Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors in discussion with 76ers for Igoudala (Thorn denies rumor (#163)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not another tweener.

I am happy we didn't trade for him. Kleiza will prove to be a much better option.

Comment

• draftedraptor wrote: View Post
      Not another tweener.

I am happy we didn't trade for him. Kleiza will prove to be a much better option.
      Wright is a legit SF. No tweener with him. If anything he'd be more of a 2 than 4.

Comment

• From Philly Inquirer:

Already loaded with players at small forward, the 76ers added another on Tuesday, acquiring 26-year-old Dorell Wright from the Golden State Warriors for the NBA draft rights to 2006 second-round pick Edlin Bavcic, according to a league source.

Wright, in the final year of a contract that will pay him $4.4 million, averaged 10.3 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season for the Warriors in 27 minutes per game. He joins a group of Sixers small forwards that includes Andre Iguodala and first-round pick Maurice Harkless.
        The move could indicate yet another move to be made by the team. Still in need of a legitimate power forward and a backup point guard, the Sixers have been stockpiling one- and two-year contracts that make them a more desirable trade partner. They also could be setting themselves up for next season, when the free-agent market will be more robust.
        And then speculation from HoopsWorld.com:

Minnesota and Toronto have long been rumored to be interested in acquiring Iguodala.

The T’Wolves currently have a $45 million offer on the table to restricted free agent small forward Nicolas Batum, but the Portland Trail Blazers are intent on matching the deal. The inability to potentially pry Batum away from Portland may push Minnesota back into trade talks for Iguodala over the next few weeks.

In my opinion, if Minny loses out on Batum, they have a better package than the Raps could offer:

Minnesota: Derrick Williams, Luke Ridnour, non-guaranteed contracts to make the difference, 2-2013 first round picks - plus MIN is not a divisional rival.

Toronto: any combination of Calderon, DD, ED, JJ, Amir.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          From Philly Inquirer:

And then speculation from HoopsWorld.com:

In my opinion, if Minny loses out on Batum, they have a better package than the Raps could offer:

Minnesota: Derrick Williams, Luke Ridnour, non-guaranteed contracts to make the difference, 2-2013 first round picks - plus MIN is not a divisional rival.

Toronto: any combination of Calderon, DD, ED, JJ, Amir.
          Will be interesting to see what comes of both the Batum and Iggy situations. The one thing that Minny can't offer is a good young PF, whereas Toronto has Amir and Davis, should that be something Philly wants in return. Davis would fit nicely into their young core group and is a pure PF, rather than a tweener. I could also see Calderon's $10.5M expiring contract as an attractive asset, since Philly seems to be preparing to be a major player next offseason.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Will be interesting to see what comes of both the Batum and Iggy situations. The one thing that Minny can't offer is a good young PF, whereas Toronto has Amir and Davis, should that be something Philly wants in return. Davis would fit nicely into their young core group and is a pure PF, rather than a tweener. I could also see Calderon's $10.5M expiring contract as an attractive asset, since Philly seems to be preparing to be a major player next offseason.
            I would have to think Derrick Williams is more attractive than Ed and Demar/Ross.
            Also, as noted above, i think that us being a division rival will play in their minds.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
              Why stop there? Let's throw in Linas Kleiza and target Kevin Durant!
              +2

Ahahahaha. Amen.
              i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

• DaveKim wrote: View Post
                I would have to think Derrick Williams is more attractive than Ed and Demar/Ross.
                Also, as noted above, i think that us being a division rival will play in their minds.
                why would derrick will. be more attractive?? because he was picked second?? with that logic.. beasley must be more attractive too then?? all Derrick Will.'s rookie season did was prove alot of doubters right, hes going to struggle to find a place in the NBA because he's a tweener.. why do u think T'Wolves are soo quick to movee him... he was overhyped

Comment

Now BC needs to turn the Fields signing into something similar... 2013 2nd round pick & rights to Zubcic & $3.15M TPE to NYK for Fields (3yrs @ $6.3M per)... make it happen BC! NYK only get a TPE worth 50% of Fields' contract, due to it being a S&T, rather than a trade for a player under an existing contract.
                  speaking of which. any further news on fields?
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                    speaking of which. any further news on fields?
                    Not that I've heard. Though I suppose if they just went ahead and gave him an offer today, NYK have 3 days to match, so it could be a few days before we hear anything official.

Comment

• JerryZgoda profile

JerryZgoda Why there might never be Batum offer sheet if no S-T: Don't burn Martell, Miller, Darko moves in case you need them for move like Iggy

Zgoda is a Doug Smith/Ryan Wolstat equivalent.

