Wolstat: JJ not likely to return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade Demar Derozan before James Johnson

I would trade Demar Derozan first before James Johnson.

- Derozan is over-rated and over-hyped. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but not more than an athletic wing that can only score. Not a good rebounder or passer or defender. Other teams would tend to over-value Derozan a lot more than over-value James Johnson because of his scoring. JJ is a good solid backup SF simply with his defensive intensity, toughness and athleticism.

- Derozan can help us land a quality SF through trade. Let TRoss and LFields care for the 2 as we look for a solid 3 first.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
      You have 12 active guys. Isnt the right split
      JC/KL
      DD/QR/LF/JJ/LK
      AB/JV/ED/AJ/AG

With Quincy Acy as a garbage man who hopefully has better suits than Reggie Evans?

We certainly dont need MORE big men. A third PG I could talk myself into certainly ..

?
      I actually hope Acy cracks the everyday rotation. As a backup big, I like what he brings to the table much more than Davis.

Comment

We need shooters. With Fields and Ross (being known to be good defenders) will make JJ expendable because he is a defender, without a great shot. Everyone is talking about Rush and Wright, I like them both, but I would much rather a veteran.

Honestly though, I'd rather have Kleiza go, but since JoVal is coming, someone needs to blanket the big man.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          We need shooters. With Fields and Ross (being known to be good defenders) will make JJ expendable because he is a defender, without a great shot. Everyone is talking about Rush and Wright, I like them both, but I would much rather a veteran.

Honestly though, I'd rather have Kleiza go, but since JoVal is coming, someone needs to blanket the big man.

Rush and Wright were my ramblings. Rush came from a GSW scribe rumour. Wright came from the known fact GS wants him gone.

As for veterans: Wright will be entering his 9th season and Rush his 5th. Does that not classify as veterans?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Rush and Wright were my ramblings. Rush came from a GSW scribe rumour. Wright came from the known fact GS wants him gone.

As for veterans: Wright will be entering his 9th season and Rush his 5th. Does that not classify as veterans?
            Years in the league I guess, but no so much 'experience' in the league compared to an older player like Raja Bell, or Grant Hill. Seen playoffs, defended best players, made big plays. The guy who's seen EVERYTHING. Just my opinion on a veteran.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I wonder if a deal could be worked out that is basically Bayless (S&T) for Wright. If Jenkins were included (non-guaranteed), then JJ could also possibly be included.

Wright would provide 3pt sharpshooting for the Raptors, essentially replacing JJ (Raps would still have 5 wings, or 6 if only Bayless is included).

Bayless would be a good backup/insurance PG behind Steph Curry and I think he'd fit really well into GSW's up-tempo style of offense.

Bayless' QO was roughly the same amount as Wright's contract (~ $4.1M), so a deal would seemingly work salary-wise.

Comment

Years in the league I guess, but no so much 'experience' in the league compared to an older player like Raja Bell, or Grant Hill. Seen playoffs, defended best players, made big plays. The guy who's seen EVERYTHING. Just my opinion on a veteran.
                Given how loaded Toronto already is at the wing positition (DD, JJ, Kleiza, Ross, Fields), the only "experienced veteran" that I would bother trading for is somebody like Iggy or Deng. I personally think Wright would be a good minor addition, who would also fit that veteran description. Otherwise I'd target a talented young veteran (ie: Gay). I personally want nothing to do with guys like Bell or Hill. Yes they are veterans, but their best days are well behind them and aren't worth what it would likely cost to acquire them (ie: salary and/or assets).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Surprised no one caught this tweet. On iPhone so someone else can find the tweet for me. From last night I believe.

Sign and trade for Rush or trade for Wright in GS would be fine with me. Much prefer Rush.
                  How bad was his "implosion" with Casey? I don't get getting a rid of you best defender for a minor infraction (or was it minor?)?

Comment

changv10 wrote: View Post

- Derozan is over-rated and over-hyped. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but not more than an athletic wing that can only score. Not a good rebounder or passer or defender. Other teams would tend to over-value Derozan a lot more than over-value James Johnson because of his scoring. JJ is a good solid backup SF simply with his defensive intensity, toughness and athleticism.

- Derozan can help us land a quality SF through trade. Let TRoss and LFields care for the 2 as we look for a solid 3 first.
                    What would you "expect" for DD?
                    DD & JJ for D Williams? (apparently Minnie is "shopping" Williams).

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      Isn't Ben Uzoh going to be the 3rd point guard? He had a triple double!
                      If we let JB walk -not much of a choice.
                      What happened with Machado? Apparently he was not drafted. Being a 3rd PG, Jose leaves next year -Machado has a chance to be a backup. Would that interest him?

Comment

someone snatched him up already, forget who. houston?
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
                          How bad was his "implosion" with Casey? I don't get getting a rid of you best defender for a minor infraction (or was it minor?)?
                          I'm not sure JJ is the best defender. If you are going on steals and blocks, then yes, other metrics, then no.

Also, DC has been talking about shooters. He wants shooters. JJ is not a shooter. Please don't kill the messenger.

Finally, if JJ thinks he is a starter and is unhappy with anything less and DC does not think he is a starter, it might be best to part ways. Cancers are not healthy in humans or on basketball teams. I am not saying JJ is a cancer but saying DC may view him as a cancer - that is not something I am privy to..... unfortunately.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            someone snatched him up already, forget who. houston?
                            For their summer league roster.

Comment

changv10 wrote: View Post

Jeez. Now that you've let the cat out of the bag, all the GM's in the league are going to know he is over-hyped! Damn. Raps could have really managed a one-sided trade if not for you blurting the truth out like that. ;-)

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Mind if I ask for a bit of clarification on this?

For me, these are two guys who left EVERYTHING out on the floor and gave 120% everynight, no matter what.

I'm actually quite the opposite. If both these guys are gone, I would be more than a little upset.
                                I agree with you 100% joey. Bayless produced at an ELITE level whenever he had a chance to start, he has been referred to defensively by dwayne casey as: "Our best on the ball defender" and he shot 42% from the 3 pt line last year, which was a huge weakness for our team last year. James johnson became the first raptor to EVER lead the team in both steals and blocks, his shooting improved as the season went on and he is a stat stuffer.

How people can be so happy that these guys will not be returning is beyond me.

I've said this before and I will say it again, sometimes I think we need to change the name of this website to "HatersRepublic".
                                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Working...
                                X