No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now there's talk of Colangelo going after Brandon Rush....(read it on the msg board without a source).

Man oh man, in the words of the great Stephen A. Smith, "I have no idea what Toronto is doing!"

Comment

• Woooo Rush!!
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• if that happens Demar is definitely getting traded
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I hope that does happen, so we can know for sure that BC has something up his sleeve!

Comment

• im not seeing it being reported anywhere
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Now there's talk of Colangelo going after Brandon Rush....(read it on the msg board without a source).

Man oh man, in the words of the great Stephen A. Smith, "I have no idea what Toronto is doing!"
              The world would be a better place if everyone simply ignored SAShole.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                im not seeing it being reported anywhere
                http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball...9970126944-766

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  The world would be a better place if everyone simply ignored SAShole.
                  SAS is right. Nobody has any idea what Toronto is doing, least of all the GM. We're a laughing stock and an embarrassment. We're on track for our 5th straight lottery, yet most of Raps Repub somehow still trust the red-headed clown.

Comment

• i really like Rush so this pleases me, regardless of the hilarious logjam at wing we have
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• NoBan wrote: View Post
                      SAS is right. Nobody has any idea what Toronto is doing, least of all the GM. We're a laughing stock and an embarrassment. We're on track for our 5th straight lottery, yet most of Raps Repub somehow still trust the red-headed clown.
                      He picked arguably the BPA @ #8 (and no, we don't know for certain what trades were available to be made, despite rumors), made the best pitch possible for Nash (it's not BC's fault Nash said no) and I'm sure he had a contingency plan in place for exactly this situation. It's easy to blame BC when success doesn't come quickly, but he's assembled a young, talented group of players with the intention of letting them grow and develop together organically.

I'm not exactly sure what more you're hoping for. It's easy to say he should do this, that or the other thing, but he can only makes trades if the other team agrees to it and can only sign free agents who choose to play here. As fans, we hear about rumors and clamor for certain moves to be made, but we have no realistic view into the inner workings of any NBA GM's office, to really know what could have been done.

Has every move BC has made turned out to be a good one? Nope. But I don't recall a single trade/signing that had fans and experts all saying it was a bad move from the get go... after the fact yes, but not at the time of the deal, so it's hardly fair to use hindsight when evaluating historic moves.

I frankly still like the position the Raptors franchise is in right now - management, coaching staff, roster and cap flexibility - moreso than many other NBA teams.
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        One of my concerns is that Toronto now has Fields, JJ, Kleiza, DeRozan, Ross and Forbes on the wings (excluding Acy, who could slide to SF in a big lineup). That is 6 players, 5 of whom are legit, solid rotation players (Forbes being the exclusion). The problem though, is that none of them are proven high-quality STARTERS, with the possible exception of DeRozan if he continues to improve this year - he is weak defensively and has a horrendous outside shot. Ross could very well become a great starting SG, but he's likely at least a few seaons away from that.

DD - at best, he's a starting SG
                        Ross - solid backup SG, could develop into starter in a few seasons
                        Fields - solid backup SG or SF
                        Kleiza - solid backup SF or PF in a smaller lineup
                        JJ - solid backup SF

I still think the Raptors need to add a legitimate, high quality, veteran starting SF. Even if such a SF (ie: Iggy) is acquired and JJ is traded away, the Raptors are still going to be hard pressed to find enough playing time for all 5 players (the same problem holds true even if they roll with the 5 players they have now). Fields is a decent signing, albeit a little overpaid, but he just adds to the logjam at the wing position on the 2nd unit.
                        I agree for the most part. I think we are going to have to wait to see how any further trades shake out before we can evaluate this signing proper.

I think fields has the potential to be a starter and I am not too worried about his second year stats. I am hoping for a course correction on that front from him. This season was a disaster from a development standpoint for younger players with limited practice time. That coupled with the circus that the knicks were and the style of play they really didn't give him a chance to be successful. I would put Ed Davis in the same boat. Even DD to a lesser extent. The limited practices they got were focused on this defensive philosophy. Would have loved to have Casey and no shortened season for DD since he got here. I can guarantee he would be a better player for it.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          He picked arguably the BPA @ #8 (and no, we don't know for certain what trades were available to be made, despite rumors), made the best pitch possible for Nash (it's not BC's fault Nash said no) and I'm sure he had a contingency plan in place for exactly this situation. It's easy to blame BC when success doesn't come quickly, but he's assembled a young, talented group of players with the intention of letting them grow and develop together organically.

I'm not exactly sure what more you're hoping for. It's easy to say he should do this, that or the other thing, but he can only makes trades if the other team agrees to it and can only sign free agents who choose to play here. As fans, we hear about rumors and clamor for certain moves to be made, but we have no realistic view into the inner workings of any NBA GM's office, to really know what could have been done.

Has every move BC has made turned out to be a good one? Nope. But I don't recall a single trade/signing that had fans and experts all saying it was a bad move from the get go... after the fact yes, but not at the time of the deal, so it's hardly fair to use hindsight when evaluating historic moves.

I frankly still like the position the Raptors franchise is in right now - management, coaching staff, roster and cap flexibility - moreso than many other NBA teams.
                          How can you not be sure what I'm hoping for?? ... It's the immediate firing of Colangelo.

Doesn't come quickly? DOESNT COME QUICKLY? There is no visible path to success here. It's been 4 years and going on 5 of not even sniffing the playoffs and looking to the lotto before the all star game.

