No announcement yet.

Jerryd Bayless Unrestricted Free Agent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the qualifying offer was made for purposes of sign and trade if need be. I don't think he was in their long term plans. It seems like a good S & T opportunity did not arise and so the offer was withdrawn. It will become clearer when/if he signs with another team. Colangelo has always built teams comprising of two quality point guards(Jose/Ford, Jose/Jack). Jose/Bayless was a rebuilding experiment. Lowry/Jose sounds good but would be expensive. I still think that Jose will be traded or if needed, amnestied. Probably traded considering his expiring contract. Knowing Colangelo's style, I think we can expect a quality backup PG if it's not Jose.
    Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 05:02 PM.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Calderon? Growing sense w/rival teams is Raps either use Spaniard's expiring deal in trade or just keep him. Scratch him from amnesty lists
      That's good news. I would hate to see Calderon get Amnesty

Comment

I am not absolutely sure he is gone yet. We can still sign him, may even have a deal in place. He is an unrestricted FA, we have lost our right to match an offer that is all. We are right at he cap level due to his Cap hold. I am quite positve he would not sign anywhere for close to his Cap Hold of between 7 and 9 mil. Yea I am a bayless fan

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          HAHAHAH

Oh man ... this was good.

But seriously ... this is very upsetting for me.
          I had alot of time and debate invested in Bayless.

You all watch though ... he's going to be BIG one day. You'll see.
          +1 I agree 100% with you on that one. I think Bayless will be big one day look at his per 36 stats.
          We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Calderon? Growing sense w/rival teams is Raps either use Spaniard's expiring deal in trade or just keep him. Scratch him from amnesty lists
            Withdrawing the Q offer to Bayless may very well increase Calderon's trade value. His cap hold saves us pretty much the same as Calderons salary and would send a signal that he (Calderon) is staying. I am sure there are rival GM's that would think we would amnesty Jose and would adjust any offers accordingly.

Comment

well either bayless or calderon was on their was out with the acquisition of lowry so this maybe just letting bayless go...maybe in a S&T but i really doubt we can get much for him unless he is part of a package deal.

This could also be BC trying to resign him to a long term contract, keep him and deal Calderon

Not sure whats going to happen, but BC is going to do somethng...

Comment

I personally think Bayless makes way more sense than Calderon as a back up, considering Calderon's contract this should be a no brainer. Plus I would hate to have two point guards each getting 20-24 min. a game, that would be pointless in my opinion, those resources should be used to fill gaps in our lineup not get us unnecessary depth.

I hope Colangelo will either be resigning Bayless, or dealing Calderon with the plan of acquiring a true prototypical back up PG.
                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Toronto trade Bayless + Fields (Sign and Trade) + Ed Davis for Andre Igoudala + Louis Williams (sign and trade)

Comment

Think of it this way: Lowry can learn a lot from Calderon. Sure Bayless has a lot of potential, but Lowry is the future PG of this team.
                    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Love and hate

I hate you BC
                      I love you BC
                      It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

KC Johnson: Add two names to Bulls' free-agent possibles: Michael Redd and Jerryd Bayless, who just became a UFA after Toronto pulled qualifying offer. Twitter

Ryan Wolstat: Had been told Raptors would not match any decent offer on Bayless, but not that they'd make him unrestricted. Twitter

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Comment

I'm happy to see Bayless go, but am suprised the Raps couldn't get even a 2nd round pick in a S&T deal. There are only 2 reasons I can understand this move:

1. The team that wants to sign him has ample cap space and won't play games with the Raptors, saying they'd rather not sign Bayless than be forced to giveup an asset to acquire him via S&T. Basically a team called Toronto's bluff of wanting to match an offer, and Toronto just let him walk so he could sign with the team in question without the hassle of the 3-day RFA waiting period. I think that's a smart, classy move on BC's behalf, to keep him in good standing among his fellow GMs (for karma and future goodwill).

2. Toronto has a big trade brewing and needs the cap space that Bayless' qualifying offer (approx. $4.2M) is eating up. Iggy would seem to make too much sense, just based on him seeming to be a BC/DC type of veteran SF and Philly having need for a veteran PG (and possibly PF) - the match is an obvious one, especially given yesterday's rumor. Rudy Gay would be even better, but I highly doubt it's likely to happen. I suppose Deng is another possibility too.
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I actually think Bayless has tons of potential. But i think, Calderon should back-up Lowry. Think of what Lowry can gain playing with Caldy. Plus i really want Jose to retire a raptor, he deserves that at least.

Comment

Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
                              I actually think Bayless has tons of potential. But i think, Calderon should back-up Lowry. Think of what Lowry can gain playing with Caldy. Plus i really want Jose to retire a raptor, he deserves that at least.
                              I also can't see Bayless being happy stuck in backup role behind Lowry. We saw has much he moped last year and played half-assed when he wasn't starting, playing behind an established guy... I can only imagine how much worse he'd be playing behind a guy who lost his starting job last year.

I really like Calderon and think he's an ideal veteran backup behind Lowry. I could see the Raptors liking him for 3 reasons: first, as trade bait this offseason to land a high priced veteran SF; second, for the same reason, but at the trade deadline; third, to re-sign to a cheaper contract after the season, to be a much more affordable veteran backup to Lowry for the next 2-3 years.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I also can't see Bayless being happy stuck in backup role behind Lowry. We saw has much he moped last year and played half-assed when he wasn't starting, playing behind an established guy... I can only imagine how much worse he'd be playing behind a guy who lost his starting job last year.

I really like Calderon and think he's an ideal veteran backup behind Lowry. I could see the Raptors liking him for 3 reasons: first, as trade bait this offseason to land a high priced veteran SF; second, for the same reason, but at the trade deadline; third, to re-sign to a cheaper contract after the season, to be a much more affordable veteran backup to Lowry for the next 2-3 years.
                                id be down for calderon to back up lowry but the only issue is that lowry had issue with houston because they played dragic over him and felt like only one of them could be in houston. ironically neither are there. I honestly dont mind if calderon or bayless were our backups both have pros and cons but it will be interesting to see what BC does

Comment

Working...
                                X