Being realistic....Players I Want on the Raptors in 2012-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
    I know this is waaaay off topic(feel free to move). But, it seems that a bunch of the raptors are/were in vegas for the summer league. Last i count (well, ed and t-ross are there for summer league) Lowry, Fields, Derozan, Amir(i think) were all there. Are they maybe building they're chemistry early? Hangin out? Havin a mini summer camp. Cuz, most of the guys there are pretty much the core players this season. I'm just sayin that, thats really cool if they are preppin for the seasons months before training camp.
    If they are, then that's great. It's good to have early team chemistry. It reduces the possibility of a bad start to the season.

Comment

According to a source, a trade involving Iguodala “won’t happen” during the off-season. As a result of that, the Sixers’ off-season tinkering to their roster is complete and aside from a few free agents who get invitations to training camp, the team is set.
      http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/31/an...traded-sixers/

Well, so much for that plan....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Just like the Raptors' PF logjam, I really don't see how all Philly's wings are going to get enough playing time

PG: Holliday, Ivey, Wayns
        SG: Turner, N.Young
        SF: Iggy, Wright, Harkless
        PF: T.Young, Allen, Moultrie
        C: Hawes, Brown, Vucevic

I'm really not sure how they intend to develop Harkless, unless they plan on using Turner at PG some of the time. Thad Young is more of a tweener PF/SF than a true PF, but I assume that he'll play exclusively at PF now (I could see them wanting an upgrade at starting PF).

I don't think it's a stretch for Iggy to be on the move at the trade deadline. A team to possibly watch/include could be Utah, with their glut of bigs - maybe a guy like Millsap ($8.6M expiring contract) goes to Philly to solidify their starting PF spot. The question is how Toronto can get involved using Calderon ($10.6M expiring) & likely 1 of Amir/Davis or possibly even DeRozan (especially if Fields & Ross have strong seasons), to land Iggy in a multi-team trade.

Comment

Let's see how the new ownership of Bell/Rogers changes things. Could be that they don't mind going into the luxury tax to land a big time player. I'm hoping we could get a game changing type of player. Iggy is a nice player, but he's getting up there in age and frankly I don't associate him with winning and he doesn't have the ability to take over a game on his own. Perhaps I'm not being realistic, but at some point the Rap's have got to make a move for a star player if they want to make a serious run in the playoffs.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            Let's see how the new ownership of Bell/Rogers changes things. Could be that they don't mind going into the luxury tax to land a big time player. I'm hoping we could get a game changing type of player. Iggy is a nice player, but he's getting up there in age and frankly I don't associate him with winning and he doesn't have the ability to take over a game on his own. Perhaps I'm not being realistic, but at some point the Rap's have got to make a move for a star player if they want to make a serious run in the playoffs.
            I'm curious who you think is more of a star player than Iggy, who might realistically be available for the Raps to target. Rudy Gay is the only other player that comes to my mind.

At the trade deadline, I could see some big names (or more likely just big contracts) being made available. I think a package of Calderon (just a half season of his $10.6M expiring contract, plus Toronto could include up to $3M cash) & Davis (good young PF on expiring contract with 2 team option years) & DeRozan (good young wing on expiring contract with full RFA/Bird rights) would be quite enticing to a team looking to rebuild, retool or free cap space.

If Fields returns to his rookie season form, Ross shows he is worthy of being a lottery pick and Kleiza shows that his injuries are behind him, then I could see DeRozan becoming quite expendable, especially given the fact that he'll be looking for a big payday in the offseason.

Lowry already makes Calderon expendable, plus he could still be signed as an UFA next offseason, to return to Toronto as a $5M veteran backup PG... could be a total win-win trade for Toronto.

Amir already makes Davis expendable (or vice-versa). If Acy shows that he is a legit NBA backup capable of playing spot minutes and if you also consider that a healthy Kleiza could play some minutes at PF in smaller 2nd unit, then one of Amir/Davis becomes even more expendable than they already are.

