No announcement yet.

Bayless A Grizzly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If OJ Mayo signs a deal for less then Fields I'd be upset. Fields is solid in several aspects like rebounding, defending and shot the ball well from beyond the arc in his rookie year. But we're still missing that shot creator from the wing. Hopefully DD has made some strides in this department and Ross can add some much needed scoring punch off the bench.

Comment

Commercial Appeal ‏@CAGrizBlog

re: Bayless deal. Pursuit began Tuesday after Ramon Sessions, Randy Foye, Aaron Brooks and Lou Williams turned down Griz offers, per sources

That is a lot of rejections before reaching Bayless.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

re: Bayless deal. Pursuit began Tuesday after Ramon Sessions, Randy Foye, Aaron Brooks and Lou Williams turned down Griz offers, per sources

LOL!

I guess it's fair to say that Bayless hasn't impressed anyone more than Raptor fans...

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Was just about to post this as well, interesting bunch, Sessions and Brooks are PG's while both Foye and Williams are 2 guards, maybe combos...what was Memphis looking for in a player?
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            Was just about to post this as well, interesting bunch, Sessions and Brooks are PG's while both Foye and Williams are 2 guards, maybe combos...what was Memphis looking for in a player?
            I'm guessing a combo guard who can be a cheap replacement for Mayo (instant offense at SG) and insurance at backup PG, should Wroten Jr. not be ready for full backup duty right away.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
              The "stats crowd" are nerdy morons who try to explain a players worth....
              I see. So I should check my stats but disregards the analysis of established experts in the field, who are simply nerdy morons. You obviously know better.

Whether Fields is "really" worth $15M is a matter of the market, in a free market (i.e. no caps, etc) where teams where motivative purely by winning (as opposed to merchandising, etc,) and made decisions with perfect information, he might well be. But that's not the real world. I don't think wages of wins is proposing that a team should actually give him a $15M per year contract.

Personally, I feel WP48 overvalues low usage players that rebound well, and that Fields is not as good as WP48 rates him. But he is still very good, fits a need, fits with the defense/motor/character direction of team, has proven he can play major minutes at the 2 and 3, and is still young.

In any case, the raptors have not offered $15M per year, but a deal that averages below $7M per year, and he seems pretty clearly worth that.

You still haven't explained how a guy who is 2nd on his team in minutes and starts all but a handfull of games is an "8th man."

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                A lot of people calling for BC's head this offseason. I think hes doing a good job. He does everything in his power to make trades happen, He seems like one of the busiest GM's. He's not working for a big market team so we don't get the flash signings. And yea some of his draft choices upset people but it's still a crapshoot. I hated on him at one point because we could've been in a better position to draft but I'm over it. He's not afraid to take risks as we've seen before, give him a break!
                Like I've said before, fans need to find someone to blame and the easiest person to blame in the NBA is the GM since he oversees everything. BC made a good recovery from a bad situation with Nash, so no complaints there.

Comment

Fields can rebound, shoot, and defend better than demar, and has a higher bball IQ. Nuff' said.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Going to miss him.

It's probably for the best he not have to deal with the undue Hatred from Raptors fans.

Some will find a reason or two to Boo him I'm sure, everytime he comes back to ACC tho .. just like every other EX Raptor.
                    Which is a shame.
                    +1 Sure they will be booing - he will be lighting up the league 17+ ppg.

Comment

I feel really weird about this. I've always been one of Bayless' biggest critics and honestly couldnt care less that he's gone, but it's always sad to see a guy that loves playing for your team go.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        I feel really weird about this. I've always been one of Bayless' biggest critics and honestly couldnt care less that he's gone, but it's always sad to see a guy that loves playing for your team go.
                        I sort of feel the same. Part of me thinks, JB will turn out to be a lot better and sees a great upside after a good game, then back to reality. I firmly believe JB will change a few more teams & .....same story.
                        Then again maybe he turns into C Billups. Good for him.
                        Good decision (to let him go) by BC.
                        Good luck JB!

Comment

Good Bayless GTFO, we gave him a chance but we not worried. He dipsetted because he know he aint getting tick now that Lowry's here bwooyyyyyyyyyyee!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            Good point. From a cap standpoint, it's a 3 year deal at $6.3M per season.

I recall somebody posting a few months ago a comparison of all players making probably $4-8M per season, to illustrate that Amir's contract isn't actually all that bad - $6M this season, $6.5 next season and $7M the season after that ($6.5M avg). If Amir's contract is decent, then Fields is actually pretty good and could get even better if he plays up to his potential and improves over the next few seasons. He's already a decent defender, who I think could excel defensively in DC's system. If his outside shot returns to the form he displayed in his rookie year, I think he'll earn his contract.
                            Thats the fallacy .. both contracts are bad. I agree, the fields contract is comparable to Amir's contract. The big problem is that you cant be paying bench players / fringe starters $6-$7 mm per year. With a cap of $58 mm .. we will be paying two of our 5th-8th guys $13-$14 mm per year over the next three years. Lets be generous and assume your 9-12 players avg $3 mm / year .. thats another $12 mm. That leaves $32 for the rest of the team (including our 4 best players!). Considering a star (if we ever get one) would command $15 mm / year .. you now have less than $17 mm to go with three other starters and a couple other bench guys. The math just doesnt work.
                            In the NBA today, you can afford to pay 3-4 guys good money .. and the rest of your team needs to be either vets at good money or guys on the rookie salary scale. Contracts like this kill teams ..
                            On the flip side, if you thought either could be a top 3 or 4 player on a good team .. then the contract is ok .. but neither of these guys are gonna be that good.

Comment

Demar_8756 wrote: View Post
                              Good Bayless GTFO, we gave him a chance but we not worried. He dipsetted because he know he aint getting tick now that Lowry's here bwooyyyyyyyyyyee!
                              what is dipsetted?

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                what is dipsetted?
                                I believe he means "left"
                                TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Working...
                                X