Comment

• patience. damn.

i saw a lot of good out of this group last year. hope for bargs to be a more complete player. (never thought i would type that) and for DD and Ed they deserve another year. with the additions of ross, lowry and jv we might be competitive and fun to watch. don't throw all of this out to try and fix it now. our future is youth and we are getting close. i doubt this will happen and i'm glad for that.

ai is a great player, but do not mortgage the future for him. just keep it going.
                        “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

• bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
                          patience. damn.

i saw a lot of good out of this group last year. hope for bargs to be a more complete player. (never thought i would type that) and for DD and Ed they deserve another year. with the additions of ross, lowry and jv we might be competitive and fun to watch. don't throw all of this out to try and fix it now. our future is youth and we are getting close. i doubt this will happen and i'm glad for that.

ai is a great player, but do not mortgage the future for him. just keep it going.
                          If a deal could be made around Calderon, Davis and JJ for Iguodala, I don't think there would be any "future mortgaging" going on at all (age during next season in brackets):

- either Amir (25) or Davis (23) will be the 3rd string PF, being pushed by Acy (22).

- JJ (25/26) is 5th on the wing depth chart, behind DeRozan (23), Fields (24), Ross (21/22) and Kleiza (27/28), with barely enough mintues for 4 players to get sufficient playing time / opportunity to develop, let alone 5.

- Calderon (31) will be a backup PG on a $10.6M expiring contract next season.

--> if these 3 players could be turned into Iguodala (28/29), I don't think the Raptors will even notice they're gone and they will still have a very talented young core of players in place for the long-term. Iggy will only turn 29 next season, so he should still have another 2-3 good years in him beyond the upcoming season.

--> trading Calderon & Davis & JJ would actually SAVE the Raptors about $0.9M next season, so it's not as though Iggy's contract would be an albatross.

--> Calderon would be the most missed, since a new backup PG would need to be acquired. Ironically, he's the most expendable though, given his age and contract status.

LINEUP AFTER IGGY TRADE
                          C: Valanciunas (20), Gray (27/28)
                          PF: Bargnani (27), Amir (25), Acy (22)
                          SF: Iggy (28/29), Kleiza (27/28)
                          SG: DeRozan (23), Fields (24), Ross (21/22)
                          PG: Lowry (26/27), ???

That is a good, young lineup that clearly has the long-term future in mind. That is not a roster that is mortgaging its future (even if DeRozan happened to be involved in a trade for Iggy; though I'd prefer to get it done without giving up DeRozan).
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 11, 2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

If a deal could be made around Calderon, Davis and JJ for Iguodala, I don't think there would be any "future mortgaging" going on at all (age during next season in brackets):

- either Amir (25) or Davis (23) will be the 3rd string PF, being pushed by Acy (22).

- JJ (25/26) is 5th on the wing depth chart, behind DeRozan (23), Fields (24), Ross (21/22) and Kleiza (27/28), with barely enough mintues for 4 players to get sufficient playing time / opportunity to develop, let alone 5.

- Calderon (31) will be a backup PG on a $10.6M expiring contract next season.

--> if these 3 players could be turned into Iguodala (28/29), I don't think the Raptors will even notice they're gone and they will still have a very talented young core of players in place for the long-term. Iggy will only turn 29 next season, so he should still have another 2-3 good years in him beyond the upcoming season.

--> trading Calderon & Davis & JJ would actually SAVE the Raptors about $0.9M next season, so it's not as though Iggy's contract would be an albatross.

--> Calderon would be the most missed, since a new backup PG would need to be acquired. Ironically, he's the most expendable though, given his age and contract status.

LINEUP AFTER IGGY TRADE
                            C: Valanciunas (20), Gray (27/28)
                            PF: Bargnani (27), Amir (25), Acy (22)
                            SF: Iggy (28/29), Kleiza (27/28)
                            SG: DeRozan (23), Fields (24), Ross (21/22)
                            PG: Lowry (26/27), ???

That is a good, young lineup that clearly has the long-term future in mind. That is not a roster that is mortgaging its future (even if DeRozan happened to be involved in a trade for Iggy; though I'd prefer to get it done without giving up DeRozan).
                            just do not want it. still think ed and dd deserve a chance. agreed that we need jc for another year. otherwise we are a pg short. just after all this time do we not want to see what dd and ed can do given a full season? i know i do. it is worth the wait.
                            “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

• bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
                              just do not want it. still think ed and dd deserve a chance. agreed that we need jc for another year. otherwise we are a pg short. just after all this time do we not want to see what dd and ed can do given a full season? i know i do. it is worth the wait.
                              I'd like to keep Davis and DeRozan. However, if I could turn Davis & JJ & Calderon into Iguodala, I'd do it in a heartbeat without thinking twice. Even if they demanded DeRozan be included, I might still consider it, though that would be a tough call...

We'd still have Amir at backup PF, plus Acy, so Davis is expendable.

Same goes for JJ at SF - we'd still have 5 wings even after trading JJ away, so he's definitely expendable. Not only does the trade make our starting wings better (Iggy & DeRozan), but by adding Iggy it pushes Fields to the bench (Fields, Ross and Kleiza), making our 2nd unit even stronger.

Yes I would hate to see Calderon go, but it's the smart move to make. There are plenty of backup PG available via trade or free agency.

I could see a 2nd unit of Amir, Kleiza, Fields, Ross and PG-TBD being very strong.

Comment

• Give it a rest! its not happening! But keep dreaming though, its free!!

Comment

Working...
                                X