Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disgruntled Fans 2012: Extended stinkfest? (#296)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldmanweldon wrote: View Post
    I find the lack of consistency with some people on this board frustrating. It seems like so many of the guys on the team get ragged on for having a bad attitude or dogging it, and then people get mad when the Raptors draft a guy who shows consistent effort on both ends, instead of Lamb (dogs it when the game isn't flowing through him) or Rivers (total headcase ego-maniac).

After hearing about the thousands of cheering fans who greeted OKC when they got off their plane, I really suspect if the Raptors won the championship in five games, fans would show up to boo them for not doing it in a sweep.
    oldmanweldon wrote: View Post
    Also this! Where the hell is the guy's credit for fashion sense?
    +1 Terrence Ross will be a good player. I trust in the wisdom of Bryan Colangelo, and Dwane Casey.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I'm so pissed off about this pick I may actually move out of my parent's basement.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
        I'm so pissed off about this pick I may actually move out of my parent's basement.
        Hey man, relax. It's just a game.

Comment

I'm so pissed off about this pick I may actually move out of my parent's basement.
          Come on now...you aren't moving out of your parent's basement...rent is expensive
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            Why is everyone hating on Ross? Start watching college basketball, seriously. I don't think it was a bad pick, we went with need because everyone else who the Raptors were realistically after were called. Lillard, Barnes, Waiters. All GONE before our eyes.

BC has NEVER made a BAD pick yet. Think about the pick in 2008, Roy Hibbert in the second round? Think people, even though he traded Hibbert, look how he panned out? Bargnani has shown his ability to play like an all-star. Derozan and Ed hasn't really dissapointed, they sure as hell aren't busts. Jonas if in this draft, would've been selected behind Davis or Gilchrist according to NBA Analysts.

Ross was the next on the Raptors' board, and I believe he will be a real nice player, I think he as potential to be a solid starter in the league. Guy can shoot, score, and defend. Addresses our need of a shooter, our culture defensive, and our need to get some baskets...

Austin Rivers and Lamb may pan out better than Ross, but those guys likely might not fit our plans. Rivers is a combo guard who NEEDS the ball, another Ellis/Jennings type player. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Rivers fan, but I grew on the pick. Lamb I would've been pleased with, but he's another character the raptors don't need to disease the locker-room of laziness, oh, and random yawning during interviews.. Ross is a high character player, and unselfish, two things that Lamb and Rivers have some sort of error with. Ross is high character, and he showed some flash with that bow-tie.
            Hibbert (a first round pick, 17th I think) wasn't his choice, it was made for him, it was just NBA rules that say you can't trade the pick. For example last night with Cavs and Mavs with Zeller. Zeller was picked by the Cavs GM, not by Dallas'.

Derozan is a bench player, he has no business starting with that shot and that defence.

Ed hasn't played enough but has bust written all over him, he plays as well as Ronny Turiaf.

Bargnani is......well he's Bargnani, no need to write what everyone knows.

JV hasn't played yet, so let's hope he's as good as the BCo hype machine has made him out to be.

This idea that BC is a good drafter is based on a lot of nothing. Isiah Thomas was a good drafter, if only we could have him draft and then immediately leave before he ruins and rapes everything in site.

Comment

Rap of the day.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                Ed hasn't played enough but has bust written all over him, he plays as well as Ronny Turiaf.
                Ed was taken 13th in one of the worst drafts in NBA history. He's not a bust if he plays to expectations, and all that was reasonably expected of him was solid rotation player. He's also 23. Writing him off after two crummy-ish seasons is like declaring your child will never be a biologist because he failed a 2nd grade science test.

Comment

Hibbert (a first round pick, 17th I think) wasn't his choice, it was made for him, it was just NBA rules that say you can't trade the pick. For example last night with Cavs and Mavs with Zeller. Zeller was picked by the Cavs GM, not by Dallas'.

