV will become (fingers crossed for franchise centre). The difference in ability/talent between first string and third string is still minimal (except for PG and C) unless significant growth occurs (and in the case of Bargnani health and consistency). One could argue there is not a single Raptor who could be said to be a top 10 player in the league at their position. With the exception of Indiana and Denver, this is hardly the norm but even in the case of the Nuggets or Pacers, they still have much, much more talent on the roster than the Raps would with the above.

- The financial flexibility would remain but an * should be placed by it. Next summer (if a move had not been made by the trade deadline) the Raptors would be limited to trading for talent unless they were prepared to let players go with the possibility of nothing coming back in return. Looking at 2013-14, assuming Kleiza picks up his option and the team exercises the option on Davis, the Raptors have about $30M tied up in 6 players (Bargnani, Amir, Kleiza, Davis, JV, and #8). Then the Raptors have capholds on Calderon, DeRozan, and James Johnson that takes them over the salary cap of $58M. This also assumes no salary is given out this year to any free agent - except for a one year contract. So next summer the Raptors would be limited to trades and MLE/Bi-Annual/minimum contracts in free agency unless they renounce the rights to DeRozan, Calderon, or Johnson.

A good argument can be made for staying the course (which is what I consider the above proposed lineup to be) or making a swing for the fences. Personally, if the Raptors can get a player like Rudy Gay (i.e. a top talent under 26 years of age) and somehow keep their own, acquire another lottery pick, or get the player they really want at a pick outside the lottery, I say swing for the fences with 100% confidence as it would be the best of both worlds. If another pick was not available, well then, that is what BC gets paid the big bucks to decide and if he gets it wrong this go round - adios amigo.
                            What you are saying about the 2013-2014 salaries is interesting, thats news to me.

I do think that Courtney Lee would have to be overpaid to come to Toronto but not by much. He is expected to make about 4-5 million I believe in his next contract, with the raptors he might make 5-6 million, I don't think he has the leverage to demand much more. So it wouldn't be terribly overpaying him.

As far as talent on the roster goes, its true holding pat so to speak like this means that we are not adding a big time marquee player to our roster, and on paper it doesn't seem like we are improving that much. However we are nowhere near contending for a championship, so slow and steady is going to win the race at this stage in our teams development. Let's not forget that the biggest benefit of having a young team is that they have tremendous room to grow, and their can be "organic" or internal development. I think that adding more talent in the form of JV to the C position, having a healthy bargnani, having a full training camp and summer league, and most of all having another year under Dwayne Casey means that our team can get a lot better.

A player like Courtney Lee would fit into our system perfectly. In every team that he has played for he consistently guards the opposing teams best scoring wing, he knows his role on a team, he doesn't try and do too much, he plays within himself and understands his job is to defend and hit the spot up three pointer. I think even with a modest move such as this, because of the youth of our team, and the change in "culture" that is occuring you will see a much better Raptors team than last year, and perhaps an appearance in the playoffs.

That being said, since Colangelo and Casey are both in contract years, I do not see them making "modest" moves this offseason. I see them trying to swing for the fences, but if no decent transaction presents itself a move such as "moving derozan to the 3 and signing someone like Courtney Lee" is not a bad alternative.
                            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...r_Lottery_Pick

Comment

I feel like Deng is getting coverage in at least 3 threads...

I would not trade #8 for Deng. However, I would gladly pursue a deal with New Orleans to acquire Ariza (using TPE) & #10 pick (perhaps using #56 pick and/or JJ), to then flip the #10 pick to Chicago for Deng. In order to make the deal work in ESPN's Trade Machine, the Raps needed to trade away some salary - JJ would be likely candidate, given that 2 SFs would be heading to Toronto.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=822zhbk

I would still much rather trade for Gay or try and sign Batum, but it would be a decent consolation prize to come away with Deng, provided the Raps keep the #8 pick as well.

LINEUP
                                C: Valanciunas, Gray
                                PF: Bargnani, Amir, Davis
                                SF: Deng, Ariza, Kleiza
                                SG: DeRozan, ???, Forbes
                                PG: Calderon, ???
                                + #8 pick
                                + #37 pick
                                + whatever trading away Amir/Davis brings back
                                + MLE
                                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jun 18, 2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X