Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Sac town. Tyreke anyone?

Jose and ED to SAC
    Tyreke and Chuck Hayes to TO

Comment

So Colangelo gives up a lottery pick for a small upgrade at the PG position, marginalizes his existing PG (again) to the point where he is interested in being traded, and is looking for a TPE in return.

This guy couldn't find value at the Salvation Army.

If Colangelo/Casey can't convince Jose to stay they need to get something in return for him, and if its a TPE he needs to turn that into something useful.

Comment

alex_elstone wrote: View Post
        Why did we get rid if bayless with nothing in return again? Refresh my memory
        Because the team has made it perfectly crystal clear that Ben Uzoh was a suitable back-up for Casey (said during a presser after the draft). Calderon's days were over when the team pursued Nash. As for Bayless, the team renounced his rights just like Memphis renounced their rights to OJ Mayo. Plain and simple. My take on this is that the team should hold tight and not cave into releasing him through the amnesty provision. That amnesty will come in handy later on IMO.

Personally, I like Jose but t don't understand his pouting. He's getting paid all-star money and is clearly not capable of playing heavy minutes as a starter. He's also proven to be more gun-shy over the past two seasons and has shot less. He should accept his role until his deal expires. What's he trying to play for? Another massive contract? He's lost a step, his hamstring is touch and go. His body is in back-up mode at this point in his career. Yes, he's thirty but he hasn't played a full season in a long time. Good luck to him, but the team must make something out of the millions of dollars that he's been paid over the years by way of a TPE or something.

PS> I was salivating over the amnesty of Scola (I know we don't need a big but he's such a great player). Watch San Antonio snag him. Just watch!
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I'd be more than willing to include DeRozan in a deal with Jose if it can get us Igoudala, Gay or Granger with another small asset. I'm watching Igoudala play with Team USA right now and he's a standout on both ends of the court. When he's not asked to facilitate the kid can SCORE, spot up/isolation whatever. His defence goes without saying. Perfect for this team. Go after him BC, pull the trigger. Just do it man. Make us a winning team for the next 5 yrs with Lowry,Ross,Igoudala,Bargnani,Valanciunas and Fields, Davis and a combo guard being our go-to bench guys off the bench.

Comment

Marc Stein: Mark Bartelstein, agent for Calderon, confirms to ESPN that trade talks underway. He & Raps prez Colangelo "working together" to find deal Twitter

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              Because the team has made it perfectly crystal clear that Ben Uzoh was a suitable back-up for Casey (said during a presser after the draft). Calderon's days were over when the team pursued Nash. As for Bayless, the team renounced his rights just like Memphis renounced their rights to OJ Mayo. Plain and simple. My take on this is that the team should hold tight and not cave into releasing him through the amnesty provision. That amnesty will come in handy later on IMO.

Personally, I like Jose but t don't understand his pouting. He's getting paid all-star money and is clearly not capable of playing heavy minutes as a starter. He's also proven to be more gun-shy over the past two seasons and has shot less. He should accept his role until his deal expires. What's he trying to play for? Another massive contract? He's lost a step, his hamstring is touch and go. His body is in back-up mode at this point in his career. Yes, he's thirty but he hasn't played a full season in a long time. Good luck to him, but the team must make something out of the millions of dollars that he's been paid over the years by way of a TPE or something.

PS> I was salivating over the amnesty of Scola (I know we don't need a big but he's such a great player). Watch San Antonio snag him. Just watch!
              How can you not understand his pouting? Yes he's overpaid, but he truly loves to be a Raptor and he truly loves the city of Toronto. That's pretty obvious. How would you feel if you were basically "backstabbed" by the city and team you love? He played his heart out every single game and played with 110% every night and what does he get? Constant trade rumors and even the possibility of amnesty. He definitely wants to stay on the Raptors and he's basically being told that what he wants doesn't matter. Why wouldn't anyone else in that position not pout? You're only thinking about it from your own point of view, so how about considering how Jose feels about the whole situation.

Comment

i think it is mostly his agent reminding him he is in his contract year of what should be his last chance at a payday. jose could lose a lot of money over the next 4 years with back up time and could earn a lot of money with a starters job where he puts up good numbers. next years losers of cp3 might be going after jose as the number 2 pg in free agency.

i take all this "jose" talk as bartlestien talk

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                  How can you not understand his pouting? Yes he's overpaid, but he truly loves to be a Raptor and he truly loves the city of Toronto. That's pretty obvious. How would you feel if you were basically "backstabbed" by the city and team you love? He played his heart out every single game and played with 110% every night and what does he get? Constant trade rumors and even the possibility of amnesty. He definitely wants to stay on the Raptors and he's basically being told that what he wants doesn't matter. Why wouldn't anyone else in that position not pout? You're only thinking about it from your own point of view, so how about considering how Jose feels about the whole situation.
                  i think it's all money. jose is a team player and not a complainer. it's a business and he knows it and he is making a business decision