Derozan is a bench player, he has no business starting with that shot and that defence.

JV hasn't played yet, so let's hope he's as good as the BCo hype machine has made him out to be.

This idea that BC is a good drafter is based on a lot of nothing. Isiah Thomas was a good drafter, if only we could have him draft and then immediately leave before he ruins and rapes everything in site.
                  When looking at a guy's draft history you have to look at the picks that were made after the pick that was chosen to see if he could have done any better. In most cases Bryan picked the best player even with hindsight. This includes his time in Phoenix as well.

Here is a rundown of the picks he made - I included notable 2nd round picks. Draft slot is in brackets:

1994 - Wesley Person (24)
                  1995 - Michael Finley (21)
                  1996 - Steve Nash (15)
                  1997 - Stephen Jackson (42)
                  1998 - [no picks]
                  1999 - Shawn Marion (9)
                  2000 - Jake Tsakalidis (25)
                  2001 - [no picks]
                  2002 - Amare Soudemire (9)
                  2003 - Zarko Cabarkapa (17)
                  2004 - Luol Deng (7)
                  2005 - Nate Robinson (21)
                  - Marcin Gortat (57)
                  2006 - Andrea Bargnani (1)
                  2007 - [no picks]
                  2008 - [no picks]
                  2009 - DeMar DeRozan (9)
                  2010 - Ed Davis (13)
                  2011 - Jonas Valanciunas (5)
                  2012 - Terrence Ross (8)

Bryan isn't perfect.. no one is.. but he's made some good decisions with the cards that were dealt.

Now if you want to complain about the fact that he does not know how to trade up or down in a draft, I would have to agree 100%. He absolutely sucks at it. In fact I don't believe he's ever done that his whole career.
                  Last edited by planetmars; Fri Jun 29, 2012, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    When looking at a guy's draft history you have to look at the picks that were made after the pick that was chosen to see if he could have done any better. In most cases Bryan picked the best player even with hindsight. This includes his time in Phoenix as well.

Here is a rundown of the picks he made - I included notable 2nd round picks. Draft slot is in brackets:

1994 - Wesley Person (24)
                    1995 - Michael Finley (21)
                    1996 - Steve Nash (15)
                    1997 - Stephen Jackson (42)
                    1998 - [no picks]
                    1999 - Shawn Marion (9)
                    2000 - Jake Tsakalidis (25)
                    2001 - [no picks]
                    2002 - Amare Soudemire (9)
                    2003 - Zarko Cabarkapa (17)
                    2004 - Luol Deng (7)
                    2005 - Nate Robinson (21)
                    - Marcin Gortat (57)
                    2006 - Andrea Bargnani (1)
                    2007 - [no picks]
                    2008 - [no picks]
                    2009 - DeMar DeRozan (9)
                    2010 - Ed Davis (13)
                    2011 - Jonas Valanciunas (5)
                    2012 - Terrence Ross (8)

Bryan isn't perfect.. no one is.. but he's made some good decisions with the cards that were dealt.

Now if you want to complain about the fact that he does not know how to trade up or down in a draft, I would have to agree 100%. He absolutely sucks at it. In fact I don't believe he's ever done that his whole career.
                    What I'm getting from the list is his Euro players are a but suspicious. Uh oh, Jonas.

Overall, solid draft record. A lot of other GM's have done worse.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

All you're doing is basing your argument only on the player's negativs.

Ed isn't a bust, he led the team in double-doubles the year before this past season.
                      http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ed_dav...eer_stats.html

Derozan is averaging 16.7 points on the season, and 14.1 in his short three year career. The guy is improving his skills from year to year. Dwane Casey stated the fact that his defense improved, and his ability to do other things such as rebound and get others involved has come along. Watch the raptor games and you'll see. When Demar Derozan is acting aggressive, and the team is putting him in the right positions, he can be a hard guard. Dwane Casey stated the fact that he looks Demar to be the eventual closer in games, and that he has gotten stronger, and bulked up in a recent interview post-draft.

