No announcement yet.

Johnson A Possible Amnesty Cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By now BC should have a pretty good what Jose is worth having tried to trade him for a bit now. The statement that the Raps are going to keeo Jose to backup Lowry I think is meant to dampen thoughts out there that Jose could be got on the cheap after an amnesty and so encourage the trade scenario.

Comment

The only player Colangelo has ever mentioned in the context of Amnesty is Jose Calderon and only when talking about signing a big free agent (who was obviously Steve Nash at the time). And you have to read into Colangelo's comments to interpret that answer because Colangelo will never say anything directly except he has flexibility.

Colangelo is extremely careful about what he says to the media - he would never directly say the Raptors would amnesty anyone until it was a sure thing. That "Note" at the end of the insider report about amnestying Amir carefully does not include a reference to a source - it's pure speculation based on opinion.

And Colangelo will happily tell anyone who asks that Coach Casey loves Calderon.
      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Something else to remember is Amir was coming off surgery last summer which he reportedly put off too long at the start of last summer (if my memory serves correct).

He was limited to just upper body workouts last year.

I hope he is working hard this summer.

He is a great big off the bench when healthy.

Comment

It is really frustrating to read what some posters on RR and other writers have to say about Amir. Not one person has given a legitimate reason why we should amnesty Amir. Most will try and bring up his contract, I say put up some numbers of guys making similiar coin and let's talk. I'm not sure if it was Matt or another poster who put up a list of comparable forwards making the same money and their stats a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised and am still firmly in his bandwagon, as long as he is our reserve big man/emergency starter.

Comment

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
            It is really frustrating to read what some posters on RR and other writers have to say about Amir. Not one person has given a legitimate reason why we should amnesty Amir. Most will try and bring up his contract, I say put up some numbers of guys making similiar coin and let's talk. I'm not sure if it was Matt or another poster who put up a list of comparable forwards making the same money and their stats a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised and am still firmly in his bandwagon, as long as he is our reserve big man/emergency starter.
            The only "legitimate" reason I've seen posted, is if the cap space is urgently needed to faciliate a blockbuster trade and BC is unable to find an acceptable trade for Amir that would also clear sufficient cap space. That scenario would essentially be like including Amir in the blockbuster trade, but having to pay his salary (minus whatever amount he winds up getting signed for off waivers/free agency). Other than that, I agree that there's no point to amnesty him.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              The only "legitimate" reason I've seen posted, is if the cap space is urgently needed to faciliate a blockbuster trade and BC is unable to find an acceptable trade for Amir that would also clear sufficient cap space. That scenario would essentially be like including Amir in the blockbuster trade, but having to pay his salary (minus whatever amount he winds up getting signed for off waivers/free agency). Other than that, I agree that there's no point to amnesty him.

Thanks for that CalgaryRapsFan, I did read that post earlier from Apollo, and i'm totally onboard with that line of thinking. My post was more directed to the posters and writers who write him off as a bad contract, with nothing factual to back up their opinions. I'm fine with the Raps trading him for the better of the team, I just dont see it as a necessity to amnesty anyone on our team as some others do.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Something else to remember is Amir was coming off surgery last summer which he reportedly put off too long at the start of last summer (if my memory serves correct).

He was limited to just upper body workouts last year.

I hope he is working hard this summer.

He is a great big off the bench when healthy.
                +1

Comment

I haven't seen that article but I think from what was quoted it looked more like a hypothetical, looking at each team and saying "If a team finds themselves in a situation where a player needed to be Amnestied, who would it be."

To me that guy is Amir Johnson for these reasons:
                  (a) He's the most logical of the 3 (Calderon, Kleiza, Johnson) because we have many who play his position and he has the most years remaining combined with salary.
                  (b) He's not really part of the future unless Ed Davis is traded.
                  (d) $7M is a bit high for a 7th man.

I wouldn't really worry though, because there's absolutely no reason to amnesty him unless we are making room for a better player. If that happens, you should be glad we amnestied him.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Because the Raptors aren't fighting to stay below the tax threshold. They don't need cap relief next year. All cap relief will do for them is reduce their payroll number closer to the salary cap. It won't reduce their payroll to the point that they can be free agent buyers next off-season, not to accomplish anything significant that they couldn't do with the MLE. If they can't be buyers with the expiring contract and they're not fighting the tax threshold then who is his expiring deal benefiting? Not you the fan when his deal runs out and he potentially leaves free.
                    Thank you. I missed the obvious. Get rid of Calderon. :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X