Bayless A Grizzly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

special1 wrote: View Post
    I'm obviously just frustrated so please take it easy on me....what are your thoughts about the direction so far???
    I for one am happy to see Bayless leave. I'm sure BC tried to get something in return for him, but given the fact that he signed a 1 year deal (2nd year is player option) at $1M less than his QO, I think it's safe to say that other teams had no interest in him and had no desire to giveup anything to get him.

I've been quite pleased with the offseason thus far and think the Raptors will be a much improved team next year, even if the roster makeover is done - which I'd be willing to bet is far from the truth.

Improvements
    - add Valanciunas
    - add Ross
    - add Acy
    - upgrade Bayless to Lowry
    - upgrade Forbes to Fields
    --> all it cost us was a conditional 1st round pick

I agree that Fields might be a little overpaid, but given the circumstances behind the offer, I am fine with it. If he returns to the form he showed in his rookie year (aka 'pre Carmelo' era) and shows improvement over the next three seasons, I think he will be worth an average of $6.3M per season (for comparison, Amir will make $6.5M on average over the next 3 seasons). It's really only year 3 in which he could be overpaid, but he'd be a young wing on an approx. $9M expiring contract, so who knows what will happen down the road.

Given all the expendable assets at his disposal (Amir/Davis, JJ and possibly Calderon or even DeRozan), I think there is plenty of opportunity to further improve this roster this offseason.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 11, 2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify the $9M expiring in fields 3rd year is cash, the cap hit in year 3 is still 6.3

Comment

Quirk - maybe you should check his stats before replying....

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/landry...eer_stats.html

He started 62 of 66 games....

8.8 ppg, 26% 3-pt, 56% free throw is amazing to you????

I respectfully disagree with you on that one....i dont care much for the stats crowd if they're impressed with those numbers!

I like Davis and JV....hell i even like Lowry (due to his toughness and defence)....i'm not impressed by the Landry Fields i saw last year and I'll reserve the right to comment on Ross when he actually steps foot on the NBA floor.....same should go for JV (although i believe he will be a good player for us)

Comment

Thanks CalgaryRaps

This is the kind of rationalizing i was looking for..... you make it seem not so bad after all.....Although I still have very little faith in BC

As per your reply..

Improvements
          - add Valanciunas
          - add Ross
          - add Acy

Do you realize that our "hopes" land on 3 players that never played 1 nba game?? I thought BC said 3 rookies would be too much??....I guess it's just hard for me to accept this fact as "an improvement"...maybe in a few years but this year?? MAYBE

Our outside shooting was horrible last year.....i hope Landry Fields can go back to his rookie year shooting wise!! *praying*

Comment

Many years ago I discovered it was pointless to argue basketball with Quirk, because he doesn't know anything about basketball (and has freely admitted so on several occasions). He is a great guy though.

I think Landry Fields will start or be the first guard off the bench, unless we acquire someone else in the next 3-4 months.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/landry...eer_stats.html

He started 62 of 66 games....

I respectfully disagree with you on that one....i dont care much for the stats crowd if they're impressed with those numbers!

I like Davis and JV....hell i even like Lowry (due to his toughness and defence)....i'm not impressed by the Landry Fields i saw last year and I'll reserve the right to comment on Ross when he actually steps foot on the NBA floor.....same should go for JV (although i believe he will be a good player for us)
              He didnt play well with melo. Check his pre-melo numbers they're 20 million worthy or atleast close to it. also check the analytics for him he's 8th for WP48 and hes an efficient scorer and rebounder. He may not be worth the 20M but he's definately a solid pickup

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                Just to clarify the $9M expiring in fields 3rd year is cash, the cap hit in year 3 is still 6.3
                Good point. From a cap standpoint, it's a 3 year deal at $6.3M per season.

I recall somebody posting a few months ago a comparison of all players making probably $4-8M per season, to illustrate that Amir's contract isn't actually all that bad - $6M this season, $6.5 next season and $7M the season after that ($6.5M avg). If Amir's contract is decent, then Fields is actually pretty good and could get even better if he plays up to his potential and improves over the next few seasons. He's already a decent defender, who I think could excel defensively in DC's system. If his outside shot returns to the form he displayed in his rookie year, I think he'll earn his contract.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Good point. From a cap standpoint, it's a 3 year deal at $6.3M per season.

