Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At this point, Raptors not likely to Ever use the Amnesty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At this point, Raptors not likely to Ever use the Amnesty.

First off, Read this...

The Steep Price of Amnesty
    Some interesting numbers get sent around the office this time of year.

Three in particular that made the e-mail rounds Tuesday night had to be shared immediately.

$136,395,446: That’s how much guaranteed money was designated for amnesty in 2012 through the releases of Chris Andersen (Denver), Andray Blatche (Washington), Elton Brand (Philadelphia), Josh Childress (Phoenix), Ryan Gomes (L.A. Clippers), Brendan Haywood (Dallas), Darko Milicic (Minnesota) and Luis Scola (Houston).

$206,138,893: That’s how much guaranteed money was slated for amnesty in 2011 through the releases of Gilbert Arenas (Orlando), Charlie Bell (Golden State), Chauncey Billiups (New York), Baron Davis (Cleveland), Travis Outlaw (Brooklyn), James Posey (Indiana) and Brandon Roy (Portland).

And, finally, 41: That’s how many players, in the entire league, are eligible for the amnesty provision during the life of the current CBA.

That’s it.

Don’t forget that teams can only use their one-time amnesty clause on players who were on the roster when the lockout ended last December AND who remain on the same contract in effect at the start of the 2011-12 season. Fifteen teams have used their amnesty clause thus far, leaving 15 teams with 41 players whose contracts are still valid entering the 2013-14 season.
    Now read this...

There will be another weeklong window in July 2013 for those 15 teams to weigh using their amnesty escape hatch.

AMNESTY ELIGIBLE IN JULY 2013
    ATLANTA – Al Horford
    BOSTON – Avery Bradley*, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo
    CHARLOTTE – Tyrus Thomas
    CHICAGO – Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah
    DETROIT – Greg Monroe*, Charlie Villanueva
    LA LAKERS – Steve Blake, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace
    MEMPHIS – Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph
    MIAMI – Joel Anthony, Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem, LeBron James, Mike Miller, Dwyane Wade
    MILWAUKEE – Drew Gooden, Larry Sanders*
    NEW ORLEANS -- No players eligible for amnesty
    OKLAHOMA CITY – Cole Aldrich*, Nick Collison, Kevin Durant, Kendrick Perkins, Thabo Sefolosha
    SACRAMENTO – DeMarcus Cousins*, Francisco Garcia (team option), John Salmons
    SAN ANTONIO – Matt Bonner, Tony Parker
    TORONTO – Andrea Bargnani, Ed Davis*, Amir Johnson, Linas Kleiza
    UTAH – Derrick Favors*, Gordon Hayward*
    * -- If rookie-scale option is picked up

Marc Stein, ESPN
    I just don't see the Raptors paying any of these guys to leave. My bet, is we don't ever use it.
    What do you think?
    Andrea Bargnani
    0.00%
    Ed Davis
    0.00%
    Amir Johnson
    21.21%
    Linas Kleiza
    3.03%
    None! Keep em or Trade em! No Amnesty!!
    75.76%

I see one scenario that it could be used...something similar to a Brandon Roy situation, where a player becomes chronically injured...short of that...I think any of those contracts could be traded and are assets
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I don't see Bryan using it, unless there was a serious career-ending injury to either Amir or Andrea. Kleiza only has 2 years left and makes a modest $4.6M per. He's a serviceable player (and still young) and is making less than the MLE. Amir probably has the greatest chance, but I think he makes a solid trade asset. His salary is not as bad as people think it is.

Comment

Ed Davis will breakout this year and we will have no use for Amir. Since he has less than no trade value colangelo may amnesty him

Comment

i could see BC using it on amir next offseason if he continues to pick up fouls at the rate he does..& if Ed progresses..otherwise your prob. right. I dont see bargs getting amnestied as long as BC is GM.. & klieza's contract isntt soo bad, considering he plays 2 forward positions & can score in bunches off the bench when healthy

Comment

I wouldn't say that they won't ever use it. Amir is a possible amnesty candidate in the coming years.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

It has nothing to do with BC, what kind of idiot GM would amnesty a 7 footer averaging 20 & 6 on a $10M contract? Compared to the recent big signings this summer he is a bargain.

Comment

I could see Amir or Klieza getting amnestied next year if we creep into the luxury tax.

Comment

Yeah Amir is the only guy I would think of amnestying in the future. Either him or an injured other player.

Comment

The ONLY way we should Amnesty someone is to go after a top 10 SF, otherwise let calderon play out his contract (its a contract year for him - so he has to play good regardless) and if you want someone gone trade them

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
                      The ONLY way we should Amnesty someone is to go after a top 10 SF, otherwise let calderon play out his contract (its a contract year for him - so he has to play good regardless) and if you want someone gone trade them
                      Calderon is no longer an Amnesty option though.

Comment

I can see it being used next summer if no suitors are found for some guys that may be spare parts come the end of next season

Comment

What we should have done before we wasted $ on Fields is....

Trade for a bad contract, one that a team needs to get rid of. Like World Peace or Hedo.. something like that. As bad of a contract as we could absorb under the cap. Hell, even Amare if we could fit him in. In exchange for lifting the bad contact, we could get a pick or 2 from our trade partner.

Then we could use our amnesty on the guy we just traded for. Not sure if that is within the rules, but I think it might be. We'd essentially be buying a couple nice picks.

Especially with Jose wanting out and having an expiring $10 M deal, we could help a team that needs cap relief and get a nice young player and/or some solid picks in return.

We are less likely to do this now that we have Fields and can't just absorb an extra $5 M... but we still could pull it off.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                            What we should have done before we wasted $ on Fields is....

Trade for a bad contract, one that a team needs to get rid of. Like World Peace or Hedo.. something like that. As bad of a contract as we could absorb under the cap. Hell, even Amare if we could fit him in. In exchange for lifting the bad contact, we could get a pick or 2 from our trade partner.

Then we could use our amnesty on the guy we just traded for. Not sure if that is within the rules, but I think it might be. We'd essentially be buying a couple nice picks.

Especially with Jose wanting out and having an expiring $10 M deal, we could help a team that needs cap relief and get a nice young player and/or some solid picks in return.

We are less likely to do this now that we have Fields and can't just absorb an extra $5 M... but we still could pull it off.
                            Amnesty cannot be used on a traded player. Only a player that was on the roster prior to the new CBA.

Comment

Nope, can't do that must be on your roster the day the CBA was signed.

Comment

Working...
                              X