Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the times are a-changing?

PROSPECTS ACTUALLY LIKE TORONTO

Gone are the days – thankfully – when NBA players moaned and groaned about television options, Toronto’s weather or the metric system.

Nowadays, just about everybody would be quite happy to be a Raptor.

About 24 hours away from draft night, several college stars who have been linked to the club all professed excitement about potentially joining the fold.

“It’s a beautiful city, they love their team there, the crowd comes out,” said Duke guard Austin Rivers. “I think I can fit in with that program the way they like to get up and down, but also, with Coach Casey, they like to play defence. That’s something I want to learn and get better at. It’s something I want to do next year.”

Syracuse guard Dion Waiters knows Toronto scout Alvin Williams — they are both from Philadelphia — and knows a bit about the franchise.

“It’s a great organization (that) is on the rise, they just need a couple of key pieces. Hopefully, if I end up there I think it would be a great fit,” Waiters said.

Weber State point guard Damian Lillard and North Carolina forward Harrison Barnes both were positive as well.

John Henson, knows Toronto is loaded at his position, but that hasn’t dissuaded him.

“They do have a lot of (power forwards), but I think, as an NBA team, you can’t just skip over somebody because of what they have, especially if they’re a good player,” Henson said.

Ed Davis has talked up both Henson and Barnes, showing solidarity with his fellow Tar Heels.

What would battling with Davis again be like?

“It would be like freshman year,” Henson said. “I was a freshman, he was a sophomore, we were competing every day. Obviously, he got the best of me, me being a youngster, It would be good having somebody you know up there.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/27...rs-staying-mum
    This makes me feel good - whether it should or not is another story.

I think the rising young Canadian talent (Wiggins, Lyles, Kabongo to name a few) is changing perceptions among the youth destined for the NBA community.

Among current NBA players, I think the stigma is still real - and when it comes to a chance to win it is worthy. Hopefully in another 4-5 years time the Toronto stigma will be a thing of the forgotten past.

+1

Comment

Something else that is relevant here:

Big news was made yesterday about Barnes having a private workout in NYC for GSW. US media made it sound like that Barnes was covering bases in case he dropped out of top 6. This, however, ignores the fact he already worked out IN Toronto for a team that picks 8.

Barnes declined workouts in Sacramento and GS.

Comment

Nice article
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Something else that is relevant here:

Big news was made yesterday about Barnes having a private workout in NYC for GSW. US media made it sound like that Barnes was covering bases in case he dropped out of top 6. This, however, ignores the fact he already worked out IN Toronto for a team that picks 8.

Barnes declined workouts in Sacramento and GS.
          Didn't know that he declined Sactown and GS but not to TO. Really interesting.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Sacramento is a really bad situation to go to. No agent wants their guy to go there...they got problems and inexperience at almost every position. They have drafted knuckleheads. Seems like a place talent goes to die. Arena situation is up in the air. New coach......If any organization truly needed a culture change its this one
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

The more canadian players that enter the league, the more canadians will be playing for the Raps, as well. I read the article yesterday and thought it was great. I like the kid.
              The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
              Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
              www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
              http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
              http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

The only time we'll ever promote a Sun article

Comment

Some of this is just guys saying the right things. Every city that might draft them is great.

For the Raps, I think the whole "Toronto" "Canada" stuff is less of an issue than previously. Despite the fact the team loses all the time, you never hear ex-players speaking ill of the organization or the city in any meaninful way. I also wouldn't discount the whole "white Vegas" thing. And, despite my feelings about Colangelo, having that name and other well-known names like Gherardini, Stefanski, etc. gives the club cred with agents, college coaches, etc., which, in turn, means you get more cred with players.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    Some of this is just guys saying the right things. Every city that might draft them is great.

For the Raps, I think the whole "Toronto" "Canada" stuff is less of an issue than previously. Despite the fact the team loses all the time, you never hear ex-players speaking ill of the organization or the city in any meaninful way. I also wouldn't discount the whole "white Vegas" thing. And, despite my feelings about Colangelo, having that name and other well-known names like Gherardini, Stefanski, etc. gives the club cred with agents, college coaches, etc., which, in turn, means you get more cred with players.
                    lol I think Hedo should be an exception, but he was a whiny lazy bum anyways :/

Comment

Working...
                    X