The two players' development were stunned because of they shortened season. No training camp, no coaching connection, no consistent practice time. Plus the team was undergoing a culture change, putting the development of players under the priority of establishing defense.

Jonas has had hype, but watch his games overseas, and you'll see he is nearly as good as people put him out to be.

The second European player off the board in the 2011 NBA Draft, Jonas Valanciunas spent the summer continuing to build his resume across the pond by leading Lithuania to a U19 World Championship victory and playing rotation minutes for the nation's Senior National Team, which finished 5th at the 2011 Eurobasket.

Returning to Lietuvos Rytas for the 2011-2012 season, the Lithuanian 7-footer has continued to make small, incremental strides, leaving plenty of room for optimism for his future arrival in the NBA.

Though he could not help Rytas advance out of the Euroleague qualifying round and has not shown tremendous improvement in any one area, Valanciunas is having a solid season in a bigger role that better reflects what the Raptors are likely going to expect from him long-term.

His efficiency as a scorer has not wavered significantly this season despite playing next to a more scoring oriented guard in Tyrese Rice who doesn't create pick and roll opportunities quite as well as Sarunas Jasikevicius did a year ago.

Seeing a much higher rate of touches with his back to the basket compared with last season, Valanciunas continues to score both prolifically (19.5 points per-40) and efficiently (66% FG%, 83% FT%) through 20 games –a trend worth keeping an eye on as he matures offensively.

Valanciunas still hasn't had the time off needed to properly work on his body due to his incredibly busy summer schedule, and thus remains underdeveloped physically.

He continues to foul at a high rate as well, but is showing more flashes of midrange jump shooting potential—which will surely serve him well in the future. His new role has had somewhat of an impact on his proficiency on the offensive glass and passing numbers, but Valanciunas continues to stay true to his game, and execute, two big reasons why he was selected to play in last summer's Eurobasket.

Considering his increased playing time and usage this season, the fact that he continues to score with deft touch in the paint, make an impact with his work ethic on both ends, and play with impressive efficiency are all promising signs for a 19-year old only scratching the surface of his potential.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1zDpdQUKP
                      http://www.draftexpress.com
                      10.8 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 63.4% FGP, 1.6 BPG, 80% FT%. Great numbers in the 2011/2012 Eurocup, he dominated the tournament, and still getting stronger and better as time goes on.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I knew before new orleans made their pick that it was highly unlikely harrison barnes would get past g state.

But, i just hoped.

Oh well, i was a bit cofused about the pick. Like wait who is this?

I wasn't upset but confused. lets see what this guy can do anyways.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• If the punditry was so convinced with Ross being rated as a late teens-20s pick, how come he was invited to the Green Room? Isnt that by invite only for potential lottery picks.

Comment

• The Raptors may have been the author of that request.

Comment

• oldmanweldon wrote: View Post
                              I find the lack of consistency with some people on this board frustrating. It seems like so many of the guys on the team get ragged on for having a bad attitude or dogging it, and then people get mad when the Raptors draft a guy who shows consistent effort on both ends, instead of Lamb (dogs it when the game isn't flowing through him) or Rivers (total headcase ego-maniac).

After hearing about the thousands of cheering fans who greeted OKC when they got off their plane, I really suspect if the Raptors won the championship in five games, fans would show up to boo them for not doing it in a sweep.
                              oldmanweldon wrote: View Post
                              Ed was taken 13th in one of the worst drafts in NBA history. He's not a bust if he plays to expectations, and all that was reasonably expected of him was solid rotation player. He's also 23. Writing him off after two crummy-ish seasons is like declaring your child will never be a biologist because he failed a 2nd grade science test.
                              I like your posts. Kudos.

Welcome to the board!!

Comment

• 6'7 shooting guard with game i am happy, even more happy rivers wasnt taken

Comment

Working...
                                X