No announcement yet.

Raptors 2012-13 Starting SF, poll 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Nash (S&T for Calderon) and Fields are both acquired, I would like to see the Raps go after Iguodala.

Amir & JJ & Bayless (S&T) & 2013 1st round pick (top-6 protected) --> Iggy

Philly
    - gives Philly a backup PG (Bayless) and backup PF (Amir), as well as forward depth (JJ)
    - an extra 1st round pick next year
    - saves Philly $1.7M next season (if Bayless signs his Qualifying Offer)

Toronto
    - clears up logjams at PF and wing
    - uses Bayless for something useful

Toronto Lineup
    C: Valanciunas, Gray
    PF: Bargnani, Davis, Kleiza, Acy
    SF: Iguodala, Fields, Kleiza
    SG: DeRozan, Ross, Forbes
    PG: Nash, ???

Starters - DeRozan is the slasher, while Iggy is the outside shooter
    Backup - Fields is the slasher, while Ross is the outside shooter

Salary Cap Implications
    1. Starting cap space: $12M (excluding cap holds - ie: Bayless, Weems, etc...)
    2. Calderon ($10.5M) for Nash ($12M): $10.5M cap space
    3. Fields ($6.7M cap hit) signing: $3.8M cap space
    4. Amir ($6M) & JJ ($2.8M) & Bayless (not counted) for Iggy ($14.7M): $2.1M OVER the cap
    5. Gray re-signed (approx. $3M): approx. $5M OVER the cap (roughly $7M below luxury tax threshold)

Obviously they still need to find a backup PG.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Obviously they still need to find a backup PG.
      That would be the tricky part. Assuming that Nash signs, at age 38, although he would have a significant impact on the Raptors line-up, you would have to at least question his durability and the probability that he might sit out a game or 2, here and there. (back to back games, for example)

Having a good back up as well as the 3rd string point is as important as the other needs. I'm not saying Bayless is the answer because the man has been injured every year as far as I remember.

It would be nice to see that sort of line-up but I'm not sure what Philly is going to do with regards to Iguodala.

To answer the OP, I still would like to see Wilson Chandler a Raptor. I'm not sure what to think about overpaying for Landry Fields, except that he is a good young rotational player.
      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

if BC is that interested in a starting 3 he should give Indiana a call about Granger...if they want to match the Hibbert offer, Granger would be the logical 1 to move if they wanted cap space..

Comment

Orlando, Los Angeles and Philadelphia had discussed a three-way deal, but needed a fourth team to take Iguodala and also provide Orlando with the neccessary future draft picks, sources said. Denver joined the talks in the past week, sources said.

Philadelphia traded its 2013 pick to the Miami Heat, and the Lakers sent two future picks to the Phoenix Suns in the Steve Nash sign-and-trade deal. For Denver, the question could become, how many draft picks are they willing to send to Orlando for Iguodala?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--la...d-to-l-a-.html
          Interesting.

I wonder if the Raptors could have been a factor without the Fields contract on the books.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Interesting.

I wonder if the Raptors could have been a factor without the Fields contract on the books.
            Ugh. Iguodala WITHOUT giving up any of our assets? That is very interesting..
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Interesting.

I'm guessing Orlando is more interested in the draft picks, which the Raptors couldn't offer as a result of the Lowry deal.

Now if the Raptors could trade Calderon & Amir/Davis for a 1st round pick in a separate deal...

Plus Philly is also allegedly giving up both Afflalo & Harrington, potentially on top of draft pick(s)... I think that's a pretty high/fair price to pay for Iggy, who would essentially replace Afflalo straight-up, while Faried/Randolph make Harrington expendable.
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Aug 9, 2012, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing Orlando is more interested in the draft picks, which the Raptors couldn't offer as a result of the Lowry deal.

Now if the Raptors could trade Calderon & Amir/Davis for a 1st round pick in a separate deal...

Plus Philly is also allegedly giving up both Afflalo & Harrington, potentially on top of draft pick(s)... I think that's a pretty high/fair price to pay for Iggy, who would essentially replace Afflalo straight-up, while Faried/Randolph make Harrington expendable.
                Harrington is a bad contract in my opinion.

Afflalo is solid but in the same category of Fields if we are talking overpaid contracts.

The Nuggets have all their own 1st round picks plus the Knicks in 2014 and 2016 and a load of 2nd round picks (minus their own in 2013 and 2015).

Comment

Harrington is a bad contract in my opinion.

Afflalo is solid but in the same category of Fields if we are talking overpaid contracts.

