Bill Simmons Sums Up our Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeten wrote: View Post
    I should mention Yahoo Sports, too. Adrian Wojnarowski is also excellent.

He's basically the Moses of basketball reporting right now.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
      I bet you Bill Simmons is happy that we have a four page thread where all we do is talk about him. Someone should send him the link.
      I'll send it to him.

But, we all have to start making fun of him...

Oh wait, we already did.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Isn't Bill Simmons that guy from those workout videos?

Comment

Here's another Raptor's blurb from Simmonsn on the lithuania/russia match:

Even if the Timofey Mozgov/Jonas Valanciunas center battle didn't bring back memories of Russell and Chamberlain, or even Dave Cowens and Tom Boerwinkle, I loved watching the guy who nearly derailed the Carmelo deal before realizing his meaninglessbackupbigmanian destiny in Denver (Mozgov) outplaying the top-five lottery pick that Toronto stashed away last summer (Valanciunas). On the bright side for Raptors fans …

1. Even if Valanciunas doesn't seem like he knows where to go or what to do, and even if his pick-and-roll defense could only be described as calamitous, he's only 20 AND he hustles. So there's hope.

2. At least they ended up with Landry Fields instead of Steve Nash.

#facepalm

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
            Here's another Raptor's blurb from Simmonsn on the lithuania/russia match:

Even if the Timofey Mozgov/Jonas Valanciunas center battle didn't bring back memories of Russell and Chamberlain, or even Dave Cowens and Tom Boerwinkle, I loved watching the guy who nearly derailed the Carmelo deal before realizing his meaninglessbackupbigmanian destiny in Denver (Mozgov) outplaying the top-five lottery pick that Toronto stashed away last summer (Valanciunas). On the bright side for Raptors fans …

1. Even if Valanciunas doesn't seem like he knows where to go or what to do, and even if his pick-and-roll defense could only be described as calamitous, he's only 20 AND he hustles. So there's hope.

2. At least they ended up with Landry Fields instead of Steve Nash.

#facepalm
            You see, this is the issue I have with Simmons. The dig is made without really looking objectively at the situation. He is doing it just to get a response..... which I have gone for hook, line, and sinker.

In their matchup on the court at the same time, JV had 7 points and 4 rebs while Mosgov had 9 points and 2 rebs. The AND-1 Mosgov had came on the first play back in to the game at the 4 minutes mark of the 3rd quarter after JV had sat since being subbed out at 3:42 of the first quarter. Mosgov is also 6 years older with 2 years NBA experience under his belt.

For a 20 year old who has no idea of where to go or what to do, 7 points and 9 rebounds in 15:44 is just incredible.

Now just imagine if he gets a supportive coach who is willing to mentor, instill confidence, and play through a mistake or two *GASP!*

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              You see, this is the issue I have with Simmons. The dig is made without really looking objectively at the situation. He is doing it just to get a response..... which I have gone for hook, line, and sinker.

In their matchup on the court at the same time, JV had 7 points and 4 rebs while Mosgov had 9 points and 2 rebs. The AND-1 Mosgov had came on the first play back in to the game at the 4 minutes mark of the 3rd quarter after JV had sat since being subbed out at 3:42 of the first quarter. Mosgov is also 6 years older with 2 years NBA experience under his belt.

For a 20 year old who has no idea of where to go or what to do, 7 points and 9 rebounds in 15:44 is just incredible.

Now just imagine if he gets a supportive coach who is willing to mentor, instill confidence, and play through a mistake or two *GASP!*
              I think Simmons is just out to stir up controversey and drum up chatter. In this case, not only with Raptors fans, but with Knicks & Nuggets fans too!

I personally think Denver made out quite well in the 'Melo trade, especially since I've always believed that 'Melo was an overrated, volume scoring ball hog. To get Gallinari, Mozgov, Chandler, Felton, a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks and $3M cash, while also unloading Williams, Carter and Balkman, I think was a great trade. Yes, it was tough to give up Billups, but he was old, expensive and sure to start declining in the near future, so I think it was acceptable for a rebuilding team.

That entire Simmons rant was just fodder for bloggers to go off on... which is exactly what I think he was hoping for, to help build his following and help him 'trend'. I just shrug it off, as I do with most 'expert insights' from US reporters when they decide to cover the Raps.

Comment

Simmons has said a few times he likes to rile up raptor fans because they're amongst the most rabid in the league, which he respects.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  Simmons has said a few times he likes to rile up raptor fans because they're amongst the most rabid in the league, which he respects.
                  yea you got that right. And we're proud of it right? well i am

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    rabid....sensitive

same things I guess

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                      rabid....sensitive

same things I guess
                      I disagree to a point... I get the feeling that some fanbases are completely indifferent, which is the worst possibility, IMO. Too many US cities have so many pro teams, on top of top tier NCAA schools and Nascar hotbeds, that I think the NBA gets bumped so far down their fan pecking order... it's the one good thing about having the only Canadian NBA team! Plus Toronto/Canada only has 1 MLB team, no NFL team and most Canadians aren't nearly as interested in NCAA (football/basketball) or nascar as Americans, so it's really only the NHL that the Raptors have to compete against. I think it's a huge advantage for the Raps!

I really don't think the fans are sensitive... I would say "passionately involved"!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I disagree to a point... I get the feeling that some fanbases are completely indifferent, which is the worst possibility, IMO. Too many US cities have so many pro teams, on top of top tier NCAA schools and Nascar hotbeds, that I think the NBA gets bumped so far down their fan pecking order... it's the one good thing about having the only Canadian NBA team! Plus Toronto/Canada only has 1 MLB team, no NFL team and most Canadians aren't nearly as interested in NCAA (football/basketball) or nascar as Americans, so it's really only the NHL that the Raptors have to compete against. I think it's a huge advantage for the Raps!

I really don't think the fans are sensitive... I would say "passionately involved"!
                        Not a fan of hockey. As much as I live in Canada, I'm all about football and basketball.

Not only are we "passionately involved", but we often like to change our minds..
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          Not a fan of hockey. As much as I live in Canada, I'm all about football and basketball.

Not only are we "passionately involved", but we often like to change our minds..
                          I was talking more generally about the Canadian masses VS the US masses... I would think for most Canadian sports fans, the NBA is either 2nd or3rd on their priority list in the winter (MLB & CFL are done), with NBA fighting with NFL for #2 behind NHL.

Personally, the Raps and NBA are #1 for me. I follow NHL/NFL too in the winter, but much more casually.

Comment

Interesting tweets on this subject today:

TheZanTabakHerald TheZanTabakHerald ‏@ZanTabakHerald

@WolstatSun @timpchisholm @raptorshq what did Colangelo ever do to him?

Ryan Wolstat Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

@timpchisholm @raptorshq Bill Simmons has made it very clear over the years he is no Bryan Colangelo backer. Columns, Book of Basketball etc

Tim Chisholm ‏@timpchisholm

Allow me a second to contain my shock. @raptorshq: Sportsguy Beats Up on #Raptors a Bit in Latest Column. http://sbn.to/OSY6MU

Comment

Bill Simmons's column with JV & Keliza references

I knew I couldn't have been the first one to post it...oops sorry about that.

Well, at least Bill was entertained.
                              Last edited by Mess; Fri Aug 10, 2012, 09:55 AM. Reason: Dumbness
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I'm not sure what kind of coaching JV has received up until now, but Casey will make sure he knows where to go on pick n' roll defense...evenutally.

Comment

Working...
                                X