Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources ESPN: Jose Calderon wants trade (#68)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The Raps can't offer a 1st round pick in any trade due to the restrictions with Houston.
    The pick to Houston is lotto protected so are you so sure?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Pretty sure:

They can't even make a trade with a 15-30 stipulation because say it goes lottery in 2014 and then they could make the playoffs in 2015 and would violate league rules of no 1st round pick trade in 2 consecutive seasons.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
        I hope cooler heads prevail and that the Raptors offer Jose a $16-18M 4-year extension when teams can extend players.
        Agreed. And I see no point in moving him for a TPE. Let's hang onto him, and sooth his ego. As others have stated, he will make a remarkable difference to our second unit. And he's only overpaid this year; doesn't have to be thereafter.

Comment

Seems to me they could offer a lottery protected pick. That might be the most convoluted draft pick in history:

Top 3/2/1 (depends on year) -> TOR
          Other lottery -> HOU
          Outside Lottery -> Other team

EDIT: Matt just debunked this. Why is it you can't trade 2 consecutive picks?

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
            Seems to me they could offer a lottery protected pick. That might be the most convoluted draft pick in history:

Other lottery -> HOU

Just an NBA rule that you can't trade 1st round picks in consecutive years. You could make your pick in the draft and then trade it a year before/after you traded away your pick, because technically you'd have already made your pick.

Comment

Other lottery -> HOU

Just the rules.

Comment

Atlanta would be a place that would make a lot of sense for Jose. So would Indiana.

I'm not sure what I would be looking for from those teams. If ATL is looking to make a play for D12 they might consider moving Smith for less than you think to free up space. I wonder if Jose plus DeMar and a future unprotected 1st rounder would do the trick? Of course a contract extension would have to be reached prior to the trade.
                Apollo wrote: View Post
                Ha, ha clearly I need to get caught up. I wasn't busy during the boring month leading up the the draft but since then I've be out of the loop.

Augustin is a one year deal. Hill is used to coming off the bench and I feel he's better suited to that. Calderon would be the perfect quarterback for that exciting team in my opinion.
                And if Atlanta truly thinks they have a shot a DHoward, JSmith is one of his best friends.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Just the rules.
                  Well, I have to say this seems capricious and arbitrary

Comment

• Pretty frustrating to watch other teams ship around the likes of Colison, Augustin, Sessions and Dragic while were standing here with Jose and our dick out. Teams with the PG need are filling their gaps, and thus limiting the market for Jose and limiting any potential return package.

We are going to get as much as we got for Barbosa. Unless we're willing to take back a bad contract in exchange for a 1st rounder, we'll get a late second rounder from a quasi-contender.

Comment

• NoBan wrote: View Post
                      Pretty frustrating to watch other teams ship around the likes of Colison, Augustin, Sessions and Dragic while were standing here with Jose and our dick out. Teams with the PG need are filling their gaps, and thus limiting the market for Jose and limiting any potential return package.

We are going to get as much as we got for Barbosa. Unless we're willing to take back a bad contract in exchange for a 1st rounder, we'll get a late second rounder from a quasi-contender.
                      All those other players you mentioned are much younger than Calderon and most are much cheaper. Most of the teams are rebuilding as well, so I don't think they were ever going to be likely landing spots for Calderon. I think teams like Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Portland and Philly seem like some of the likliest options.

Comment

I think we're forgetting about Jose pretty much saying "It's TJ or me" prior to Jose signing his current contract. He wanted to be a starter and so now, here we go again; this time he's not waiting for fee agency. Another athletic PG is added to the mix. One who has also complained about not starting in the past. You have two PG's with the same strong desire to lead and only one can do it in the prominent role. Calderon won't change his mind on this. He's still good enough to earn a starting role on half the teams in the league.
                        I would not bet against the story being blown out of proportion in the media. I am hoping it's just grumblings and that Jose will come to accept the situation given a few weeks or months.

Comment

Well, I have to say this seems capricious and arbitrary
                          The rule is to protect GMs and Owners from shooting themselves in the foot. Most of the rules in the CBA are designed to prevent GM's from making dumb moves. 90% of the time it doesn't work though

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            I would not bet against the story being blown out of proportion in the media. I am hoping it's just grumblings and that Jose will come to accept the situation given a few weeks or months.
                            I might agree with you, except for the fact that the story has been confirmed by Calderon's agent. I think he's a goner now, regardless how much fans and/or BC would like to keep him.

Comment

• Calderon has been nothing but class for this organization. Hate to see him leave, but wish him nothing but the best. The Mavs are showing true interest in Jose and it might be a good spot for him.

Calderon for Dominique Jones + Jae Crowder + 2nd rounder could work.

Memphis and Philly have been suggested as well ...

Calderon + Derozan + Amir Johnson for Rudy Gay + Tony Wrotten + 2nd rounder could work
                              Calderon + Derozan for Iguodala + Vucevic could work.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

He's one of the most loyal Raptors in history and he's been on the trading block year after year with numerous trade rumors involving him. But hey, I guess that's business....
                                Id be pretty loyal too if I couldnt play defense whatsoever and was paid $11 mill a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X