The reality of Turkgolu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reality of Turkgolu

Ok let's get back to reality: Turkgolu is a 6''10 player who is shooting worse than many guards (42.7%; 12.3ppg) over his career. He is a good passer (2.9 assists career) and spotup 3pt shooter (38.5% career). He had one all-star caliber season in Orlando, a team that has enough scorers so that he could be the teams primary playmaker.

Now this is my beef about Raptors fans: Turkgolu has been playing SLIGHTLY below his career averages this season (40.1%fg; 12.5ppg but 3pt % 38.5 and 4.5 assists).

So why get all hot and bothered when a guy who is a career role player (28mins ppg) is asked to be basically the second scoring option behind Bosh? Obviously he was never that good to begin with.

And then comes the issue of trading Calderon for a starting SG. The majority of people here seem to be against it. Maybe they think that Turkgolu will step up and replicate his one 19.5ppg season. But let me tell you, a team with 4pgs (Banks, Calderon, Jack, Turkgolu) and no real starting scorers at the SG or SF position is never going to win anything.
    Last edited by dagon420; Wed Jan 27, 2010, 03:55 PM.

one of the worst posts ive seen in a while. congrats. by the way, you got it all wrong.

Comment

Raffy15 wrote: View Post
      one of the worst posts ive seen in a while. congrats. by the way, you got it all wrong.
      Are you kidding?!?!

I think the OP is pretty close to being right.

Turk was brought in to play/produce slightly above his average AND to make big shots in clutch time. Thus far, he's doing one of the two.
      RR OG

Comment

Raffy15 wrote: View Post
        He posted something and explained himself and you did not. I guess you see where I'm heading with this?

Comment

The situation is simple AB, Derozan & Jack are the future & Bosh, Jose & Turk need to get traded LOL no actually I'm serious.
          Waiting for DeRozan to windmill dunk in a game!

Comment

We're holding him to higher expectations than "slightly below his career averages" because we're paying him more money than he's ever made in his career. Sounds fair to me. I think fans would even be OK with the numbers if it looked like he gave true effort out there (especially on defense). If he does that, his critics will be quieter.

Comment

I just don't think he is capable of playing above his averages because there is no Howard and Lewis to hide his weaknesses. And even then he only had two seasons above 42.2% shooting. We paid 10 mil for a great role player.

Comment

While i'm not fully advocating this move, what about the possibility of relegating Turk to 6th man status. Assuming Derozan is healthy of course, we run out an athletic/defensive line up of Jack, Derozan, Wright/Weems, Bosh and Andrea. Turk still gets his minutes, but he gets to run against second units and be the primary playmaker along side Calderon.

I just haven't seen any chemistry Turk has with Bosh and Bargs. Maybe with Jose/Marco out there as shooters to spread the floor, he has more room to operate without Bosh/Bargs clogging up the elbow/paint. We could have Amir/Reggie cleaning up the boards and Turk has essentially a green light to operate.

I'm one of the biggest Turk detractors out there, but we still need him if we are going to make any noise. Right now with him giving us next to nothing, we are a surging firth seed. I am willing to try anything to get him back to slightly above average.

Comment

Does anyone else think that Turk isn't going to get up to his 19.5ppg best season average when he's sharing the ball with Bosh (24ppg), Bargs (17ppg), Jose (13ppg) and DeRozan (9ppg)? We have a high scoring offensive team, but there is only 1 ball and we have been making Bosh and Bargnani the #1 and #2 options on the floor. Turk doesn't have the ball in his hands as often as he did in Orlando or Sacramento. Yes, it would be nice to see him score the ball more, especially during the end of the game when we need the clutch basket, but if he does continue scoring at a 12-13ppg pace, that's not all bad. Hopefully his assists go up more because he has a lot of scorers playing alongside him now.

I'm not saying that I'm not disappointed with his play and that I'm happy that he's so inconsistent, but really, if we get quality minutes from him, have him distribute the ball as a point-forward, make open shots and create for himself and others, what's wrong with him averaging 12ppg, 4apg? He's always been a glue guy and if we can get him to be that kind of player with the Raps, then I think the $10 mil a year really won't matter much.

Comment

Turk was playing just below last year's level statistically until the end of December.

In Jan, he is WAY below. Thus the cries (whines) of anguish.

But, the team has been winning and despite all the "under the bus" comments, in the last 3 games Turk has been a big 4th quarter contributor and THAT's why he's smiling! The team is winning when Turk has the ball in the 4th because the offense runs better plus Turk has stepped up his game defensively.

If Turk gets his shot to fall - AND HE WILL - Raps will look pretty much unbeatable!

And Turk is a big boy - he can take the abuse (he's earned it).
                    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

To top everything off, Hedo is the reason DD is injured. He is solely responsible for DeMar's ankle injury-he must be made to pay!!!!

The affable rookie will miss his first game as a pro tonight (last night)after stepping on Hedo Turkoglu’s foot in practice yesterday (seriously, Can Hedo do anything right?) and spraining his ankle.
                      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs...rticle1446098/

Comment

I don't think the problem people have with Turk is in relation to the numbers he is putting up, but more of the overall package. That commerical certainly isn't helping matters.

There is a 0% chance he ever averages 19 ppg again, unless of course he starts working out with Rashard Lewis. I have no doubt the law averages will eventually kick in and his shot will start dropping, but I think it is his "glue guy" reputation that he earned in Orlando that doesn't seem to be sticking.

Often times I will try and focus solely on Turk for a several sets and if he doesn't have the ball in his hands he seems almost completely useless. He doesn't cut or set screens well, he's never close for an offensive rebound, I often see his man get the defensive rebound and he struggles to catch up in transition. On defense I see him helping like a 2nd year Bargs, guys consistently go up or around him for offensive boards and his lateral movement to close out on shooters is less than inspiring.

All this is rendered moot if he's dropping clutch three's and making big plays, but until that starts happening he is just one more slow white guy who can't be hidden like he was in Orlando because more often than not he is on the floor with other slow white guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X