• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek A1 round 15 best performance: Nikos Pappas - Feb 5, 2013

POSTED BY:
    EUROBASKET NEWS
    * follow us on**

Nikos Pappas
    Former international guard Nikos Pappas (195-G-90, agency: FCM) had a very impressive game in the last round for Panionios, receiving a Eurobasket.com Player of the Week award for round 15.
    The 22-year old player was the main contributor (25 points, nine rebounds and four assists) to his team's victory, helping them to crush Peristeri GS (#10, 5-10) with 22-point margin 91-69. Panionios maintains the 3rd position in Greek A1. They are still close to the very top. Panionios would have been even better if they kept winning the games like in the last round. They have a solid 12-3 record. In the team's last game Pappas had a remarkable three three-pointers out of 7 attempts. He turned to be Panionios' top player in his first season with the team. Nikos Pappas has solid league stats. He is league's best scorer averaging so far 18.7ppg. Pappas is in league's top in assists (9th best: 3.3apg) and averages impressive 50.8% FGP.

Comment

Highlights of his last game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvVRIsXZkqo.

Comment

The word in Greece is that big Euroleague clubs like Panathinaikos, Olympiacos, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Fenerbahce, CSKA, Efes, all want Pappas and will be offering him a lot of money and Panionios a big buyout this summer.

So, it seems very unlikely that he plays in the NBA next season, although he certainly should get NBA offers. But they probably will offer the rookie minimum, which will be way, way, way less than what those big Euroleague clubs will offer.

Comment

Does he play above avg defense?

Comment

knucklewrap wrote: View Post
            This guy is money in the bank. Greek 22 year old shooting guard undrafted, with huge upside.
            Currently a free agent, B.C. or Gherardini should definitely take a look, possibly bring him in for training camp.
            Best young player in the Greek league last year and he only played for the last half of the season.
            So he's a wing and would be behind Gay, DeRozan, Ross, Fields, and possibly Anderson on the depth chart in training camp.

Color me excited...

I don't understand why but there is almost always an active thread about a "young talent" the Raptors should acquire/take a look at who would be nothing but an end-of-bench or "DNP - Coach's Decision" on this board. In my opinion, we do not need more Kris Joseph talent-type players if we want to move forward.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why this thread even exists. I'll get to it right after I figure out why I'm reading it...

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                So he's a wing and would be behind Gay, DeRozan, Ross, Fields, and possibly Anderson on the depth chart in training camp.

Color me excited...

I don't understand why but there is almost always an active thread about a "young talent" the Raptors should acquire/take a look at who would be nothing but an end-of-bench or "DNP - Coach's Decision" on this board. In my opinion, we do not need more Kris Joseph talent-type players if we want to move forward.
                Check out the date of the post Hug, July 2012, training camp last summer, prior to the Gay, Fields, Anderson signings. Also, Ross was untested yet as a Raptor. You are right though we are set at the wing position for now.
                We need bigs, and hopefully the Bargniani for Boozer trade rumor happens.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post

Color me excited...

It would take about 2 days in training camp for Pappas to be first over all of those players on the depth chart. Sorry, but this guy is far better than any of those players. Anderson played in Europe for years, and even at his prime he was not half as good as Pappas is already.

Also, Pappas isn't a wing anyway. He's a combo guard.

Comment

Pappas should stay in Greece and become a Greek god. He has the potential to be a poor man's Manu you say? Manu, who at 35 with many injuries through his lengthy career, has more hops than the 22 year old Pappas. Pappas is more like Blake Steppe or Andy Rautins, good players, just not NBA good, imo.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                      Pappas should stay in Greece and become a Greek god. He has the potential to be a poor man's Manu you say? Manu, who at 35 with many injuries through his lengthy career, has more hops than the 22 year old Pappas. Pappas is more like Blake Steppe or Andy Rautins, good players, just not NBA good, imo.
                      Those players were scrubs in Europe. Pappas is already one of the best players in Europe. You should not be comparing guys that were scrubs in Europe to one of the best players in Europe. That's just illogical.

And I never mentioned Manu in this thread and never compared him to Pappas. But since you bring it up and imply that the current Manu is better than Pappas............I laugh.

The current Manu is not even in close to as good as the current Pappas is. Manu can barely even play anymore, and Pappas is an unstoppable scorer.

Don't even joke about comparing Pappas to 35 year old Manu. That's an insult to Pappas.
                      Last edited by Basilis; Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Basilis wrote: View Post
                        The current Manu is not even in close to as good as the current Pappas is. Manu can barely even play anymore, and Pappas is an unstoppable scorer.

Don't even joke about comparing Pappas to 35 year old Manu. That's an insult to Pappas.
                        Manu, who is currently injured, is having a good year playing in 40 games so far. 21.12 PER is nothing to sneeze at and not a joke. That's 19th in the NBA.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

Manu and Pappas will only be mentioned in the same breath on a forum like this. I will take your word that Pappas is a great European player. But I have to ask you this question: has there ever been a Greek player that has been an impact player in the NBA? It will happen some day I'm sure but I am skeptical about Pappas' athletic ability judging from those youtube clips. I look forward to seeing him in the next world championship.

Comment

Those players were scrubs in Europe. Pappas is already one of the best players in Europe. You should not be comparing guys that were scrubs in Europe to one of the best players in Europe. That's just illogical.

And I never mentioned Manu in this thread and never compared him to Pappas. But since you bring it up and imply that the current Manu is better than Pappas............I laugh.

Dude Manu Ginobilli is a HOF. Shut up with this Pappas BS, this guy is D League trash compared to Manu. Don't even compare the two until this Pappas dude comes to the nba and proves that he belongs. Till then don't even mention the two in the same breath

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                            Manu, who is currently injured, is having a good year playing in 40 games so far. 21.12 PER is nothing to sneeze at and not a joke. That's 19th in the NBA.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

Manu and Pappas will only be mentioned in the same breath on a forum like this. I will take your word that Pappas is a great European player. But I have to ask you this question: has there ever been a Greek player that has been an impact player in the NBA? It will happen some day I'm sure but I am skeptical about Pappas' athletic ability judging from those youtube clips. I look forward to seeing him in the next world championship.

Rasho Nesterovic

Kurt Rambis

Rony Seikaly

Peja Stojakovic

Kostas Koufos

Jake Tsakalidis

Marko Jaric

All of those Greek players had an impact in the NBA.

Comment

Rasho Nesterovic

Kurt Rambis

Rony Seikaly

Peja Stojakovic

Kostas Koufos

Jake Tsakalidis

Marko Jaric

All of those Greek players had an impact in the NBA.
                              Peja is from Serbia isn't he?

Comment

And Nesterovic is Slovenian.

Lol someone is deluding themselves with national pride
                                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                                X