Raptor's Assets in Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor's Assets in Offseason

The Raptors head into this offseason with flexability to rival some of the leagues top power players in the Free Agency and Trade markets. This will be the biggest test of Bryan Colangelo's ability to both evaluate and court talent as well as manufacture good deals that net us the pieces necessary to become a playoff team. Here are the resources and assets at our disposal:

Cap Space (all figures rough):
    -$5.5 M in pure space
    -$12 M if Bayless' rights are denounced
    -$16 M to $19 M if amnesty is used on Linas or Amir
    Picks:
    1st Round
    2nd Round
    - #37, #56
    Assets:
    - J.Calderon ($10 M Expiring)
    - E.Davis (Talented Big/Rookie Contract)
    - L.Klieza (Bench Scorer/Small-Mid Size Contract)
    - $5 M Mid-Level Exception
    - Amnesty Clause (Expiring in December?)
    - Minimum Contracts

Needs:
    - Improved PG (more athletic, defensive, distributer, shooter)
    - Star SF (Highly talented on Off/Def, Experienced)
    - Experienced Big (stopgap for Valanciunas)
    - Bench Scoring (shooters, playoff experience, leaders)
    - Defensive Players (plug-in stoppers, vets)

as far as "needs" go i don't think your SF needs to be a superstar. if anything, i'd say the SG should be higher on the totem pole. personally, i like the idea of having a glue SF that can defend the opposite teams best wing and hit shots.

agree with the rest tho (i have zero idea if the money part is correct) and would add Demar.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

while we don't need a superstar SF (none are available anyway), we do need a massive upgrade at that slot. We have the assets needed to get a star level Off/Def talent: Igoudala, Deng, Gay, Wallace, Granger. We need this kind of talent to go deep in the playoff for the next few years. An average to above-average wing won't cut it in a 7 game series verses the East's elite teams who all appear to be strong at that position.

Comment

Oh I completely agree about the solid upgrade.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
          The Raptors head into this offseason with flexability to rival some of the leagues top power players in the Free Agency and Trade markets. This will be the biggest test of Bryan Colangelo's ability to both evaluate and court talent as well as manufacture good deals that net us the pieces necessary to become a playoff team. Here are the resources and assets at our disposal:

Cap Space (all figures rough):
          -$5.5 M in pure space
          -$12 M if Bayless' rights are denounced
          -$16 M to $19 M if amnesty is used on Linas or Amir
          Picks:
          1st Round
          2nd Round
          - #37, #56
          Assets:
          - J.Calderon ($10 M Expiring)
          - E.Davis (Talented Big/Rookie Contract)
          - L.Klieza (Bench Scorer/Small-Mid Size Contract)
          - $5 M Mid-Level Exception
          - Amnesty Clause (Expiring in December?)
          - Minimum Contracts

Needs:
          - Improved PG (more athletic, defensive, distributer, shooter)
          - Star SF (Highly talented on Off/Def, Experienced)
          - Experienced Big (stopgap for Valanciunas)
          - Bench Scoring (shooters, playoff experience, leaders)
          - Defensive Players (plug-in stoppers, vets)
          The only assets I think you missed are:
          - James Johnson --> assuming an upgraded starting SF is acquired
          - Bayless --> potentially as a S&T asset
          - Weems --> potentially as a S&T asset
          - Alabi --> if his option is picked up
          - ~$7M TPE --> from the Barbosa trade, needs to be used before July 1st, unless the Raps are over the cap when July 1st roles around
          - Veteran Exception --> similar to MLE, but less money for specific veterans (I'm not sure of the exact requirements/amounts)
          - 2013 1st round pick (as long as they use one 1st round pick this year)
          - 2013 2nd round pick

Obviously BC has lots of available assets to piece together the best team possible, both for next season and for the long-term.

Comment

I agree with the needs. But, I think it would be wrong to assume all those could be fufilled this off season.

If they are I'm not sure it would be under the proper circumstances.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I think Raptors could adress their SF needs via draft. There's no rush and the team is in the right direction, so why destroy our core? Also, despite all rumors and trade ideas, I clearly don't think we have enough assets to get one of the small forwards you be talking about (Iggy, Deng, Gay, Granger, etc..). Wallace is a FA but he just won't sign here. Even if MGK and Barnes are gone when we draft, there is still a lot of other good small forwards we should take a look at.

As for the PG position, I more and more don't think that Bayless is in the plans of BC and co. There is at least 10 PG we should take a look at that are free agents before thinking about bringing Bayless back. Then once they sign the best PG possible, they can opt to keep Calderon, trade him or amnesty him.

Definitely we should trade one of Amir or Ed, whether it's one or the other.

Make a run at some top centers, but in the end I think that it's Aaron Gray that will share JV minutes and I'm alright with it.

As for the defensive stoppers, I think we got one in JJ but I'm not sure if he'll be with the team next year. I think that signing one is more important than bring in another center.

A scorer off the bench would definitely be a bonus, but will we have enough money to bring in a capable one?

Our 37th pick will definitely be part of the team next year also.

So let's take a look at what our team should, would & could look like if all that is done.

Starting 5: JV, Bargnani, a rookie, DeRozan and Calderon OR a FA signing.
              Rotation: Gray, Ed OR Amir, JJ OR Kleiza, a scorer, Calderon OR a rookie (that means we only keep Jose if he's our starter), Forbes and another FA.

Last 3: Magloire, Alabi and a rookie or a free agent.

Comment

if dion waiters is gone draft harkless, put a offer out there that jerermy lin can't refuse and NY can't match amnesty linas plz!!!!!!! release bayless and go get another piece in free agent

Comment

I can think of a couple ways to net a star SF. For instance, say we were to deal with Indiana. They don't necessarily need cap relief so our ability to absorb contract dollars wouldn't be very appealing to them. However, given their balanced offensive approach, they could use a pass-first PG who is an excellent ball-handler that excells at pushing the ball. Also, they have up-and-coming SF Paul George who can handle a bigger role. We could use Danny Granger and, assuming we fill a few of their needs, they can afford to lose him.
                  What about a deal where we send Calderon, our 8th Pick, and perhaps Kieza their way in return for Granger and maybe future picks. They can use the pick to secure their SG position and they'd have Calderon and Collison manning the point. Because we'd absorb a bit of Grangers' contract they'd have more money to use in FA to maybe take care of the back-up SF. We'd get our our very capable SF who can shoot and provide an incredibly reliable 15-20 points a game. He also comes from a great defensive system and can guard. We'll have JJ to spell for periods duringvthe game. It would take another wing of his caliber to make the Raptors a team that could go deep into the playoffs for years to come. We have more flexability now than we'll have for years so now is the time to maximize what you can get out if these assets.
                  As for our PG position; with upwards of $9 M remaining (assuming we denounce Bayless), we can make a play for the top PGs in free agency. That list includes Felton, Lin, Nash, Hinrich or maybe Dragic.

Comment

Working...
                  X