I recall somebody posting a few months ago a comparison of all players making probably $4-8M per season, to illustrate that Amir's contract isn't actually all that bad - $6M this season, $6.5 next season and $7M the season after that ($6.5M avg). If Amir's contract is decent, then Fields is actually pretty good and could get even better if he plays up to his potential and improves over the next few seasons. He's already a decent defender, who I think could excel defensively in DC's system. If his outside shot returns to the form he displayed in his rookie year, I think he'll earn his contract.
                  +1 I imagine he'll play close to his rookie numbers with the raptors since melo isnt in toronto

Comment

LOL

Wrong stats.

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/220-landry-fields

career numbers are ts% 55.5, wp48 .198, 8.6 Rebounds per 48min, etc.

As mentioned, the stats crowd loves this guy. Wages of Wins listed his "value at minutes played" at $15M per year. I guess they should check their stats too, huh?

Care to explain how he's the "8th man" again?

Comment

After getting tossed away by the Raps reports say that Bayless signs a 2 year deal with Memphis for $3 million per....

Question...

Did Collangelo not see any value in Bayless?? He signs Landry Brick Fields for 20 million (NY fans are laughing at us right now).....and couldn't retain Bayless for 6 million (unconfirmed)????

I am soooo pissed......so Excuse me if my VENTING offends anyone (very sorry)...so let me start out with this:

BC is the ultimate DOUCHEBAG GM.....i want him GONE!!!! That felt good to get off my chest!

He claims to be rearing to go, to make us better.....In all honesty i think we might be worse.....how do you say?? Well, dispite the fact that many teams in the EAST seem to be improving.....

1a) He basically threw Bayless away to anyone who wants him for NOTHING....WTF happened to all that flexibility he talked about?????

1b) We could've picked Scott Machado with our last pick in the draft (i was told second round picks weren't guaranteed anyways)....instead we pick another no name euro who wont be around for years

1c) What if Lowry or Calderon goes down with an injury (which is very possible)??? UZOH....lmfao

2) We're relying on NY's 8th man last year (who we're likely to pay 20 million over 3 years) to be our starter at 2 or 3??...lmao (check his stats from last year - 20 million???)

3) We're giving up a first round pick in the near future..... which shitty teams should not be doing!....we should be taking first round picks!!!

4) Still no real solution at SF on this team (we have a ridiculous amount of tweeners)

5) There are still some potentially good free agents out there (i see you O.J Mayo)....i could see him being our starting shooting guard (thats assuming DD can play the SF as we've been told numerous times).....why not give O.J. Mayo 20 million??

Many of us argued last year that the keys should've been handed to Bayless to start last year in our supposed rebuilding year......we were told by many on RR that Bayless was not a good point guard and Jose helped the team be less of a shitty team.... gee thanks! What did we have to lose?.....we may've gotten a top 5 pick instead of a top 8!!!

I'm not saying that BC is done *improving our team*.....I'm just trying to figure out what the hell he's doing!!! Is he waiting for the Magic to trade Howard???

Just to be clear ....I've been a RaptorFan for about 16 years....I'll always be a RaptorFan.....long after BC and DC are fired or retired

I'm obviously just frustrated so please take it easy on me....what are your thoughts about the direction so far???

On a positive note:

1) I really think this Ross kid has talent.... (although i didnt see him as a 8th pick)
                      2) I like Quincy Acy - tough kid with the mold of a Wilcox/Reggie Evans
                      3) REALLY Looking forward to see JV play in the nba this year
                      Calm down and chill out... -.-

Comment

After getting tossed away by the Raps reports say that Bayless signs a 2 year deal with Memphis for $3 million per....

Question...

Did Collangelo not see any value in Bayless?? He signs Landry Brick Fields for 20 million (NY fans are laughing at us right now).....and couldn't retain Bayless for 6 million (unconfirmed)????

I am soooo pissed......so Excuse me if my VENTING offends anyone (very sorry)...so let me start out with this:

BC is the ultimate DOUCHEBAG GM.....i want him GONE!!!! That felt good to get off my chest!

He claims to be rearing to go, to make us better.....In all honesty i think we might be worse.....how do you say?? Well, dispite the fact that many teams in the EAST seem to be improving.....

1a) He basically threw Bayless away to anyone who wants him for NOTHING....WTF happened to all that flexibility he talked about?????