Calderon & Davis & DeRozan is just over $16.1M in combined salary. When you consider the salary cap trading rule for teams over the cap: Max Incoming Salary = [(total salary going out * 1.25)+$125K], then the Raps could take back a little over $20.26M for those 3 players. It should be a very interesting season, leading up to the trade deadline, especially with the new luxury tax model coming in.
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Aug 1, 2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Depending on how much of a larger role Paul George plays this year, Granger could be attainable.

Comment

I agree that Iggy isn't the guy you run an ISO for and ask to win games in the clutch. But with Lowry capable of handling that role, Iggy now seems to fit our roster.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing. I remember watching a few Boston games where he got minutes and he actually produced at a high level. Id like it if we got him as a 3rd string sg.
                  what about JaJuan Johnson as a 3rd string SG? I think he was involved in the Courtney Lee sign-and-trade as well. He can hit the mid range jumper and has some attack at the rim
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I'm curious who you think is more of a star player than Iggy, who might realistically be available for the Raps to target. Rudy Gay is the only other player that comes to my mind.

At the trade deadline, I could see some big names (or more likely just big contracts) being made available. I think a package of Calderon (just a half season of his $10.6M expiring contract, plus Toronto could include up to $3M cash) & Davis (good young PF on expiring contract with 2 team option years) & DeRozan (good young wing on expiring contract with full RFA/Bird rights) would be quite enticing to a team looking to rebuild, retool or free cap space.

If Fields returns to his rookie season form, Ross shows he is worthy of being a lottery pick and Kleiza shows that his injuries are behind him, then I could see DeRozan becoming quite expendable, especially given the fact that he'll be looking for a big payday in the offseason.

Lowry already makes Calderon expendable, plus he could still be signed as an UFA next offseason, to return to Toronto as a $5M veteran backup PG... could be a total win-win trade for Toronto.

Amir already makes Davis expendable (or vice-versa). If Acy shows that he is a legit NBA backup capable of playing spot minutes and if you also consider that a healthy Kleiza could play some minutes at PF in smaller 2nd unit, then one of Amir/Davis becomes even more expendable than they already are.

Calderon & Davis & DeRozan is just over $16.1M in combined salary. When you consider the salary cap trading rule for teams over the cap: Max Incoming Salary = [(total salary going out * 1.25)+$125K], then the Raps could take back a little over $20.26M for those 3 players. It should be a very interesting season, leading up to the trade deadline, especially with the new luxury tax model coming in.
                    In this current climate where Ryan Anderson is receiving a contract which pays him $9 million a season, and Roy Hibbert and Eric Gordon are getting max contracts I think waiting until the next off season to give James Harden a max offer is not unreasonable. Or perhaps a trade with OKC during the season if you can get some sort of commitment from Harden. Move Ross to SF next season and say good-bye to the days of being a bottom dweller in the east.

Lowry
                    Harden
                    T. Ross
                    Bargnani
                    JV

Comment

I'm thinking someone with potential to be a all star. I like Lowry as well, but I don't think he's got the ability to take over a game. James Harde and his stupid beard fits the bill imo. I'd be okay with a max offer sent his way.

Comment

I'm thinking someone with potential to be a all star. I like Lowry as well, but I don't think he's got the ability to take over a game. James Harde and his stupid beard fits the bill imo. I'd be okay with a max offer sent his way.
                        I like Harden and would love for him to be on the Raps, but he's a west coast kid who has already mentioned Phoenix as a possible team he'd be interested in (who would probably be interested since they lost out on Gordon). I think it would be tough to try and get Harden via free agency.

Easier in my opinion would be to get the stud via trade.

Comment

In this current climate where Ryan Anderson is receiving a contract which pays him $9 million a season, and Roy Hibbert and Eric Gordon are getting max contracts I think waiting until the next off season to give James Harden a max offer is not unreasonable. Or perhaps a trade with OKC during the season if you can get some sort of commitment from Harden. Move Ross to SF next season and say good-bye to the days of being a bottom dweller in the east.

