OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I just got a reply from Larry Coon via Twitter, that said a S&T for Fields is still possible, as long as all 3 parties agree to it. NYK would get a TPE worth 50% of the value of the first year of Fields' new contract. If he was signed for $6.3M for the first year, NYK would get a $3.15M TPE, in addition to whatever other assets Toronto traded to them.

I hope BC pushes for a S&T, offering a 2013 2nd round pick as a 'thank you'.

NYK
    - get a free 2nd round pick
    - get a $3.15M TPE to potentially acquire another player even after they are over the cap and finished using their exceptions

TOR
    - if the Lowry & Fields trades are done as the first two transactions, they would reach the salary cap via trades (as opposed to via free agent signings), allowing them to maintain their full MLE, as well as the $7.6M TPE they got for Barbosa
    - wouldn't have to renounce Bayless or Gray (only players that really matter to Toronto, since Weems can't be used in S&T)
    Do you have the tweet?

I follow Coon and didn't see it come up.

Comment

Yes you are right. They'd either have to use the TPE to acquire Fields in the S&T, or they'd have to renounce everybody they have a cap-hold for, to have approx. $12M cap space available (for Fields @ $6.3M & Lowry @ $5.75M). They can't maintain their player rights (ie: Bayless) AND the TPE. The MLE would be retained regardless, so long as Fields is acquired via S&T.
      I'm not sure that is correct.

I asked Coon a question a month back about trading for a player like Gay with little contract going out and the effect on the exceptions. He said they would be kept if the salary cap space is used to facilitate a trade.

So the Raptors could trade for Lowry, then trade for Fields, and have their exceptions left.

Gray could be resigned with his rights and Bayless too.

Comment

• @LarryCoon ...if they take on salary that uses up that cap space, do they have to renounce their exceptions like they would if signing a FA?

Larry Coon Larry Coon

What do you mean by "take on salary?" If they have enough cap space to sign someone, then by definition they already don't have

@LarryCoon ...if they take on salary that uses up that cap space, do they have to renounce their exceptions like they would if signing a FA?

Larry Coon Larry Coon
        @LarryCoon
        ...exceptions. If you mean in trade, then no, they can keep their exceptions.

@LarryCoon Thanks, Larry! Yes, by "take on salary" i meant trade. So if Raps trade for Gay after July 1st, still have Barbosa TPE and MLE?

Larry Coon Larry Coon
        @LarryCoon
        Right.
        Using cap space to facilitate a trade does not impact exceptions - and I would make the assumption a team's own free agents (like Bayless and Gray).

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Do you have the tweet?

I follow Coon and didn't see it come up.
          No, I couldn't copy and paste from twitter. It was a direct reply to one I had sent him. It didn't post on the ESPN twitter section, but it did show up on his twitter page. It came through earlier this afternoon... can't recall the exact time.

Comment

No, I couldn't copy and paste from twitter. It was a direct reply to one I had sent him. It didn't post on the ESPN twitter section, but it did show up on his twitter page. It came through earlier this afternoon... can't recall the exact time.
            I see the Twitter Q&A here:
            https://twitter.com/LarryCoon/status/222777669647998976

@LarryCoon Could Toronto make the Fields signing a S&T, with a 2013 2nd round pick going to NYK, thereby creating a $6.5M TPE for NYK?
            @angrydave2 Yes, the three parties could all mutually agree to do that, but trade exception would be 50% of new salary.
            I'm assuming you're twitter handle is angrydave2?

Comment

I asked Coon a question a month back about trading for a player like Gay with little contract going out and the effect on the exceptions. He said they would be kept if the salary cap space is used to facilitate a trade.

So the Raptors could trade for Lowry, then trade for Fields, and have their exceptions left.

I think you are right, but they'd need to renounce everybody to gain the approx. $10.55M cap space needed to make both trades. Once those trades were made, they'd maintain their MLE and TPE, since they reached the cap via trades.

