OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Looks like Toronto will lose the Barbosa TPE and the MLE, if NYK doesn't match.

I'm sure this has been explained 1,000x already, so please forgive my ignorance, but why is it we lose both of these exceptions?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I'm sure this has been explained 1,000x already, so please forgive my ignorance, but why is it we lose both of these exceptions?
      Someone has not been reading the threads!

Basically you can't use cap space under the cap to sign players and then use exceptions that allow you to go over the cap.

It is one or the other.

Adding exceptions to committed payroll takes payroll over the salary cap therefore to use cap space below $58M they have to forfeit the exceptions.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Someone has not been reading the threads!

Basically you can't use cap space under the cap to sign players and then use exceptions that allow you to go over the cap.

It is one or the other.

Adding exceptions to committed payroll takes payroll over the salary cap therefore to use cap space below $58M they have to forfeit the exceptions.
        Right. Thanks!

Haha, and I have been reading; Just not understanding apparently!

Comment

• draftedraptor wrote: View Post
          have you heard anyone better who wants to join us badly?
          no?
          Fields will do.
          The TPE could have been used to acquire another player & the MLE would net us someone of Fields' caliber.

Of course, I'm not being specific. I'm simply asking myself: "Is Landry Fields worth the $19M we are going to pay him & also lose our exceptions? When BC meant flexibility after trading Barbosa, I was imagining someone like Iguodala or Gay in a trade perhaps using the TPE. I guess it's just a downer that at the end of this all, it's Landry Fields.

I think he's a good wing player, maybe fits the secondary wing position if a team had a star forward, but seeing that we have DeMar, Ross, Kleiza and James Johnson, I was not looking for another rotation player.

To address your question, I seriously doubt players want to sign with Toronto straight up, but we can for sure trade for them. Having the salary flexibility not being tied up to Fields would have been spent on someone better? I guess I just can't accept it's Landry Fields (our prized free agency signing).
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Keep in mind, we also acquire her too fellas.

Comment

• Holy crap... that picture took my full 22" screen........................

............... AT WORK! LMAO! haha...

L. Fields is a quality wing player and I hope that he goes back to the productivity that got him noticed when he was a rookie. I agree, the contract is a bit on the high side but it appears as though we need to shell out more cash to attract some free agents.
              #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

• I can't say I'd be disappointed if Knicks match.

Fields is a nice player who brings defence, rebounding and IQ, three aspects that would be welcome here. But he doesn't solve our "hole" at SF. He simply adds to the Kleiza/Johnson platoon. Not the best use of precious cap space, IMO.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  I can't say I'd be disappointed if Knicks match.

Fields is a nice player who brings defence, rebounding and IQ, three aspects that would be welcome here. But he doesn't solve our "hole" at SF. He simply adds to the Kleiza/Johnson platoon. Not the best use of precious cap space, IMO.
                  I agree. I don't think his contract offer was bad, but when you factor in the lost TPE/MLE, it suddenly loses some of its luster.

Comment

• I hope Knicks match as well...Mayo and AK47 would be a better fit IMO.....Fields a 3 to 4 mil ok but 20 over 3 not so much....How hot is Fields chic...good god she is hot!

Comment

• it is what it is wrote: View Post
                      I hope Knicks match as well...Mayo and AK47 would be a better fit IMO.....Fields a 3 to 4 mil ok but 20 over 3 not so much....How hot is Fields chic...good god she is hot!
                      At 6'4", I can't see Mayo playing the 3.

Comment

• Will Knicks Match Landry Fields Offer?

From Hollinger's insider article today

"Count me in among those who think the Knicks will match Toronto's ridiculous offer sheet for Landry Fields. New York doesn't care about salary. The Knicks have proved this, and they have just a three-year window with the Anthony-Stoudemire-Chandler group before they'll need to blow it up anyway. Fields' deal fits perfectly on that timeline, as do the arrangements for Kidd and Marcus Camby.

Besides, New York needs somebody to start at the 2 this season while it waits for Iman Shumpert to return from his late-April ACL injury. If the Knicks don't keep Fields, they need to use either Kidd or some minimum contract guy as their starting shooting guard. It will be bloody expensive, but New York has shown time and again that cost isn't going to stop it from getting a player."

Throw that in with BC saying yesterday that Grunwald told him they were 50/50 to match a couple days ago and we still have hope! I would love the extra cap space (either this year or next) as well as the extra playing time for Ross.

Theres still hope!

Comment

• At least we're getting a guy with a sense of humour.

TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• mountio wrote: View Post
                            From Hollinger's insider article today

"Count me in among those who think the Knicks will match Toronto's ridiculous offer sheet for Landry Fields. New York doesn't care about salary. The Knicks have proved this, and they have just a three-year window with the Anthony-Stoudemire-Chandler group before they'll need to blow it up anyway. Fields' deal fits perfectly on that timeline, as do the arrangements for Kidd and Marcus Camby.

Besides, New York needs somebody to start at the 2 this season while it waits for Iman Shumpert to return from his late-April ACL injury. If the Knicks don't keep Fields, they need to use either Kidd or some minimum contract guy as their starting shooting guard. It will be bloody expensive, but New York has shown time and again that cost isn't going to stop it from getting a player."

Throw that in with BC saying yesterday that Grunwald told him they were 50/50 to match a couple days ago and we still have hope! I would love the extra cap space (either this year or next) as well as the extra playing time for Ross.

Theres still hope!
                            I'm torn. Without knowing what BC would do with the cap space and potentially the TPE and MLE, should Fields be matched by NYK, I'm not sure how I'm feeling or what I'm hoping for.

I like Fields and think he would fit really well into DC's system, especially alongside another dynamic scoring wing. I think his $6.3M average salary is a little high, but not too outrageous, especially since Fields is only 24 and is only signing for 3 years. However, when I factor in that his signing would cost Toronto the Barbosa TPE and the MLE, it suddenly seems a little steep.

Comment

• His contract is not the greatest but he is not ridiculously overpaid - like say a certain Lopez.

I am actually hoping he is a Raptor come Saturday.

Comment

• This is the best ad adlib by any sports guy I have ever seen. Give him the contract. Too fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X