Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Raptors‬ acquire Lowry from Rockets for Forbes & protected 1st (Post #392)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial wrote: View Post
    Nash and Dragic are already gone. Lin over Lowry. No, thank you. We'd grossly overpay to get him and it would just be a publicity stunt. The jury is still out on Lin and his consistency. Lowry is a proven defender. Lin is not.
    I meant at the beginning of free agency, I realize they're gone lol. And you very well may be right about Lin but he's high risk high reward. To get out of the middle of the pack you have to take that risk sometimes. Lowry was a very safe trade and as much as the trade was good value, I doubt it does us any good.

Comment

• Red and White wrote: View Post
      Lowry
      Demar
      Fields?
      Bargs
      Val

and tons of depth.

I like it. Best team we could have since like 5 years ago (would you guys say that is better then the Bosh/Hedo team?).
      Absolutely agree. Although I hope we can find a decent backup center who's last name isnt johnson.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Lin is not better than Lowry and Dragic is not better than Lowry either. Potential only matters if you can reach it, Lin played good but only for a short period of time, same with Dragic. This doesn't push us towards mediocrity, you know why? because we have 3 rookies coming in that can help make us better every year because they will continue growing as a young core and so will our win total. I think you forgot that DeMar, Ross, Acy, Valanciunas, and Ed are all still very young and have a lot of growing to do. As they improve so too will the team
        I'm a strong believer in cutting your losses at a certain point. DD is young yeah but how much are you really expecting from him? Realistically I don't expect much. Acy is a great energy guy but you're kidding yourself if you expect him to turn into Faried over night. Ed...very very average. But as far as Ross and Val go, yeah I'm all for them. I hope they pan out. But as any good GM will tell you, you have to sell when your assets values are still high if you don't see them blossoming.

Comment

• geo wrote: View Post
          what can we get from the mavs tho...we need a 3...i don't really want marion
          Haywood?
          I hope not

Comment

• Rjp981 wrote: View Post
            I'm a strong believer in cutting your losses at a certain point. DD is young yeah but how much are you really expecting from him? Realistically I don't expect much. Acy is a great energy guy but you're kidding yourself if you expect him to turn into Faried over night. Ed...very very average. But as far as Ross and Val go, yeah I'm all for them. I hope they pan out. But as any good GM will tell you, you have to sell when your assets values are still high if you don't see them blossoming.
            Doesn't matter. Some players take a while longer to blossom, BC has always said he wants to improve and grow "organically" so don't expect him to trade any of those guys cept maybe Ed. Btw when did I say Acy is going to turn in Faried over night? he is still going to improve and grow with the team and its just going to take a couple of seasons. I'm a strong believer in letting player grow and develop at their own pace. None of our "core players" have regressed at all so there is no point in trading them this early in their careers. Yes there is a certain point where you should cut your losses and trade the player(s), but if they are gradually improving and playing to the best of their abilities then you should continue letting them instead of trading them. Usually when we let them go they come back and bite you in the ass. If Val is a top 5 or 3 C in 3 or 4 years the raptors will be a 50+ win team book it.

Comment

• Calderon never had a chance. Welcome Kyle Lowry.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Hollinger's take on the raps part in the PG carousel this offseason:

Toronto Raptors: I'm not sure Lowry is really as good as he looked a year ago, but he doesn't need to be given his contract, one of the most valuable in the league and one that will significantly underpay him each of the next two seasons. He was cheap enough that the Raps could get him without having to amnesty Jose Calderon -- even after the laughable Landry Fields deal -- although further deals could yet see Toronto cut Calderon free.

The more likely short-term move will be to renounce their rights to Jerryd Bayless, Aaron Gray, Alan Anderson and Jamaal Magloire. But setting Calderon free could yet leave the Raptors with another $10 million in cap room  enough to chase another quality wing, perhaps, or to avoid renouncing Bayless and Gray.

The point is that the Raptors got themselves a good player while still leaving a ton of options open going forward; the cost will only be high if they manage to screw it up. While past history is not totally encouraging on this point, between a talent infusion (Lowry, Jonas Valanciunas and a full season of Andrew Bargnani) and last season's increased commitment to defense, it does appear the Raptors must be taken seriously as a playoff contender.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• geo wrote: View Post
                  what can we get from the mavs tho...we need a 3...i don't really want marion
                  i agree..there's some square pegs and round holes. But maybe there's a 3rd team with a chisel

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    Hollinger's take on the raps part in the PG carousel this offseason:
                    I raised my eyebrow. Hollinger is saying this:

it does appear the Raptors must be taken seriously as a playoff contender.
                    And without even seeing what comes next. Just wait, Colangelo is going to do something big yet. I don't think they're neccisarily legit playoff contenders as is. If that Iggy trade goes through, book it.

Comment

• i think with what we have we certainly can and should expect to make the playoffs.. as a 6 or 7 seed. i think a trade for a real nice 3 makes us a threat to do some things in the playoffs.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Yeah I forgot anything I read after Hollinger misspelled Bargnani's first name. Andrew? Come on.

Comment

• Best upside ever from this trade: NO MORE INCENTIVE TO TANK!! WOOT. (Or tank really really really hard)
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• http://www.thestar.com/sports

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/05...y-from-rockets

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399993

Raptors get Kyle Lowry in trade with Houston Rockets

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2...lowry_raptors/
                            Last edited by jbml; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• thanks, tips!
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• This trade really is exciting the more I think about it.

Lowry is going to bring something that the Raptors have not seen in a very long time.

His skill set at PG is like nothing we've seen since the TJ days and his skill set on the defensive side of the ball is unlike anything Toronto Raptor basketball has ever seen.

I can't wait for the first pre-season game.

Comment

Working...
                                X