OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Pull the offer. That deal looks really stupid without Nash in the equation. Pulling this offer isn't going to damage Colangelo. It not final right now. This is all part of the business. I'd rather roll with the spot being a weakness than roll with a guy getting diuble what he's worth on average.
    +1

Comment

• e2thed wrote: View Post
      If we get Granger then James Johnson and him will need to fight to the death for the spot on the roster. Bad blood.
      interesting.. im sure which ever 1 survives will more then hold the fort LOL...

Comment

Pull the offer. That deal looks really stupid without Nash in the equation. Pulling this offer isn't going to damage Colangelo. It not final right now. This is all part of the business. I'd rather roll with the spot being a weakness than roll with a guy getting diuble what he's worth on average.
        Agree 100%. They're not going to, though.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• If we pull the offer, it would be viewed extremely negatively around the league and Toronto will become even more of a tougher sell. The Raptors took a gamble, they lost, we have to live with the consequences.

Comment

• Mmm.. okay, there's a small chance but it's possible, maybe a a 0.0001% chance that the offer to Fields never had anything to do with Nash. Maybe it was just the media's spin on it. Maybe DeRozan is on the way out, or James Johnson or Kleiza. Maybe Colangelo actually sees Fields as our future small forward for years to come!

LOL.. who am I kidding.. the perils of being a Raptors fan.

Oh and also, I don't think you can pull the offer, in terms of the legality behind it.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

• pakdawgie wrote: View Post
              If we pull the offer, it would be viewed extremely negatively around the league and Toronto will become even more of a tougher sell. The Raptors took a gamble, they lost, we have to live with the consequences.
              Listen, they're not going to sell the place to stars anyway. Pull the offer and keep building from within. You think Ross or DeRozan give a damn about Landry Fields? What about future draft picks who have guaranteed money coming their way?

This contract is going to piss off a lot of people, me included. How are fans ever going to get behind Fields when all he is is a $20M reminder of how pathetic this whole Nash saga was. Everyone on the team right now will be on new contracts when Landry's final whopper of a year hits the books. One would naturally think the core will be getting paid more than they are now. Plus you'll have other players in the mix. They won't pay tax, who will take Landry? Maybe no one and so who gets moved? Probably someone far more important to the cause.

Comment

• Yeah, people are seriously over-valuing the "perception" angle of pulling the offer. Are we really afraid that the Turkoglus and Kaponos might look at Colangelo negatively going forward? If we hang onto Fields, are Chris Paul and Dwight Howard signing here next summer? Seriously guys, there is negligible risk associated with rescinding Fields' offer.

Like Apollo said, build from within, and trade for the rest. Agents' opinions are meaningless if we're not players in free agency.

Comment

• Which we obviously should not be because many times when Colangelo pokes his head into FA he does something stupid which hurts the team in some way.
                  Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 09:29 AM. Reason: iphone

Comment

• No way I can see the offer being pulled.BC will be in this league for a long time. The goodwill developed between himself and player agents would have a tremendous affect on the GM position. Your handshake has to mean something!. If the deal had a pre-set condition so be it. But i think we would have heard of that by now.

Comment

Which we obvious should not be because many times when Colangelo pokes his head into FA he doesn't something stupid which hurts the team in some way.
                      He went all in for Nash! It failed. I don't think it was because of stupidity. Fields may very well be an upgrade of what we have at the three. It was an identified position of need. I would be surprised if he is done yet.

Comment

• I stand corrected, looks like it's okay to pull your offer. Houston did it to Courtney Lee yesterday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/3...ted-free-agent

Just pull it Colangelo.. there's no reason for Landry Fields to be on this team, unless you're hoping to lure Jeremy Lin. The stupid thing was putting all your eggs in one basket though.. they offered Nash that contract and then just stood idle. They should have been running all over the country to speak with Dragic, Lin, Lowry etc.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

• I would be shocked if he was done now because after this Nash/Fields debacle he's not off to a great start in his final year on contract. I expect a trade. He's going to probably have to shake it up that way now. Maybe there is an injury prone vet making $15-25M/yr that he can take a chance on trade for?

Comment

Listen, they're not going to sell the place to stars anyway. Pull the offer and keep building from within. You think Ross or DeRozan give a damn about Landry Fields? What about future draft picks who have guaranteed money coming their way?

This contract is going to piss off a lot of people, me included. How are fans ever going to get behind Fields when all he is is a $20M reminder of how pathetic this whole Nash saga was. Everyone on the team right now will be on new contracts when Landry's final whopper of a year hits the books. One would naturally think the core will be getting paid more than they are now. Plus you'll have other players in the mix. They won't pay tax, who will take Landry? Maybe no one and so who gets moved? Probably someone far more important to the cause.
                            First of all the cap hit is 6.3 million in all 3 years and doesn't spike in year 3. Secondly while sure we can't attract stars, we definitely will always need to attract role players. There is no needing to become a bigger NBA laughing stock than we already are.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                              I stand corrected, looks like it's okay to pull your offer. Houston did it to Courtney Lee yesterday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/3...ted-free-agent

Just pull it Colangelo.. there's no reason for Landry Fields to be on this team, unless you're hoping to lure Jeremy Lin. The stupid thing was putting all your eggs in one basket though.. they offered Nash that contract and then just stood idle. They should have been running all over the country to speak with Dragic, Lin, Lowry etc.
                              Pulling the Q offer is allowed under the CBA

Since we are talking BC's word here, I can't see, nor would I want to see it done

A team may relinquish its right of first refusal, making the player an unrestricted free agent. If a qualifying offer is outstanding, the team can withdraw it unilaterally through July 23. It can be withdrawn after July 23 if the player consents, in which case the player is also renounced as a free agent (see question number 40). If a qualifying offer is not outstanding, then a team can relinquish its right of first refusal at any time by providing written notice.
                              http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43

Comment

• Larry Coon ‏@LarryCoon

It was never officially made. RT @hazburglar: Can Toronto rescind that ridiculous offer for Fields now that Nash isn't going there??
                                I think what Coon means here is nothing is officially offered until July 11th.

While I do hope the Raps pull offer, if both parties have agreed to it verbally, then they should honour it.

However, if Fields has not accepted the offer (i.e. it is still on the table), in the words of Ying Yang Twins, drop that motherf*cker. Unfortunately, that would mean no hot gf courtside but there are consequences to every decision.

Also, if NY matches the offer to Lin, then the Knicks are unable to resign Fields to anything over a minimum contract.

I would have absolutely no problem signing Fields to a $4M per year contract. I think he is worth that assuming he regains pre-Melo form. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X