The Nuggets have all their own 1st round picks plus the Knicks in 2014 and 2016 and a load of 2nd round picks (minus their own in 2013 and 2015).
                  When I first heard that it would be Afflalo & Harrington for Iggy, I assumed they'd have to include more 'filler'... it wasn't until I tried the rumored trade in ESPN's Trade Machine that I realized just how much both Nuggets players were being paid! I think they're both overpaid, so it's a great deal for Denver to unload them (especially given how long they are signed for too) for Iggy. Denver is a good, young, deep team, that needed that one proven veteran star player. As you mentioned, they also have a bunch of draft picks to include, without completely mortgaging their future.

Uriji has done a fantastic job as their GM, IMO, just based on this trade, the 'Melo trade, the Nene trade and the other minor moves he's made.

Comment

When I first heard that it would be Afflalo & Harrington for Iggy, I assumed they'd have to include more 'filler'... it wasn't until I tried the rumored trade in ESPN's Trade Machine that I realized just how much both Nuggets players were being paid! I think they're both overpaid, so it's a great deal for Denver to unload them (especially given how long they are signed for too) for Iggy. Denver is a good, young, deep team, that needed that one proven veteran star player. As you mentioned, they also have a bunch of draft picks to include, without completely mortgaging their future.

Uriji has done a fantastic job as their GM, IMO, just based on this trade, the 'Melo trade, the Nene trade and the other minor moves he's made.
                    Didn't realize Harrington was going to LA. I thought he was going to ORL. Harrington in LA would be a good fit with Howard..... but he is still a bad contract!

The deal, as reported by Wojnarowski, would have the Lakers not only giving up Andrew Bynum but also Pau Gasol as well as bringing back forward Al Harrington along with Howard. The Sixers would gain Bynum in exchange for Andre Iguodala, who would go to Denver. The Nuggets would send Arron Afflalo to Orlando (along with Harrington to the Lakers). The Magic would also take on Gasol’s contract along with draft picks and salary cap relief.

Comment

Didn't realize Harrington was going to LA. I thought he was going to ORL. Harrington in LA would be a good fit with Howard..... but he is still a bad contract!
                      Based on that rumor, Orlando would need to send out more salary than just Howard, to make the deal work. It would work in ESPN's Trade Machine if Turk's contract was added to the bunch of players going to LA...

LA - Howard, Harrington, Turk?
                      ORL - Gasol, Afflalo + a bunch of picks?
                      DEN - Iggy
                      PHI - Bynum

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9mq4ccs
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Aug 9, 2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Based on that rumor, Orlando would need to send out more salary than just Howard, to make the deal work. It would work in ESPN's Trade Machine if Turk's contract was added to the bunch of players going to LA...

DEN - Iggy
                        PHI - Bynum

Jason Richardson is supposedly going to Denver or LA in the rumours of the proposed deal.

Turk's contract is brutal but the final year is not guaranteed. He re-worked it to get out of Toronto in the Barbosa deal. Orlando might just keep him. He would certainly help add to the lottery balls - hhaha.

Comment

DEN - Iggy
                          PHI - Bynum

That would fair pretty solid for every team, taking back large amounts either way, but along an all-star player. The one or two concerns I look at, is.. Does this team improve drastically when they had Iguodala, compared to having Bynum now? And how about the guarantees of Bynum wanting to stay long-term?

Philly:

Holiday
                          Turner
                          Young
                          Hawes
                          Bynum

Rather young team I may say. As much as Bynum arguably is the best centre in the league, they are surely going to miss the all-around contributions of Iggy.

Orlando would be the winners IMO. A ton of draft picks, along with using either keeping Gasol to wait for the expiring contract, or use as an asset in a trade for a contender. Since Orlando is going to rebuild, this trade really puts them in their goal much faster.

Comment

Philly is still going to suck. They have no consistent outside threats and their bench is below average

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Philly is still going to suck. They have no consistent outside threats and their bench is below average
                              They have Nick Young, who is off the bench most likely, and can shoot from the outside. Other than that, they don't have any scorers which this team will need badly.

Comment

Denver is now looking like this on the wings (not sure of the positioning George Karl has in mind ):

SG: AI, Hamilton, Fournier
                                SF: Gallo, Chandler, Brewer, Miller

I'm not sure they would be looking for a trade.

They AI, Gallo, and Chandler as the main wing rotation with Chandler and AI capable at 2-guard. Hamilton, Fournier, Brewer, and Miller can fight for scraps as Brewer is an expiring contract, Fournier is on a 4 year rookie deal, Hamilton has 3 years left on his rookie deal, and Miller.... is he even signed yet?

Where Denver is thin is at PF. C is more than covered with McGee, Mosgov, and Koufos. Faried is the starter at PF. They signed Randolph who is still a major question mark. That is it for PF.
                                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Aug 10, 2012, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X