Fields trade - adds $6.3M
              Lowry trade - adds $4.25M (Lowry $5.75 - Forbes $1.5)

I think they could do the following, in order:
              1) either S&T Bayless for a pick, or renounce him
              2) renounce all other cap holds, freeing up approx $12M cap space
              3) complete Fields S&T deal
              4) complete Lowry deal
              - Raps would be just about right on the cap
              - Raps would still have the MLE and Barbosa TPE, as well as the Room Exception
              - Raps could sign (technically not a re-sign) Gray, using Room Exception at any time

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                I see the Twitter Q&A here:
                https://twitter.com/LarryCoon/status/222777669647998976

I'm assuming you're twitter handle is angrydave2?
                Haha yes. I set it up right after the draft lottery, just to follow nba experts/insiders.

Comment

I think you are right, but they'd need to renounce everybody to gain the approx. $10.55M cap space needed to make both trades. Once those trades were made, they'd maintain their MLE and TPE, since they reached the cap via trades.

Fields trade - adds $6.3M
                  Lowry trade - adds $4.25M (Lowry $5.75 - Forbes $1.5)

I think they could do the following, in order:
                  1) either S&T Bayless for a pick, or renounce him
                  2) renounce all other cap holds, freeing up approx $12M cap space
                  3) complete Fields S&T deal
                  4) complete Lowry deal
                  - Raps would be just about right on the cap
                  - Raps would still have the MLE and Barbosa TPE, as well as the Room Exception
                  - Raps could sign (technically not a re-sign) Gray, using Room Exception at any time
                  I know you know but it should be emphasized this all depends on the NYK facilitating a S&T.

According to ShamSports.com with Ross signed, the Raptors now have $41.075 in committed salary ($41.965 minus Alabi $890k). Add on Ross signing today which is $2.136 and Raptors are at $43.211. As of now JV is still a cap hold.

Assuming S&T with Knicks for Fields, theoretically, Raps could resign Gray and acquire Fields/Lowry without touching TPE or MLE.

One last thing, the Raps would not have a room exception if they have the MLE. It is one or the other. I think I have said in the past they could have both but I would have been wrong.

Comment

• Given the Knicks roster situation with the new CBA, it is no longer an absurdity to think the Raps could not acquire him in a S&T, in my opinion. The Knicks are going to be VERY pressed for ways to add salary outside of trade exceptions or minimum contracts. Using the full MLE or Bi-annual exception gives them a hard cap of $74M this season as well.

Comment

• Creating exceptions for the Knicks is just helping divisional rivals. We have enough movable pieces + amnesty if we need to make a move. I don’t think we see a sign and trade here that clearly helps the Knicks who are in a very uncertain position in our tight division

Comment

• Rebuilding wrote: View Post
                        Creating exceptions for the Knicks is just helping divisional rivals. We have enough movable pieces + amnesty if we need to make a move. I don’t think we see a sign and trade here that clearly helps the Knicks who are in a very uncertain position in our tight division
                        we are on pace to be truly relevant within 3 years...which should be just enough time for the Knicks to implode
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

But to get the cap space we have a pile of renouncing to do basically our own FA's and the TPE. If I am following this discussion correctly.

Comment

Raps could sign Fields in a S&T using TPE after all other business is done.

That would allow the Raptors to use the cap space they currently have in another trade whereby they could take back up to $6.75M ($11M minus difference in Lowry/Forbes contract). They would also have MLE at disposal and would not have to renounce any players.

This is off the top of my head - if anything is wrong, let me know!
                            To make an offer to an UFA we have to be able to give him the salary. I don't think it could be on a condition that the NYK agree to a sign and Trade

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                              To make an offer to an UFA we have to be able to give him the salary. I don't think it could be on a condition that the NYK agree to a sign and Trade
                              Yes, but cant Fields & Toronto mutually void the rfa offer and go the s&t route as long as the numbers were the same? Unless this is against the nba rules of course.

Comment

• Rebuilding wrote: View Post
                                Creating exceptions for the Knicks is just helping divisional rivals. We have enough movable pieces + amnesty if we need to make a move. I don’t think we see a sign and trade here that clearly helps the Knicks who are in a very uncertain position in our tight division
                                Giving NY a 2nd round pick in a weak draft and a $3.15M TPE is worth it, for the Raps to keep their $5M MLE and $7.6M TPE. We could gain a lot more with what we gain, than NY would likely get with what they gain from the deal. BC just has to pitch it as something VS nothing for NY.

Comment

Working...
                                X