Battle For 5th Place In The East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle For 5th Place In The East

I was taking a long look at the schedules remaining for a discussion on another site. It was so much work i figured it would be a waste not to post what i found on this site, and get your guys opinions!

Now, I realize catching a team like Atlanta or Orlando is completley possible, and so is getting passed by Chicago. But i have simply added up the schedules remaining for The Raptors, and their two nearest competitors in Miami and Charlotte.

Toronto Raptors
    Games Remaining: 37
    Home Games Remaining: 20
    Road Games Remaining: 17
    Back 2 Backs Remaining : 10
    Strength of Schedule Remaining: .453

Miami Heat
    Games Remaining: 39
    Home Games Remaining: 18
    Road Games Remaining: 21
    Strength of Schedule Remaining: .454

Charlotte Bobcats
    Games Remaining: 40
    Road Games Remaining: 22
    Back 2 Backs Remaining : 11
    Strength of Schedule Remaining: .474

Quick Notes
    Toronto has the easiest strength of schedule remaining, but barely
    Toronto has played the most games, but has played the fewest home games
    Charlotte has the toughest strength of schedule remaining, most games remaining, and most back to backs remaining
    Toronto's next 10 games (7 home, 3 away) come against teams with a combined winning percentage .332

In conclusion, I think Toronto has the easiest schedule remaining, due to the strength of schedule, but mostly to the fact we play 2 more home games than both Charlotte and Miami, while playing 2 less games than Miami, and 3 less than Charlotte. Charlotte has the toughest schedule remaining. They play the most games, and against the toughest competition.

Comments?
    Last edited by MattyG-Ray; Mon Jan 25, 2010, 03:01 PM.
    I Am Shutup

Toronto should really shine in this situation, really there isn't any excuse why they can't come in night in and out and beat these teams. I think Charlotte is more dangerous than Miami at this point, and I expect them to give us the most trouble in terms of playoff racing. There are a lot of bad teams we will be playing and without some major goofups should have a SOLID chance at 5th. I expect 5th.

Comment

I dont' care if we finish 5th, 6th or 7th. I think meeting Orlando is far more important.

Comment

Ripp wrote: View Post
        I dont' care if we finish 5th, 6th or 7th. I think meeting Orlando is far more important.
        I guess thats why we need to be 5th then :P...lol

but who cares anyways? remember two years ago... we though orlando was easy team to beat? but we got whooped to 6-1 (i think i can't remember)
        Last edited by KakashiPrince; Mon Jan 25, 2010, 08:39 AM.

Comment

MattyG-Ray wrote: View Post
          I was taking a long look at the schedules remaining for a discussion on another site. It was so much work i figured it would be a waste not to post what i found on this site, and get your guys opinions!

Now, I realize catching a team like Atlanta or Orlando is completley possible, and so is getting passed by Chicago. But i have simply added up the schedules remaining for The Raptors, and their two nearest competitors in Miami and Charlotte.

Toronto Raptors
          Games Remaining: 37
          Home Games Remaining: 20
          Road Games Remaining: 17
          Strength of Schedule Remaining: .453

Miami Heat
          Games Remaining: 39
          Road Games Remaining: 21
          Strength of Schedule Remaining: .454

Charlotte Bobcats
          Games Remaining: 40
          Road Games Remaining: 22
          Back 2 Backs Remaining : 11
          Strength of Schedule Remaining: .474

Quick Notes
          Toronto has the easiest strength of schedule remaining, but barely
          Toronto has played the most games, but has played the fewest home games
          Charlotte has the toughest strength of schedule remaining, most games remaining, and most back to backs remaining
          Toronto's next 10 games (7 home, 3 away) come against teams with a combine strength of schedule of .332

In conclusion, I think Toronto has the easiest schedule remaining, due to the strength of schedule, but mostly to the fact we play 2 more home games than both Charlotte and Miami, while playing 2 less games than Miami, and 3 less than Charlotte. Charlotte has the toughest schedule remaining. They play the most games, and against the toughest competition.

Comments?
          Excellent idea, excellent post and I don't think I've said it yet so, welcome MattyG-Ray!

Comment

The Raptors need to beat the Heat this week. This game of course will be a two game swing in the standings. If there is a must win game, especially being at home, this early in the schedule this in my opinion will definitely be one.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Hell of a post, Matty. Great job.

These little winning streaks the Raps threw together have saved their bacon. If they continue holding home court, they could be a 45 win team, which goes against my season long prediction.

Goes without saying, but if Bargs and Bosh can stay healthy, we'll be golden. I still fear what happens if one of those 2 go down for 2 weeks.

Comment

Bargnani was really good that game. I think after a statement game like that against the NBA Champs people are going to have to start taking notice.

Comment

Thanks for the greetings!

I noticed a slight typo that has now been fixed. It said
                  Toronto's next 10 games (7 home, 3 away) come against teams with a combine strength of schedule of .332
                  where it should of said
                  Toronto's next 10 games (7 home, 3 away) come against teams with a combined winning percentage of .332
                  I'm sure most people got the idea anyways. I think these 10 games are very important though. The schedule looks like this:

Miami
                  @NY Knicks
                  Indy
                  @Indy
                  New Jersey
                  Sacramento
                  Philly
                  Memphis
                  @New Jersey
                  Washington

The game against Miami is obviously important if the Raptors want the 5th seed. Also, with the first 7 of those games coming before the all star break, the Raptors have a real chance to be ridding high at the break. The Raptors have won 2 in a row, and looking at the next 10, I don't see a game I think they should loose. I know they won't win them all, however they have a chance to get to 6 or 7 games above .500 at the trade deadline, which could alter Colangelo's mindset.
                  I Am Shutup

Comment

Opportunity Knocking!!!

Raps have a chance to win 10 straight!
                    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I have created an excel spread sheet that will let me copy and past the NBA Standings, and will spit out the strength of schedule remaining for Toronto, Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Miami, and Orlando. If people want, I can post updates in this thread two weeks or so.

Toronto Raptors
                      Record: 24 -22
                      Home Games Remaining: 19
                      Away Games Remaining: 17
                      Back 2 Backs Remaining :9
                      Strength of Schedule Remaining:.453

Atlanta Hawks
                      Record: 29 - 15
                      Away Games Remaining: 20
                      Back 2 Backs Remaining : 12
                      Strength of Schedule Remaining:.474