OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Someone like Bayless isn't going to accomplish that. They'd have to send Amir Johnson there.
    If Phoenix was wise they'd take Calderon to help transition Marshall - just my biased Raptor opinion, of course.

Oh yeah, and throw Forbes in too.

Comment

• I think Nash wants all his options available to him. If NY is interested, he is going to hear their full pitch. I still have a good feeling about Nash in Toronto.

One concern I had was that Bryan was dipping into his cap space to get Fields at $5M for the first year (or $6.3M on average). Could we do a S&T with NY for Fields using Barbosa's TPE? Or give them Weems & Bayless for Fields (they were interested in Weems, and Bayless could be a solid replacement for Lin).

That way we still have cap space to sign Nash outright, or make other moves.

Why would NY do that if we take Fields from them and prevent them from getting Nash? A TPE could do wonders for them especially if they lose Lin, Fields and lose out on Nash. They would need a PG and could go after a guy like Sessions or perhaps even Lowry from Houston. Plus that TPE would not be enough to get Nash anyway (and you can't package a TPE with other assets to get one person).

Actually scratch my idea of sending them Bayless & Weems.. they could just repackage them to Phoenix in a S&T. I like the TPE idea better.

Comment

• I haven't read this entire thread so someone else may have mentioned this, but a little digging into Synergy's numbers shows that Fields is in fact a pretty shitty defender. Now take this with a grain of salt because I find it hard to believe that BC would be stupid enough to stick Casey with yet another poor defender on the wing and the Raps' in-house scouting may suggest differently, but here are the numbers according to Ball Don't Lie's Kelly Dwyer:

He wasn't any great shakes on the defensive end, either. Fields ranked 341st among NBA players in overall points allowed per play defended, according to Synergy Sports Technology's game charting. When you consider that more than 440 players saw NBA floor-time this season, that not all of them are counted (only guys with at least 25 plays charted appear in the rankings, per Synergy's FAQ) and that Fields played 2,009 total minutes this season (so it's not like he got burned repeatedly for one game and caught a bum stat line), that number looks really, really bad. That he ranked 185th in the NBA or worse in defending pick-and-roll ball-handlers, on post-ups, on spot-ups and in isolation doesn't help matters. (In fairness, we must note that he posted a top-100 finish in defending plays off screens, coming in at 96th overall.)

Not encouraging.

Comment

DeRozan is a cheap player right now. Don't just assume they're going to move him. He might get pushed to the bench at some point this season though. I think Amir and Ed are the guys who should be top on the chopping block given the depth chart. The Raptors have been weak at the wing so to me it doesn't make sense to trade a good cheap one away as soon as they add a couple more players at the position.
          I would not move Amir.
          - plays his ass off
          - phenomenal practice player and example.
          - one of the best PF defenders in the league
          - great in transition
          He does whatever is asked of him.
          - is only slightly overpaid
          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

So if Nash spurns the Raptors after they went after him full steam and had a lot of his fans worked up, what does that do to his public image in Canada?
            as a rap fan he is doing me a favour by not coming here and eating up 36mill for him to play @age 39,40,41

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Has anyone ever noticed there are rarely stories given through 'sources' with Nash?

All stories generally have direct quotes from him or lack the anonymous 'source'.

I don't buy this story because it is well known Nash's inner circle is extremely small and they do not play these games through media personalities such as Aldridge. It is just now how he has ever operated - even when PHX let everyone go who was a part of the Suns glory years and deep playoff run in 2010.

Personally, I think this source is a person connected with the Knicks. I believe Nash to stick to his word and make a decision within 4-5 days. I think the last bit of business is to hear what Dallas says.

Nash spurning the Raptors now would have devastating effects, in my opinion, on his role with Basketball Canada and his Canadian business ventures in retirement.

This is all my opinion.
              I totally agree. Nash has to know that he is walking a very fine line... he either solidifies his place as a national hero, or upsets his entire home country and fans of his home country's only NBA franchise, for teasing them and seemingly stringing them along... whether true or not, he will get nailed to the wall in the court of public opinion, should he choose a team other than the Raptors now (god help him if it's the Lakers)!

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I totally agree. Nash has to know that he is walking a very fine line... he either solidifies his place as a national hero, or upsets his entire home country and fans of his home country's only NBA franchise, for teasing them and seemingly stringing them along... whether true or not, he will get nailed to the wall in the court of public opinion, should he choose a team other than the Raptors now (god help him if it's the Lakers)!
                This is a perfect quote to illustrate how fickle and selfish sports fans really are. The man has earned the right to put himself in the best possible basketball situation, for anyone to criticize him for that is beyond unreasonable. Not disagreeing with you at all that he WILL get crucified, just that it's sad how childish groupthink really is.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  after the Sydney Olympics he wanted out. Watching the likes of Rick Fox, and Jamaal Magloire sit on the sidelines while he and Todd McCullough played their asses off was hard on him.

The firing of Jay Triano was just a convenient excuse for him to bail. Because Triano was part of the contingent who went to woo him with the big offer.

