No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• between Shump/ JR Smith/ Melo I think Fields realizes he needs to move on. Shump offers tenacious defense and can spot fill at the 1/ JR Smith is an explosive scorer and Melo is black hole/asshole/coach killing/trade forcing mother....sorry...hate players like him...but he is an all star so...Fields is too good to be fourth wing
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
      So what kind of arbitrary number are we aiming for here? 20? 25? 30?

FYI, Kevin Love has a +/- of 1.

Now don't tell me you're going to argue Fields > Love next. Clearly, Love must be playing with MVP-caliber talent huh?
      Arbitrary number of around 30 minutes seems to meet my criteria.

There are many who feel Love is all offensive and no defense, fantasy basketball dream but little contribution to on court wins. This kind of lends credibility given the 'success' Minnesota has had in his first 3 years and the result once Rubio went down this year.

But to imply that Fields is better than Love is not something I agree with at all.

Prime wrote: View Post
      I don't know what you're insinuating here but this is a terrible flamebait. You had more potential when you were a mod.

2/10
      Wow. You really do hold a grudge - just as I thought and that is cool. I apologized when I hurt your feelings before and I've apologized for having a difference of opinion with you now. Isn't that what you are looking for? Otherwise I really don't know what your posts are all about.... You are right!

I'm the first to admit when I am wrong (I think I've done it on these forums 5 times in the last 2 days), you just can't come at me with, "You're wrong because I say you're wrong!"

Comment

• Why are we getting Landry Fields. I thought we are gonna roll with DeRozan/Ross unless one of them is traded. How are we gonna sign for Nash if Fields signs with us.

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
          No need to get defensive. I actually thought Miller was a lock at our pick at 37. It was not an attempt to suggest you were wrong, only to say that there were other options at the 3 that I would have been fine with.

I am concerned with the money they offered Fields. 3 years from now we would have potentially over 20 million in salary locked into him and a 41 year old Nash.

I know it is just one year but this is not the prudent or responsbile way of managing a team or trying to build a real contender.
          Sorry if I misinterpreted tone or context of the conversation.

Much like a signing of Batum, I think this contract to Fields reflects what Minny is doing with Batum: making an offer on the potential they see rather than the production they have shown.

I think Batum has a much higher ceiling than Fields. HOwever, if he does not reach it and Fields come closer to his own ceiling, then Batum could be getting paid 2x the salary for the same type of production.

Comment

• I'm on Team Matt52...in case this comes to fisticuffs
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• calm down ladies.

shut down your work computers and go home.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                Landry can play SF, Derozan is safe

Nash, Bayless
                Derozan, Ross
                Fields, Johnson
                Bargs, Ed
                Val, Amir

Im a big fan of starting next year with this roster.
                Abso-frickin'-Lutely. He's great at SF. Great on D - and rebounds the ball well. Forget strategy (to get Nash), this is a brilliant move. DD is super safe. Thank you Carmelo and Amare. Die, super teams, die.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
                  my next question is > Where are we trading DD to?
                  Maybe the knicks or suns

Comment

• Lol they can have weem's

Comment

• draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                      calm down ladies.

shut down your work computers and go home.
                      at 3:30? ..where do you work?

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                        Abso-frickin'-Lutely. He's great at SF. Great on D - and rebounds the ball well. Forget strategy (to get Nash), this is a brilliant move. DD is super safe. Thank you Carmelo and Amare. Die, super teams, die.
                        +1 exactly what I was thinking

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                          I would like this lineup don't get me wrong....but fields can't really shoot the 3. So we'll have DD and fields who can't spread the floor.

I would rather have Ilyasova, or trade DD for a 2 who can shoot

Comment

• I thought Fields is a 2

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
                              ...I know it is just one year but this is not the prudent or responsbile way of managing a team or trying to build a real contender.
                              Let me preface this by saying I am not specifically directing this post at you, but at these kind of comments.

I don't know who the Raptors targeted, aside from Nash, but it is already clear that all of the major free agents are not heading to Toronto. All of the UFA's have already put out pretty clear indications of the 2-3 teams they will entertain offers from. TO is high on the list of "destinations not mentioned."

Despite all the Raps fans talk about Davis' potential, Derozan's potential, Amir's potential it is also pretty clear that Bargs and JV are the only desired players on the roster. And to give them up means the Raps are starting over unless they get back more then they give up. Quite frankly, pro teams with even average management don't get fleeced that often.

In a free and unrestricted market, values of commodities tend to reach equilibrium. Players are commodities. So any talk of "I wouldn't pay more than X dollars for a SF, a PG or a C" is just smoke. You must pay what you must pay or watch the players you want disappear into other teams rosters.

So given all that (if you agree with my little summary), I am wondering what "... the prudent or responsbile way of managing a team or trying to build a real contender" is?

We know the Raptors have had to overpay for US born players to come here, unless they took a detour through Europe first (Anthony Parker and Antonio Davis for example), and yet when the Raptors have chased European or South american players the management gets criticized for being "Euro-centric."

All that is left is the draft. So how are the Raptors supposed to improve through the crap shoot that we call the NBA draft? Obviously, they simply have to have scouting staff and player analysis team members who are significantly better than the staff on the other 29 NBA teams. And then have that analysis staff be right at least 75% of the time. that way they can upgrade their roster with 2 good players (for the position they were drafted) in every three years. In other words, they could significantly improve their starting five in only 7.5 years.

Is that what is meant by "prudent management?" I didn't think so. I guess what is meant is management that actually made some of the moves we kind of fantasize about them making, even though there is no way in hell of any of them actually being made. Or maybe what is meant by prudent management is making those 2 or 3 moves every year, out of the 60 that are made, that seem to come late in the season and are judged, with all the accuracy of hindsight, to have been brilliant.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                                I thought Fields is a 2
                                He can definitely play the 3 though

Comment

Working...
                                X