Evaluating players defensively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Maybe this shines some light on what their role is withing the organisation. It's from a Magic blog article (from 2010) I read some time ago about Hedo Turkoglu. The role will be somewhat expanded now, because they joined that season after trades had been made and the draft had taken place. Of course they can't stop Bosh from leaving, so I don't see much of a relation between their influence or performance in the decline from 2009/10 to 2010/11.

Part I of the interview with Keith Boyarsky and Alex Rucker
    Part II
    I actually read some great stuff in there

I’ve known Jay Triano for many years, having worked with him briefly at Simon Fraser University. When he became the head coach of the Toronto Raptors, he was eager to take advantage of the quantitative analysis that was becoming increasingly prevalent at the pro level.

Its Jay, not Colangelo, who brought these guys in. Not suprising to his statement about where most of his work is with the coaches and a smaller portion with the GM

If you just look at his Per 36 minute stats, you’ll see that Hedo has done almost the same things in Toronto that he was doing in Orlando – the only difference is that he’s taking fewer shots and he’s playing slightly fewer minutes.
    people, who know how to use stats anyways, weren't looking at just Hedo's Per 36 minute stats... in fact they are looking at numbers much more complex than that.

One of the biggest differences in terms of Hedo’s role is team personnel. As you mentioned, in Orlando he was sometimes the primary ballhandler and the guy responsible for running the offense – especially when Jameer was out with injury. In Toronto, we have two quality point guards who are more than capable of running the show. Hedo plays a critical role in our team’s offense, and the offense runs very efficiently through him, but we haven’t needed to rely on him as much in those areas as a result of our depth at PG.
    well perhaps one of the bigger problems was having too many ball handlers on the floor at one time. Considering Hedo - Jacks - Jose's defensive limitations, using him (or them) as much as they did seems like a serious inefficiency. Which makes me ask the same question I did above - was this a stats/coaches decision or a GM decisions? (ie. I payed these guys they need to play?)

Yeah, I mean, individual defense is obviously one of the harder things to get a finger on. Partly because there’s basically zero publicly-available data on it. So, using our internal numbers, I would say that last year he was an above-average defender and I’ve heard people make the argument that it was largely because of Howard or because he was, kind of, hidden in the sense of they could match him up. Especially when they were playing with [Mickael] Pietrus and guys like that. They could match him up against lesser offensive players and I didn’t watch a ton of Orlando games last year, so that may well be the case. We don’t have that luxury, in Toronto obviously, to really hide guys on defense and honestly, on the defensive end, he’s been fine. He hasn’t really been a positive or a negative, if that makes sense. We definitely have defensive problems as a team but frankly, they’re not defending the small forwards.

While I absolutely agree the Raps defensive problems were many, I can't say I agree that Hedo wasn't part of that problem.

I'm glad the Raps are using more analysis. Its becoming more and more important around the NBA. But I can't say I'm going to put a ton of reliance on a guy who hides behind an iron curtain (out of necessity I understand) with a conflict of interest. Atleast not until he has a track record to prove it.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
      I'm glad the Raps are using more analysis. Its becoming more and more important around the NBA. But I can't say I'm going to put a ton of reliance on a guy who hides behind an iron curtain (out of necessity I understand) with a conflict of interest. Atleast not until he has a track record to prove it.
      I tried to find something more about this guy, Alex Rucker. But I can't find a cv or something like it; no clue what his background is. And so far the only thing I found out about Keith Boyarsky is that he probably plays poker. Didn't search for too long though.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        I tried to find something more about this guy, Alex Rucker. But I can't find a cv or something like it; no clue what his background is. And so far the only thing I found out about Keith Boyarsky is that he probably plays poker. Didn't search for too long though.
        from the interview you posted they worked with Jay at Simon Frasier. How and to what capacity though I do not know.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          And I will raise my glass tonight in honor of your (Matt) past services to our community! Sincere thanks!
          Somewhat related.

I went out to for a drink with a couple of co-workers Wednesday and raised my glass to the improved Toronto Raptors. One guy tried to stop me by playfully swatting the bill towards my glass. Problem is he missed the glass and hit my left eye. Net result is a scratched and bruised eye, and $380 in ophthamologist and antibiotics bills.

It's hard to be a Raptors fan.

Comment

Ouch
            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Somewhat related.

I went out to for a drink with a couple of co-workers Wednesday and raised my glass to the improved Toronto Raptors. One guy tried to stop me by playfully swatting the bill towards my glass. Problem is he missed the glass and hit my left eye. Net result is a scratched and bruised eye, and $380 in ophthamologist and antibiotics bills.

Just another day in Raptorland

Comment

Somewhat related.

Too bad...no Obamacare??

Comment

If he's canadian, probably not...

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
                    If he's canadian, probably not...
                    No, Obamacare applies to Green Card holders as well as citizens.

Obamacare is not socialized medicine in the Canadian sense. For me personally, the only current impact on my life is positive as it allows me to cover my grown up daughter under my insurance policy.

The $380 bills were my cost with insurance; it would have amounted to more than $2,000 without insurance. Medical care is very expensive and one bad uninsured event can bring a family into major debts. It's just a (painful) reality of living in the States.

Comment

No, Obamacare applies to Green Card holders as well as citizens.

Obamacare is not socialized medicine in the Canadian sense. For me personally, the only current impact on my life is positive as it allows me to cover my grown up daughter under my insurance policy.

The $380 bills were my cost with insurance; it would have amounted to more than $2,000 without insurance. Medical care is very expensive and one bad uninsured event can bring a family into major debts. It's just a (painful) reality of living in the States.
                      I feel your pain. Ouch. And yeah, I was reading that the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the US is a result of health bills.
                      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Working...
                      X