Lowry
                          Harden
                          T. Ross
                          Bargnani
                          JV
                          I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really not all that high on Harden. I think he's a solid player who has excelled in a 6th man role on a great OKC team, playing in the shadow of the Durant/Westbrook tandem. When he was being counted on to perform in the finals, he was terrible. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I don't think he'd be any better than guys like Gay or Iggy, when thrust into the starring role as a team's #1 option go-to guy. I'd be worried giving him max money, but you're absolutely right that multiple teams will likely be lining up to do just that.

I expect OKC to retain him, while probably letting Ibaka leave first. However, if they decide to let Harden go and pursue a S&T, then I seriously doubt he would choose Toronto over other would-be suitors. As planetmars mentioned, he has already mentioned Phoenix and I'm sure he'd be lured by the bright lights of a big market US team, rather than coming to Toronto, just based on my read of him and his persona.

I'd definitely rank him up there at the top of the list of targets for Toronto to pursue, who might actually be available, but I seriously doubt he'd pick Toronto. For me, trading for Gay/Iggy would be option #1. I'm not as high on Granger/Deng as some others are, mainly because I don't think they'd be a big enough upgrade over the player(s) we'd have to give up.
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Aug 1, 2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            what about JaJuan Johnson as a 3rd string SG? I think he was involved in the Courtney Lee sign-and-trade as well. He can hit the mid range jumper and has some attack at the rim
                            Jajuan Johnson? Isn't he a 6'9" power forward...?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really not all that high on Harden. I think he's a solid player who has excelled in a 6th man role on a great OKC team, playing in the shadow of the Durant/Westbrook tandem. When he was being counted on to perform in the finals, he was terrible. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I don't think he'd be any better than guys like Gay or Iggy, when thrust into the starring role as a team's #1 option go-to guy. I'd be worried giving him max money, but you're absolutely right that multiple teams will likely be lining up to do just that.

I expect OKC to retain him, while probably letting Ibaka leave first. However, if they decide to let Harden go and pursue a S&T, then I seriously doubt he would choose Toronto over other would-be suitors. As planetmars mentioned, he has already mentioned Phoenix and I'm sure he'd be lured by the bright lights of a big market US team, rather than coming to Toronto, just based on my read of him and his persona.

I'd definitely rank him up there at the top of the list of targets for Toronto to pursue, who might actually be available, but I seriously doubt he'd pick Toronto. For me, trading for Gay/Iggy would be option #1. I'm not as high on Granger/Deng as some others are, mainly because I don't think they'd be a big enough upgrade over the player(s) we'd have to give up.
                              Getting him to pick Toronto is tough as he will likely receive max offers from other teams (everyone that misses out on D. Howard) which also make it unlikely OKC retains him as Durant and Westbrook are already receiving max money if I'm not mistaken.

I use to think about Rajon Rondo the same way you think of Harden that he's playing off great players, but I had to admit Rondo has carved out a nice career for himself now. Harden too could be a player that is fully capable of standing in the spot light on his own. He has great intangibles like leadership and drive and has a lot of great physical gifts as well. Perhaps opportunity is the only thing he is lacking. He knows how to win unlike Iggy whom has always played second fiddle and Gay just seems like a black hole when the ball is in his hands. Any ways that's my two cents and whom I would target next season if I felt I had a chance to get him. As you mentioned already it won't be easy.

Comment

Getting him to pick Toronto is tough as he will likely receive max offers from other teams (everyone that misses out on D. Howard) which also make it unlikely OKC retains him as Durant and Westbrook are already receiving max money if I'm not mistaken.

I use to think about Rajon Rondo the same way you think of Harden that he's playing off great players, but I had to admit Rondo has carved out a nice career for himself now. Harden too could be a player that is fully capable of standing in the spot light on his own. He has great intangibles like leadership and drive and has a lot of great physical gifts as well. Perhaps opportunity is the only thing he is lacking. He knows how to win unlike Iggy whom has always played second fiddle and Gay just seems like a black hole when the ball is in his hands. Any ways that's my two cents and whom I would target next season if I felt I had a chance to get him. As you mentioned already it won't be easy.
                                Racist!

Comment

Working...
                                X