Comment

word is BC only wants to trade him if he can get some kind of TPE back or whatever. Because BC really uses them...
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                      You conveniently omitted the part where I said I like Jose. His durability is in question so I don't understand why he still feels like he's a starter. I understand early on when he was still averaging 8+ dimes a game. Now, for 10.6 Mil a year, I personally wouldn't mind being stabbed in the back myself. It's not a hate post. I just wish that he needs to understand that the young guy in Lowry deserves his chance (after being a back-up for as long as Jose's been a starter). TJ Ford and Jarrett Jack got jettisoned for him too so don't forget that.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        i think it's all money. jose is a team player and not a complainer. it's a business and he knows it and he is making a business decision
                        To be honest, this whole thing is completely OVERBLOWN! Calderon has never asked for a trade. There is a different between "wanting" a trade and "welcoming" a trade...

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                          You conveniently omitted the part where I said I like Jose. His durability is in question so I don't understand why he still feels like he's a starter. I understand early on when he was still averaging 8+ dimes a game. Now, for 10.6 Mil a year, I personally wouldn't mind being stabbed in the back myself. It's not a hate post. I just wish that he needs to understand that the young guy in Lowry deserves his chance (after being a back-up for as long as Jose's been a starter). TJ Ford and Jarrett Jack got jettisoned for him too so don't forget that.
                          well said, and I agree. He's definitely been given his chance to be our guy for stretches but he's simply not good enough across the board to be the PG of the future for this club. We needed a young PG who could penetrate, pass, not back down from shots, defend at a high level, and be a gritty floor general and have a reasonable contract. We pretty much got all of those things in Lowry. While Jose is an elite passer and good spot up shooter, that's about it. He's not a good enough defender, athletic, or durable enough to take us deep into the playoffs year after year against the leagues new breed of PGs. Gotta love the guy for his passion, resilience, and professionalism but he's just not right for the teams current direction, plain and simple. When management reviews potential PGs they don't argue Calderon's case with "but he's such a nice guy" or "but he loves Toronto", that's all great but you've gotta do whats best for team... I mean seriously? Do what makes us better overall. And lastly, I'm sure he'll land with a good team and go deep in the playoffs, if not this year then next year when he can choose where to go.

Comment

• Calderon deserves it

I really feel for Calderon. The guy has been linked to rumors of trades and amnesty scenarios for a solid month. The team has obviously lost interest in him long term, he's not getting the respect he deserves right now and so it's only fitting that he ask for a trade. I hope he lands in a good place for him while giving the Raptors a good return. I don't really think Calderon not wanting to play in Toronto anymore will reduce his value. It's been obvious to everyone that Calderon is not in the Raptors' plans anyway and he's an expiring contract now. The writing is on the wall. Get this right Colangelo.

Now, for 10.6 Mil a year, I personally wouldn't mind being stabbed in the back myself.
                            Oh, so what's your threshold? At $10.5M you would be upset that your family's future was held up in the air for a month but at $10.6M you're fine with it? Maybe your threshold is $5M? $1M? $100k? $1000? $100? At what price do you forget what you feel is fair or right?

ceez wrote: View Post
                            word is BC only wants to trade him if he can get some kind of TPE back or whatever. Because BC really uses them...
                            Ah, Colangelo's favorite tool to dupe fans into thinking half his recent trades weren't disappointments. Trading talent for the equivalent of imaginary money. I'm sure that sits well with investors who really understand what those trades essentially were about in the end.

Comment

• This is a business people. In managements defense, it's not like they were the ones throwing Jose's name around. Up until a few days ago Bryan said he's a part of the team and they'll welcome him back. The team obviously feels like he can't take them to the next level because frankly, he can't. They went and got someone they felt can. What in the world is wrong with that. So his names been thrown around in rumors, he'll get over it, we'll get over it who cares. This is the NBA players are people, but even moreso assets. All you can do is thank Jose for his services, which he was more then well compensated for, and wish him the best in the future and make sure you get the best group of assets in return for him. His time with the club has been good but his age, injury history, lack of athleticism, and poor defense don't fit in with this team. Lowry is a better fit and Lowry is what the coach wants. End of story. We'll all miss Jose but it's time to win now. Those of you who don't like that part of the business will just have to cry about it lol. I think this deal is a great opportunity to get substantially better, and c'mon, who didn't see this coming from a mile away?!?!?!

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                I really feel for Calderon. The guy has been linked to rumors of trades and amnesty scenarios for a solid month. The team has obviously lost interest in him long term, he's not getting the respect he deserves right now and so it's only fitting that he ask for a trade. I hope he lands in a good place for him while giving the Raptors a good return. I don't really think Calderon not wanting to play in Toronto anymore will reduce his value. It's been obvious to everyone that Calderon is not in the Raptors' plans anyway and he's an expiring contract now. The writing is on the wall. Get this right Colangelo.
                                http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

I would love for this to happen, but does it take away too much from Memphis to keep them as a playoff team? I guess it would depend on DeRozan's ability to take his game to the next level there.

Comment

Working...
                                X