Ramon Sessions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I researched Banks' contract.. it wasn't Bryan that gave it to him. Banks got that extension on July 20, 2006. Colangelo was with Toronto making deals in March of 2006.
    Thanks for the correction. I was certain BC gave it to him. Well, besides that slip up, I stand by the rest of the comment.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Thanks for the correction. I was certain BC gave it to him. Well, besides that slip up, I stand by the rest of the comment.
      No worries (and I agree with your assessment of Sessions).. I had looked up Banks' contract a few months ago thinking it was a bone headed move on Bryan's part.. but the facts proved me wrong too at the time. I only commented because I remembered that pretty vividly still.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        What value? And amnesty-ing Calderon in favour of Sessions is a horrible idea. In no way is Sessions better than Calderon.
        Wow really? are we discounting experience and learning curve? lets compare and not even mention things like foot speed and durability.

BOTH players @ age 25:
        SESSIONS
        2011-12 MPG:26.7 / FGP:.428 / 3PT-.443 / FTP-:.782 / Assists:5.5 / Steals/G:0.7 / points-11.3

CALDERON
        2006-07 MPG:21.0 / FGP-.521 / 3PT-333 / FTP-.818 / Assists-5.0 / steals-0.8 / points-8.7

Sessions if 5 years younger. He is always getting better. He can grow with this team he is unselfish and a great story of hard work.
        Last edited by charlz; Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:27 PM.
        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Too expensive/not good enough.

Get superstars, then build around them with guys like this, not the other way around.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
            Wow really? are we discounting experience and learning curve? lets compare and not even mention things like foot speed and durability.

BOTH players @ age 25:
            SESSIONS
            2011-12 MPG:26.7 / FGP:.428 / 3PT-.443 FTP-:.782 / Assists:5.5 / Steals/G:0.7 / points-11.3

CALDERON
            2006-07 MPG:21.0 / FGP-.521 / 3PT-333 FTP-.818 / Assists-5.0 / steals-0.8 / points-8.7

Sessions if 5 years younger. He is always getting better. He can grow with this team he is unselfish and a great story of hard work.
            Foot speed and durability? I don't think anyone confuses Sessions to be on any all-nba defensive teams. I don't think he has Calderon beat on that. As for durability, I will say Jose isn't the more durable guy, however, Sessions doesn't play huge minutes the way Calderon does.

I don't know what you're attempting to prove with your statistical analysis, but it doesn't prove that Sessions is any better. The 06-07 season was Calderon's second season in the league (as opposed to Sessions' 5th). And in those 21 minutes (as opposed to Session's 26), Calderon shot the ball better - both field goal and free throws, per-36 assists were better, he had fewer turnovers, had more steals..shall I go on?

If you look at his performance over the years, they are up and down. He's unable to hold down a starting gig. That and Sessions' playoff performance just cements why he shouldn't be handed a multi-year, MLE contract.

Comment

i think sessions and calderon could work as a team in a nice two different look kind of way. between the two i think jose at one year is better then committing 4/5 years to sessions.

Comment

Foot speed and durability? I don't think anyone confuses Sessions to be on any all-nba defensive teams. I don't think he has Calderon beat on that. As for durability, I will say Jose isn't the more durable guy, however, Sessions doesn't play huge minutes the way Calderon does.
                Calderon is a terrible defender and god forbid he is coming of an injury because he is totally useless.

They have junked up so many defensive schemes to hide Calderon it is pathetic.

Sessions is respectable and has better east west speed to defend at the point of attack and is cheaper.

I believe sessions is getting better and Calderon is getting worse.
                Sessions is a top 3 point shooter in the league.

Calderon can run an offense very well when healthy beyond that he is the biggest liability on the defensive end - he is such a weak link in the chain that it is a quagmire in DC's defense.... he has to go!

Comment

heck no

Comment

Calderon is a terrible defender and god forbid he is coming of an injury because he is totally useless.

They have junked up so many defensive schemes to hide Calderon it is pathetic.

Sessions is respectable and has better east west speed to defend at the point of attack and is cheaper.

I believe sessions is getting better and Calderon is getting worse.
                    Sessions is a top 3 point shooter in the league.

Calderon can run an offense very well when healthy beyond that he is the biggest liability on the defensive end - he is such a weak link in the chain that it is a quagmire in DC's defense.... he has to go!
                    Calderon's defensive rating this year was beter than Sessions' was. As was his defensive win share. Sessions is a good backup, but that's where it starts and ends.

Comment

Calderon's defensive rating this year was beter than Sessions' was. As was his defensive win share. Sessions is a good backup, but that's where it starts and ends.
                      his rating improvement was because the Raptors dramatically reduced opposing shot attempts. He remains as bad a one on one defender as their is at PG.

Comment

his rating improvement was because the Raptors dramatically reduced opposing shot attempts. He remains as bad a one on one defender as their is at PG.
                        His rating is still better than Sessions. As is his defensive win share.

Comment

Actually, defensive ratings are pace adjusted. However, it is sort of reflective on the team's overall defense. Sessions' ratings were better in L.A. than Cleveland (not including the playoffs). Sessions would be an excellent back-up point guard. As a starter, he wouldn't stand out from the rest of the crop. He does bring solid athleticism, better than Calderon.

I'm a big supporter of the ASPM metric, which can be divided into OASPM for offense and DASPM for defense. If you multiply that number with the minutes played, you get the player's contributed to the point differential per 100 (team's orating - drating) & it is really accurate.

Looking at those numbers, DASPM:
                          Sessions (LA) 0.81
                          Sessions (CLE) 1.74
                          Calderon 0.69 WIN
                          *the lower the better

OASPM
                          Sessions (LA) 1.44
                          Sessions (CLE) 0.98
                          Calderon 1.89 WIN

**btw, JERRYD BAYLESS
                          OASPM 1.97 (beats both)
                          DASPM 0.74 (beats only Sessions)

I'm still not giving up on Bayless!
                          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                            Actually, defensive ratings are pace adjusted. However, it is sort of reflective on the team's overall defense. Sessions' ratings were better in L.A. than Cleveland (not including the playoffs). Sessions would be an excellent back-up point guard. As a starter, he wouldn't stand out from the rest of the crop. He does bring solid athleticism, better than Calderon.

I'm a big supporter of the ASPM metric, which can be divided into OASPM for offense and DASPM for defense. If you multiply that number with the minutes played, you get the player's contributed to the point differential per 100 (team's orating - drating) & it is really accurate.

Looking at those numbers, DASPM:
                            Sessions (LA) 0.81
                            Sessions (CLE) 1.74
                            Calderon 0.69 WIN
                            *the lower the better

OASPM
                            Sessions (LA) 1.44
                            Sessions (CLE) 0.98
                            Calderon 1.89 WIN

**btw, JERRYD BAYLESS
                            OASPM 1.97 (beats both)
                            DASPM 0.74 (beats only Sessions)