You argue that he's done a good job of assembling a young core that can grow organically. 2 issues - 1) if you think DeRo and ED are core pieces, youre a homer and 2) why so hotly and publicly pursue a 38 year old that will change the identity of the team (after we build a defensively minded culture last season)? It's a spectacularly flawed plan that predictably continues to fail.

How can you say he's never made a bad move from the get-go? No other team would have taken Bargnani at 1, Kapono was highly questionable, Fields' offer sheet is a f*&king joke, Triano was a questionable hire at best and will never be a head coach in the NBA again, the ridiculous pursuit of Nash, the trading of Barbosa for nothing, losing Bosh for nothing... that's only a few examples. Just because his moves are not questioned in Homerland (aka Raps Repub), doesn't mean they are not questionable.

As for the Ross pick, I don't have particular issue with adding an athlete that can shoot & defend. But he plays the same position as a recent lotto pick AND we proceeded to grossly overpay another guy that plays that same spot too. How can you trust this man? HOW? HOW? HOW?????????!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

Comment

I put ZERO stock into what most of the American media says about anything raptors. How many raptors games have any of them watched? Probably none in years. They don't even know simple details about the team or its players. (AB is a center apparently) They don't even know how to pronounce raptor players names half the time. (Magic im looking at you) That should tip you off that there is an unfamiliarity. They are spouting off uninformed opinions as gospel and getting paid to do so.

That said. BC could be doing a better job. If there isn't serious on the court improvement this year then I wont be sad to see him go. He has had his chances and his fair share of mistakes.

Comment

• @NoBan

Immediate firing???

I can understand your angst if not agree with it but "immediate"? ... when we are in the midst of a franchise defining period (this entire summer). And replaced with whom? What do you think theramp up time would be for the new honcho...unlessyou want Stefanski. The time to seriously evaluate BC is at the very least mid the upcoming season when the dust settles from the total activities of the summer, the new crew is on the floor and we have at least a rudimentary understanding/view of how the pieces mesh and prospects for the immediate future.

Comment

How can you not be sure what I'm hoping for?? ... It's the immediate firing of Colangelo.

Doesn't come quickly? DOESNT COME QUICKLY? There is no visible path to success here. It's been 4 years and going on 5 of not even sniffing the playoffs and looking to the lotto before the all star game.

You argue that he's done a good job of assembling a young core that can grow organically. 2 issues - 1) if you think DeRo and ED are core pieces, youre a homer and 2) why so hotly and publicly pursue a 38 year old that will change the identity of the team (after we build a defensively minded culture last season)? It's a spectacularly flawed plan that predictably continues to fail.

How can you say he's never made a bad move from the get-go? No other team would have taken Bargnani at 1, Kapono was highly questionable, Fields' offer sheet is a f*&king joke, Triano was a questionable hire at best and will never be a head coach in the NBA again, the ridiculous pursuit of Nash, the trading of Barbosa for nothing, losing Bosh for nothing... that's only a few examples. Just because his moves are not questioned in Homerland (aka Raps Repub), doesn't mean they are not questionable.

As for the Ross pick, I don't have particular issue with adding an athlete that can shoot & defend. But he plays the same position as a recent lotto pick AND we proceeded to grossly overpay another guy that plays that same spot too. How can you trust this man? HOW? HOW? HOW?????????!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!
                                You don't like BC, I get it.

You have to separate the Bosh years and the post-Bosh years, as it is essentially 2 diferent teams. I personally disagreed with the entire approach to build around Bosh, as I thought he was overrated and not a franchise player, but I certainly understand why BC did it and know that any other GM would have done the same. Once Bosh decided on Miami, BC was left with 2 choices: let him walk for nothing, or trade him for 2x 1st round picks and a big TPE. I obviously would have liked to have gotten more, but I was satisfied with the deal, given the circumstances. I have been happy with the legit rebuild that has been underway since Bosh left.

I never said DD/Ed were core pieces or franchise building blocks, but I agree that they were the right draft picks to be made when they were made. They were both widely agreed upon as being BPA when they were picked, same as Ross. The Bargnani pick has been covered too much to get into again, but Bosh made Aldridge redundant (unfortunately and BC wasn't about to draft a backup 1st overall), Roy is retired (despite comeback attempt) and Bargnani was looking like a near-all last season. If Bargnani had been picked 5th overall he wouldn't get nearly the hate that he receives, simply for being picked 1st overall. I will grant you that the Kapono signing was pretty unanimously received as bad from the start. I forgot (blocked?) that one. Lots of moves were ultimately deemed "bad" during the Bosh years, but they are long past and I really only care about the post-Bosh rebuilding years and the future.

The Fields signing was obviously part of the Nash pursuit. First, he hasn't officially signed anything until July 11th, at which time the NYK would have 3 days to match, so he's not even a Raptor yet. Second, the first two seasons @ $5M wouldn't be bad at all, especially if he continues to improve. Third, there's no guarantee that he'd be here for the entire length of the contract - who knows, he could make an attractive trade asset as a $9M expiring contract two years from now. We really can't judge this one until we see what happens over the next few years. And we can't use the "but signing him to such an outrageous contract prevented us from signing or trading for player x" argument, because we have no way of really knowing what offers are actually ever on the table (Houston draft day rumors are perfect case in point).

I have big expectations for BC and my patience is wearing thin, but the strategy he is employing in the post-Bosh era has been sound. Not all the moves have panned out the way we might have hoped, but the same can be said about every GM in the league. Also, without knowing what other moves could have been made, we have no idea whether BC has done the same, better or worse than another GM would have done in his place. We should absolutely question his moves, but I believe in the direction the team is finally taking, with the organic build-from-the-inside approach.
                                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X