1b) We could've picked Scott Machado with our last pick in the draft (i was told second round picks weren't guaranteed anyways)....instead we pick another no name euro who wont be around for years

1c) What if Lowry or Calderon goes down with an injury (which is very possible)??? UZOH....lmfao

2) We're relying on NY's 8th man last year (who we're likely to pay 20 million over 3 years) to be our starter at 2 or 3??...lmao (check his stats from last year - 20 million???)

3) We're giving up a first round pick in the near future..... which shitty teams should not be doing!....we should be taking first round picks!!!

4) Still no real solution at SF on this team (we have a ridiculous amount of tweeners)

5) There are still some potentially good free agents out there (i see you O.J Mayo)....i could see him being our starting shooting guard (thats assuming DD can play the SF as we've been told numerous times).....why not give O.J. Mayo 20 million??

Many of us argued last year that the keys should've been handed to Bayless to start last year in our supposed rebuilding year......we were told by many on RR that Bayless was not a good point guard and Jose helped the team be less of a shitty team.... gee thanks! What did we have to lose?.....we may've gotten a top 5 pick instead of a top 8!!!

I'm not saying that BC is done *improving our team*.....I'm just trying to figure out what the hell he's doing!!! Is he waiting for the Magic to trade Howard???

Just to be clear ....I've been a RaptorFan for about 16 years....I'll always be a RaptorFan.....long after BC and DC are fired or retired

On a positive note:

1) I really think this Ross kid has talent.... (although i didnt see him as a 8th pick)
                        2) I like Quincy Acy - tough kid with the mold of a Wilcox/Reggie Evans
                        3) REALLY Looking forward to see JV play in the nba this year
                        "....what are your thoughts about the direction so far???"
                        Direction of the Raps is good.

On another note, you would make a crappy GM and would likely devolve into a life of booze and drugs because other GM's didn't want to make the trades your fantasy NBA imagination told you they should be making. BC is doing everything he can to make the team better, for next year and beyond. why would you think he isn't doing all he can? Did you visit some NBA conspiracy website where you discovered everyone is out to get the Raptors?

As has already been suggested, chill.

Comment

A lot of people calling for BC's head this offseason. I think hes doing a good job. He does everything in his power to make trades happen, He seems like one of the busiest GM's. He's not working for a big market team so we don't get the flash signings. And yea some of his draft choices upset people but it's still a crapshoot. I hated on him at one point because we could've been in a better position to draft but I'm over it. He's not afraid to take risks as we've seen before, give him a break!
                          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

I'm going to be curious to see if Bayless's habit of under-performing off the bench, but performing well as a starter continues with his new team. I am a Bayless fan and enjoyed having him here (except for the odd frustrating game) and watching his energy. On a team that could go pretty half speed, he always seemed to play with full motor (ala Barbosa) and intensity. What I found frustrating with him is how his percentages dropped off a cliff when coming off the bench. If he could maintain what he could do as a starter, when coming off the bench, I'd be super pissed that he's gone. As it is, I wish him well...but not so well that we are kicking ourselves 3 years down the road for losing him.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I'm sure BC tried to get something in return for him, but given the fact that he signed a 1 year deal (2nd year is player option) at $1M less than his QO, I think it's safe to say that other teams had no interest in him and had no desire to giveup anything to get him.
                              Maybe posters will stop responding I underestimate our assets when I write marginal players such as Weems and Bayless have next to no value.

Or maybe not.

I believe $6M/2 years is a little on the high side for Bayless, but only a little ($1M or less). I wish him the best.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                                LOL

Wrong stats.

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/220-landry-fields

career numbers are ts% 55.5, wp48 .198, 8.6 Rebounds per 48min, etc.

As mentioned, the stats crowd loves this guy. Wages of Wins listed his "value at minutes played" at $15M per year. I guess they should check their stats too, huh?

Care to explain how he's the "8th man" again?

Quirk - As mentioned i dont really care about those pro rated stats..... The "stats crowd" are nerdy morons who try to explain a players worth....and often make numbers appear better than they really are!

Unfortunately for you i didnt come on here to argue with you about whether Landry deserves to make $15M+ plus a year.....I'm pretty sure even you can admit that $15 Million is a joke ...LOL come on have a laugh with me buddy!!!

Care to explain why your sooo obsessed with these types of stats???

Steve Novak shot pretty well and he played with Melo as well......so to me that argument (Melo messed Fields up) is just an excuse....maybe it was his HOT Girlfriend.....that makes more sense to me....did you see her??? Damn

Comment

Working...
                                X