Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Eric Koreen: Multiple inquiries about Jose's availability. "We'll continue to process things." Twitter

Toronto Raptors, Trade, Jose Manuel Calderon | share

Link http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

I just hope that Portland (Batum S&T) and/or Philly (Iggy trade) are among the teams inquiring about Calderon's availability!

Calderon would be a great mentor for Lillard in Portland, who could run the P&R quite effectively with Aldridge.

He'd also be a good complement to Holiday in Philly, while providing them with a $10.6M expiring contract, given how they appear to be aiming to be big time players in free agency next offseason.

Comment

That is a standard company line from BC.

I'm not sure what he is suppose to say other than the quote.

"Yeah, can't move the guy. Little value. Is it 2013-14 yet?"

I do not put much faith in the comment.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I just hope that Portland (Batum S&T) and/or Philly (Iggy trade) are among the teams inquiring about Calderon's availability!

Calderon would be a great mentor for Lillard in Portland, who could run the P&R quite effectively with Aldridge.

He'd also be a good complement to Holiday in Philly, while providing them with a $10.6M expiring contract, given how they appear to be aiming to be big time players in free agency next offseason.
        If we do give up Calderon for either Batum or Iggy, we would to find another PG to backup Lowry since we don't have another PG if we trade Calderon.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

I think Batum already went public and said he wants to play in Minny, so we can put a lid on that dream, and Jose's use in Philly would be the same as in Toronto, so why not keep him, let his contract expire so we can re-sign him cheap next year plus cap space.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
            I think Batum already went public and said he wants to play in Minny, so we can put a lid on that dream, and Jose's use in Philly would be the same as in Toronto, so why not keep him, let his contract expire so we can re-sign him cheap next year plus cap space.
            Batum might be irked that Minny hasn't taken the steps to commit to him. His agent has also said that he doesn't want to return to Portland, though Batum himself has contradicted that, saying he'd be happy in either place. At the end of the day, if he's not happy with the progress being made by either team, he could very well be swayed by a team that steps up and is ready to commit immediately and offer him big bucks, be it Toronto or another team. Money has a way of changing minds :-)

Hypothetically speaking, Calderon could be part of a trade for Iggy AND signed on the cheap next offseason, if there was mutual interest for him to return to Toronto. There are still several decent PGs available who could be signed as a backup to Lowry.

*** for the record, until I see this rumor being picked up by a far more reliable source, I don't put much stock in it, but it's something tangible to talk about for the time being!

Comment

Iggy is starting to look better and better now that Gay looks less likely to happen....sigh

Comment

Yeah, and Turkoglu was going to Portland until he wasn't.

Even with Jose expiring next year, my understanding is that the Raps won't have any space after dealing with Derozan and other various and sundry salaries and increases. If they want to utilize Calderon to free up space then they better do it now.

Comment

I feel like Calderon is getting treated like shit the past couple years. He's one of the most loyal Raptors in history and he's been on the trading block year after year with numerous trade rumors involving him. But hey, I guess that's business....

Comment

Calderon to New Orleans?

New Orleans just dealt their only starting caliber PG Jarrett Jack to GSW in exchange for the rights to a Euro prospect and more cap relief. Now they have a giant hole in their roster and a ton of cap space ($28 M), and we have an expendable, high-performing PG on a large expiring contract. While New Orleans does indeed have Austin Rivers he definitely wouldn't be a wise decision at their starting PG spot because he isn't a facilitator in the least, plus he's a 19 year old rookie. Jose would be the perfect, facilitating veteran PG leader type that this young team would need, plus he only comes with a one-year commitment allowing them to move on and be big players in next years free agency market. New Orleans doesn't really have much to offer us back in return as far as players go. Perhaps in a deal for Jose they provide us with pure cap relief? Maybe we send another small asset their way to sure up some holes on their roster and in return we get a future pick, even second rounders would be worth it in my opinion. Maybe we can work a sign and trade for Kaman, who would be our starting centre until Jonas is ready to handle the role full-time? I'm not sure there are many better offers out there for Jose but this appears to be an incredibly viable option. What do you guys think Jose could pull in the trade market?
                    Thoughts???

Comment

Or..."The Tank" has begun early this year for New Orleans

Comment

BIG Picture Talks

Yeah! Just like Nash said he can't see himself playing for the Lakers?

Dude, it doesnt matter what Batum says...If the Raptors have made a decent pitch...we all know Toronto is a better location for him as compared to Minny...this money wise, future wise etc.

TORONTO is in a better position. Batum probably said that because he heard some promising stuff from Minny Staff. BC pls give his agent a call get a meeting in place. We can talk after
                        It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                          I feel like Calderon is getting treated like shit the past couple years. He's one of the most loyal Raptors in history and he's been on the trading block year after year with numerous trade rumors involving him. But hey, I guess that's business....
                          You are very right there. No respect for the only guy who wanted to only play for the Raps. Cut the guy some slack and let him finish his career here. I am sure he will not mind staying for a reduced salary knowing that he made some money from being over paid. ;o)

Comment

I don't know about that. If I was Jose, after being treated like dirt, I would leave the first chance I get. There is no loyalty in basketball. Money and championships dictate fate.

You can say KG or whatever, he is still going to make $13M+ over the next 3 years. You think he would stay if the number was below $10M? If Jose gets a better offer to start next season, he would take it in a heart beat.
                            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Colangelo says Jose is upset about the Lowry signing.
                              What about him being a great team player who would mentor the young pg of the future?
                              If he can't accept his backup role he's gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X