Anyhow look people, I respect him more for going to a playoff team and attempting a ring. Canada does not take care of its own athletes unless they are on ice. So Nash do your thing and seriously do us a favour by leaving the cap space for something more productive albiet less profitable.

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                    This is a perfect quote to illustrate how fickle and selfish sports fans really are. The man has earned the right to put himself in the best possible basketball situation, for anyone to criticize him for that is beyond unreasonable. Not disagreeing with you at all that he WILL get crucified, just that it's sad how childish groupthink really is.
                    The ironic part is that it won't be the hardcore fans that are upset, but more likely the casual fan. I'd be disappointed, but not the least be angry or resentful.

Comment

• I will accept it if he goes to Dallas...I will be happy for him if he decides to end it all in Phoenix....I will BOO the ever loving shit out of him if he signs with either the Heat or the Lakers, because it is completely against his character. I will be in the stands leading the SELL OUT chants
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                        This is a perfect quote to illustrate how fickle and selfish sports fans really are. The man has earned the right to put himself in the best possible basketball situation, for anyone to criticize him for that is beyond unreasonable.
                        i agree with this but think it will be in the medias hands. with luck they can act classy. this one will solely be on tsn. we would just be showing the league we deserve to be a shitty place to play. i think papa burgundy is with me when i say stay classy raps nation

Comment

• if nash really didnt want to come to T.O the respectable thing to do would be to inform BC very early on that T.O wasnt in play for him... if in fact hes useing T.O to drive up his market value with contenders then it would go against everything we believe nash to be about. all i know is the waiting game is growing old now.. id like to know either way soon..its starting to feel like the whole bosh signing saga again to me, only he didnt take 4-5 days into free agency to make his mind up.

on a side note... Chuck Swirsky still thinks Nash chooses Raps..http://twitter.com/swirsk054/status/220521711899127811
                          Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Let me preface this by saying I am not specifically directing this post at you, but at these kind of comments.

I don't know who the Raptors targeted, aside from Nash, but it is already clear that all of the major free agents are not heading to Toronto. All of the UFA's have already put out pretty clear indications of the 2-3 teams they will entertain offers from. TO is high on the list of "destinations not mentioned."

Despite all the Raps fans talk about Davis' potential, Derozan's potential, Amir's potential it is also pretty clear that Bargs and JV are the only desired players on the roster. And to give them up means the Raps are starting over unless they get back more then they give up. Quite frankly, pro teams with even average management don't get fleeced that often.

In a free and unrestricted market, values of commodities tend to reach equilibrium. Players are commodities. So any talk of "I wouldn't pay more than X dollars for a SF, a PG or a C" is just smoke. You must pay what you must pay or watch the players you want disappear into other teams rosters.

So given all that (if you agree with my little summary), I am wondering what "... the prudent or responsbile way of managing a team or trying to build a real contender" is?

We know the Raptors have had to overpay for US born players to come here, unless they took a detour through Europe first (Anthony Parker and Antonio Davis for example), and yet when the Raptors have chased European or South american players the management gets criticized for being "Euro-centric."

All that is left is the draft. So how are the Raptors supposed to improve through the crap shoot that we call the NBA draft? Obviously, they simply have to have scouting staff and player analysis team members who are significantly better than the staff on the other 29 NBA teams. And then have that analysis staff be right at least 75% of the time. that way they can upgrade their roster with 2 good players (for the position they were drafted) in every three years. In other words, they could significantly improve their starting five in only 7.5 years.

Is that what is meant by "prudent management?" I didn't think so. I guess what is meant is management that actually made some of the moves we kind of fantasize about them making, even though there is no way in hell of any of them actually being made. Or maybe what is meant by prudent management is making those 2 or 3 moves every year, out of the 60 that are made, that seem to come late in the season and are judged, with all the accuracy of hindsight, to have been brilliant.
                            Short answer...........yes building through the draft.

No FA's want to come here (which is solely based on being a winning or losing team) and you over spend for lesser talent or can't trade for the type of elite talent you want so then yes, I feel the draft is the best way to acquire top tier talent that is cap-friendly and can be brought through your system.

V Carter, D Stoudamire, C Bosh, T McGrady. Arguably the best players that have put on the jersey and they came via the draft. It can be a crap shoot yes, but if you've already identified that the other options (Free Agency) doesn't work for the Raptors and we have to overpay which is not prudent imho.

JV is the next biggest hope for the Raps, acquired via the draft. Nash would be great but what does it say that he's 38n and offered a boatload of money to come to Canada and play and he is still undecided? Free agency will always be a dead end for the Raps until they can establish the club as a stable winning team in the NBA. Imo, that comes through patience and pain through the draft process.

Cleveland looked in bad shape after Lebron left, and no one is calling them a contender but I love the way they are trying to rebuild and although the jury is out currently on T.Thompson and D. Wiaters, they have an absolute stud in Kyrie Irving to move up with again. Raps are trying to lure Steve Nash. 3 years from now however they will most likely be back here, in the same position again.

Comment

• people are going to be pissed when we sign Grant Hill
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Landry was a good pick over JJ or LK but at 20m little scary Price tag 5.5m per annum

I m so happy my first post

Comment

Working...
                                X