Your 2012/2013 Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Sorry but Fields played second most minutes of any Knick last year.
    In the playoffs, played 23 mpg (7th .. and Lin was out) .. in the regular season, played 29 mpg (5th .. with a barage of injuries .. so more mpg than if the team was healthy throughout).

Aggregate minutes extremely misleading as an indicator of anything given all the injuries ..

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      People undervalue playing for a winning team and overvalue numbers and stats here
      +1 I can't believe the dissapointment I'm reading about Fields. The guy can really play solid basketball.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        People undervalue playing for a winning team and overvalue numbers and stats here
        Playing for a winning team is great if you are a key contributor to their success. Doesnt mean much if you arent. Jamal played for a winning team in Miami .. did he do much for us the next year?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          You don't judge an NBA roster by who the 8th-14th men on the bench are. In terms of key personnel, they've upgraded at the PG spot but the key comp there isn't Lowry vs. Bayless, it's Lowry vs. Calderon. Is that an upgrade? Yes. Is it a major upgrade? Unlikely. Is Lowry a difference maker? No.

The SG and PF spots are static from a 20+ win team. There is still a massive, gaping hole at SF. Sorry, I don't care what Wins Produced indicates, I don't see Fields as any sort of upgrade over what was there. The centre position will be improved but JV is a rookie and it will take him time - maybe even measured in seasons - to make an impact.

The team has no top of the food chain player. No superstar. No all-star type players. This team is on a track heading nowhere. If that's the right track for you, then that's fine but don't serve me hamburger helper and tell me it's filet mignon.
          Let me remind you that rookies don't become all stars overnight. Get it into your head that no all star will want to come here unless we start winning. This is a good start that BC made, I'd like to see you try to turn this team into a playoffs contender it's not easy. You like many other people on here think that our players will never improve. I'm pretty sure with each passing year players tend to get better which only makes the team better. Plus you don't always need a top of a food chain player to win, we still don't know how good JV or t Ross will be.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Superstars and even all-stars are incredibly difficult to obtain.

Having a realistic perspective on the matter I cannot understand the unhappiness from posters. The Raps got younger, deeper, and better. The players obtained fit Casey's system much bEtter as well.

If superstars and all stars were easy to obtain everyone would have multiple.
            Exactly my point

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
              Playing for a winning team is great if you are a key contributor to their success. Doesnt mean much if you arent. Jamal played for a winning team in Miami .. did he do much for us the next year?
              Jamal didn't play, he was in street clothes.

Landry Fields played a fair amount of minutes, started games, and contributed towards a winning team, that's different.

Stay the course.

EDIT* I could honestly give you stats comparing the two in their playoff seasons last year. But we all know how much waste of time that is to find the stats comparing Magloire to Fields is.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                Yes Fields is overpaid (but not crippling). It's just so ridiculous that we overpaid an RFA and now the plan is to play him out of position. Maybe our stat guys claim he's a great fit, but do they have a stat that shows how much poop was removed from his gitch after each playoff game last year?
                He's not playing out of position he's a wing player that can play both spots comfortably. He did it in college, he did it in NYC and he's doing it now so stop complaining cause its not easy to land an all star SF especially in Toronto

Comment

I would agrue he probably did about the same for us as he did for the Heat, toughness and leadership and if you listen to Casey a pretty important part of the culture change in the locker room.
                  More importantly you are comparing apples to Oranges with this. Fields was a starter getting starters minutes, JM was not.

Comment

Landry Fields hasn't been a key contributor to the Knicks making the playoffs the last two seasons?
                    There is a reason why Landry Fields started every game for the last two years for the Knicks. Over the likes of J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                      Yes Fields is overpaid (but not crippling). It's just so ridiculous that we overpaid an RFA and now the plan is to play him out of position. Maybe our stat guys claim he's a great fit, but do they have a stat that shows how much poop was removed from his gitch after each playoff game last year?
                      Landry Fields played the 3 in the playoffs, even more to add, they cross-matched their defensive structure against Miami in the playoffs. Stats are not a huge indicator that Landry was a large contributor because of the Melo 'give me the ball and hold' offense.

Fields is VERY capable of playing the 3, I'm not too worried about him playing the 3 in comparison to Demar Derozan.

Comment

Landry Fields is Doug Christie incarnate.
                        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

In the playoffs, played 23 mpg (7th .. and Lin was out) .. in the regular season, played 29 mpg (5th .. with a barage of injuries .. so more mpg than if the team was healthy throughout).

Aggregate minutes extremely misleading as an indicator of anything given all the injuries ..
                          Knicks played their best ball with Fields but I think you have your mind made up so I'll agree to disagree.

Comment

I guess there's some disappointment in the sense that Colangelo hinted that this summer's "makeover" would be very significant. But the club's biggest hole (SF) has yet to be addressed.

But in terms of the long-term plan, no complaints (other than potentially losing a lotto pick next summer).

Comment

I'm really torn about the raptors right now

on the plus side I do think that they are better and younger than last year, and don't have any stupid contracts on the books. I also believe that JV is going to be a legit player and garner some all-star considerations down the road.

on the negative side, we don't have a player that can take us to the conference finals. I couldn't watch any of the playoffs (bad internet in Africa) except for the finals (it took me 3 weeks to download the games) and the thing that struck me the most was how DIFFERENT the playoffs are from the regular season. The playoffs are just a WHOLE different level and you have to play harder, and be more mentally tough than your opponent. I don't think we have any conference finals players.

Yes making the playoffs would be welcome, and winning a round in the playoffs would make me very happy, but for me the goal has to be to get to the conference finals and I feel we are sooo close (just need that 1 superstar (all star?) player) and yet soooo far away (just need that one super star player).

JV is going to take at least two full seasons to become a player that makes a difference (maybe even more?), and i don't think its fair to expect anything from Ross this season, and i also don't think you can expect him to become anything other than a serviceable rotation player.

BC has done a decent job the last two seasons, but how are we going to get to that next level? I'm worried that we won't.

I hope the new cba does a better job of leveling the playing field, but I think that their is a real possibility that we get stuck on the 10th-6th place standings treadmill, where you are contending for a playoff spot but are not a serious threat to go deep in the playoffs.

I mean, we've been in the league for almost two decades now... when is it our turn?
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                I guess there's some disappointment in the sense that Colangelo hinted that this summer's "makeover" would be very significant. But the club's biggest hole (SF) has yet to be addressed.

But in terms of the long-term plan, no complaints (other than potentially losing a lotto pick next summer).
                                Nice post.

I no longer take BC at face value. The last straw was this summer. Clearly he wants to do some big things but with 30 other teams what you want and can do are two totally different things the majority of the time it seems.

The raps starting the year as constructed is not a total waste of summer. They will still have ability to add Gay or AI type player should they become available.

Comment

Working...
                                X