No announcement yet.

Raptors Uniquely Positioned to Trade for 2nd Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a possibility that TT becomes bearable and if MKG turns out to be the player we need - then we hit gold. The worse case scenario is TT continues to suck while MKG turns out to be just good defender without a jumper...I think it is worth the risk.

Comment

With so many people being opposed to the Raptors targeting a good young SF on a big contract (ie: Gay, Deng, Iguodala), I'm surprised there is so much support for an acquisition of Thomas, even if it nets the #2 pick (assuming #8 would have to go to Charlotte).

Option 1: keep #8
      --> add approx $2M salary, leaving approx $12M cap space available

Option 2: trade #8 pick & assets (ie: Davis & JJ) to Memphis for Gay & #25
      --> add approx $12M salary, leaving approx $2M cap space available

Option 3: trade #8 pick & assets (ie: Davis) to Charlotte for Thomas & #2
      --> add approx $10M salary, leaving approx $4M cap space available

For me, I would much rather have Gay & #25 & $2M cap space, than Thomas & #2 & $4M cap space!

* all cap space numbers are based on BC renouncing all restricted free agents... even if he didn't, the relative numbers would still be a fair basis for comparison
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jun 27, 2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

If Lillard is off the board, I'm secretly hoping we hold onto our 37th pick and use it on Machado.

Comment

If Bryan swung that deal with Charlotte.. they would be drafting Barnes at #2, not MKG. I think Bryan likes Barnes better than anyone else from 2-7. Not a factual statement, just a hunch.

I would not trade #8 for Thomas and Barnes.

Comment

I really would like Beal/MKG/Barnes even if that means taking on TTs contract. He has some off court issues but is a great defensive player. Plus, his final year at 9 Mil can be trade bait, and we could land some fringe all star players on teams that want to start over again and want cap flexibility that year (IE. philly this year with Iggy)

However, i really do not see Charlotte trading outside the top 4. They need to win and win fast. They are a horrible team that needs to add talent and i just don't think that we can offer them any talent on our roaster, maybe Davis, and the picks at 8 are not going to help the team right away. 8 is really a hit or miss, with guys like drummond/lilard/rivers.

Comment

Why doesn't Charlotte just amnesty him?
              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                No, getting MKG is NOT worth taking on 27M over the next 3 years for an 8-10th man. That's crazy talk. You're suggesting paying approx. 12M/year for MKG, because Thomas is a scrub who has no role on this team.
                +1. Co-sign.
                The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                  That might be a last resort. But if someone is dying for that 2nd pick, getting rid of Thomas seems like a very opportunistic move.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                    So if we have to include the pick to make it work for Charlotte, and have to include Amir to make it work for us, then what would the squad look like potentially next year. I'm assuming we land Steve Nash. We either deal Calderon to Chicago for Korver + Brewer + Future 1st (Both are unguaranteed contracts and could be cut for cheap if we want), or amnesty him (probably some more scenarios out there). The team then looks like this.

PG: Nash, Machado (37th pick)
                    SG: DeRozan, Forbes
                    SF: MKG, JJ, Kleiza
                    PF: Bargs, Davis, Kleiza/JJ
                    C: Jonas, Thomas, Gray/Alabi

Alternatively, put Beal in at starting SG and slide DeRozan to starting SF. We'd still have significant cap space to go after another or several FA.
                    Building on this. Assuming we give Nash $10 million per year, we'd have $52.3 million against the cap and 12 players under contract, leaving 3 roster spots to fill, and $5.7 million to spend on it until we reach the cap. I believe we then have a mid-level of some sort as well. I say split it and give 2 vets 1 year deals for around $2.5 million, like we gave to Gray. Giving it all to an even better FA is fine with me too. Can always fill the last few roster spots with min contracts.
                    We're not that hamstrung financially in the future either. In 2013/14 we'd have $45.1 million in committed contracts for 8 players, with another draft pick coming, so we could still be players in free agency (Swap Harden and DeRozan in a S&T?!?). I'm getting ahead of myself. Just trying to show that we wouldn't be that financially hamstrung by Thomas contract in the future, and we could always package him up with some combination of Davis, DD, or JJ in a future trade.

If you think a future core of JV, MKG, and Dwayne Casey could be built around, and I for one think it could work, then this is a power move to be a real championship contender in 2015/16 when JV and MKG are on the final year of their rookie deals and all the current contracts are over. We could have built a defensive monster of a team by then. On the way we can have a fun playoff team with Captain Canada.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Does Thomas playing better under Casey have a higher ceiling than either Davis or Amir? I just don't see it.
                      No, but you take a downgrade at backup C/PF for a huge upgrade at SF (now and into the future).

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                        Because Charlotte is not a rich team. If they amnesty Thomas, he will probably clear waivers, so Charlotte will be stuck paying $26 million over the next 3 years for nothing. They probably can't afford to do that.

Comment

All the crying about "the Raps can't even tank properly" and now no one sees significant value in #2 over #8. What's up with that? The Raps still wind up with flexibility, with cap room and the opportunity to have " the player who would have been #2 in this years draft (JV)" and the player who IS #2.

Who cares about the salary. Especially is there is a player going back.

Comment

Tyrus Thomas. Ha, ha, ha...
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              All the crying about "the Raps can't even tank properly" and now no one sees significant value in #2 over #8. What's up with that? The Raps still wind up with flexibility, with cap room and the opportunity to have " the player who would have been #2 in this years draft (JV)" and the player who IS #2.

Who cares about the salary. Especially is there is a player going back.
                              Giving up #8 and swapping Davis for Thomas ($6M more next season) would significantly limit the subsequent moves the Raptors could make and all but assures they won't be able to add a veteran SF (ie: Gay). It would be one thing if Thomas was an expiring, but he's on the books for the next 3 years at an increasing amount each year! That hurts short and long term roster flexibility for a useless player.

Plus, who would the Raptors draft at #2 anyway? Beal seems to be the guy teams are trading up to get, but that would be redundant with DeRozan (who I don't think can play SF). The Raps would still need to address the starting SF position, and they'd be significantly limited thanks to Thomas' contract to do so. Barnes & MKG would likely be available at #4/5, so there would be no point moving up to #2 to get one of them. The Raps would be better off trying to swing a deal with Cleveland or Sacramento.

I just don't see Toronto putting that much value on Beal. If they want Barnes/MKG, they likely won't need to move up to #2 to get either of them.

I think any talk of Toronto being involved in trade talks surround the #2 pick is either as a 3rd/4th team hoping to add an asset to help facilitate a deal, or is yet another smoke screen.

Comment

True, and with all of this talk of Nash signing in Toronto I feel as if Thomas could be used well. If we had #2 I'd be far more interested in Beal than MKG.

Nash / Calderon / Mchadoo?
                                Derozan / Beal / Bayless
                                JJ / Kleiza
                                Bargnani / Amir / Davis
                                Valenciunas / Thomas / (other #2 pick)

A package of Derozan, Davis, JJ and next years first round could be used for a Gay or an Igoudala or a Josh Smith. We'd have big money locked in on Amir and Thomas but it would be off in three years when we need to resign our young guys. Not to mention the Calderon trade that would come in all of this. I'd jump at it. Swing for the fences baby

Comment

Working...
                                X