Misconceptions about Derozan's Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misconceptions about Derozan's Size

Whenever a suggestion to play Derozan at the SF position gets brought up, the number one reason people point to as to why it should not happen is the belief that Derozan is somehow too small to guard SF's. I've heard it many times on this forum that "Derozan needs to bulk up before he can play the 3".

So I wanted to do a little comparison between DD's physical attributes and some of the other SF's in the league that are known for their defense:

Derozan: 6'7 216lbs

Andre Iguodala: 6'6 207 lbs (known as one of the best defenders in the league at his position)
    Luol Deng: 6'9 220 lbs (known as a great defender)
    Landry Fields (not one of the best known, but often mentioned as a better choice than demar): 6'7 215 lbs

As we can see from here, Derozan's size is more than adequate enough to defend most SF's. Sure their are going to be some SF's that will be tougher to guard (lebron, paul pierce) but those guys are tough match ups for anyone in the league.

Even a guy like Sefolosha who is known as one of the best wing defenders in the league, a guy who guarded lebron james in the NBA finals is 6'7 215lbs slightly smaller than Demar is.

So I think it is time for us to dispel these notions that Demar cannot play the 3 because of his size, it is simply not true, he can play that position he is at the very least the average size to play it, and at best he is more athletically gifted than most SF's.

Now learning how to play defense is another thing. I am not saying that he is a good defender, simply that size is not an issue for him defending SF. For those that say that he would be even more of a liability guarding the 3 as opposed to the 2, I believe that the SG position is probably one of the toughest positions to guard (after the PG).

In fact seeing as how his long range shooting is well below NBA SG's, but he does have a strong mid range jumper, it might make more sense to park a 3pt shooting threat at the SG (fields) and have Demar play the 3 so he can use his mid range jumper and slash to the hoop.

What do you guys think?
    "Defense wins championships."

I'm glad you posted these comparisons.. I really did believe that Demar was much smaller. When I think Demar I can't picture him bigger than Igoudala

Comment

There are misconceptions about Demar's height. He's actually 6'5.5". Igoudala is a quarter inch taller. His standing reach is two inches greater than DD. Landry Fields is a whole inch taller. I have no measurement stats for Sefolosha.

Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/
      Last edited by stretch; Mon Jul 23, 2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
        There are misconceptions about Demar's height. He's actually 6'5.5". Igoudala is a quarter inch taller. His standing reach is two inches greater than DD. Landry Fields is a whole inch taller. I have no measurement stats for Sefolosha.

Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/
        All of my measurements are from NBA.com, seems like a credible source to me, here is a link for Demar's stats:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_derozan/
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Casey seems to be pretty keen on Demar playing SF eventually. Remember, Bruce Bowen was only 6'7, and he was one of the best defensive players ever. Also, Demar is more atheletic than Bowen, and still has a lot of growing room. If he keeps bulking up, there is no reason he couldn't do it.
          Also, I think Dennis Rodman proved that being tall isn't everything.

Comment

The source is questionable but it says that Sefalosha has a standing reach of 7'2". Demar's is 6'9" according to Draft Express.

Source: http://forums.hoopshype.com/forums/i...c=18607.0;wap2

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
              All of my measurements are from NBA.com, seems like a credible source to me, here is a link for Demar's stats:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_derozan/
              draftexpress.com's measurements are also from the NBA which publishes the pre draft measurements of those candidates that show up to the NBA's pre draft camp at the University of Illinois at Chicago (usually). They are official NBA stats and they measure with and without shoes.

Andre Drummond caught some heat at this year's pre draft for wearing shoes that made him a full 2 inches taller.
              Last edited by stretch; Mon Jul 23, 2012, 11:05 PM.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                Whenever a suggestion to play Derozan at the SF position gets brought up, the number one reason people point to as to why it should not happen is the belief that Derozan is somehow too small to guard SF's. I've heard it many times on this forum that "Derozan needs to bulk up before he can play the 3".

So I wanted to do a little comparison between DD's physical attributes and some of the other SF's in the league that are known for their defense:

Derozan: 6'7 216lbs

Andre Iguodala: 6'6 207 lbs (known as one of the best defenders in the league at his position)
                Luol Deng: 6'9 220 lbs (known as a great defender)
                Landry Fields (not one of the best known, but often mentioned as a better choice than demar): 6'7 215 lbs

As we can see from here, Derozan's size is more than adequate enough to defend most SF's. Sure their are going to be some SF's that will be tougher to guard (lebron, paul pierce) but those guys are tough match ups for anyone in the league.

Even a guy like Sefolosha who is known as one of the best wing defenders in the league, a guy who guarded lebron james in the NBA finals is 6'7 215lbs slightly smaller than Demar is.

So I think it is time for us to dispel these notions that Demar cannot play the 3 because of his size, it is simply not true, he can play that position he is at the very least the average size to play it, and at best he is more athletically gifted than most SF's.

Now learning how to play defense is another thing. I am not saying that he is a good defender, simply that size is not an issue for him defending SF. For those that say that he would be even more of a liability guarding the 3 as opposed to the 2, I believe that the SG position is probably one of the toughest positions to guard (after the PG).

In fact seeing as how his long range shooting is well below NBA SG's, but he does have a strong mid range jumper, it might make more sense to park a 3pt shooting threat at the SG (fields) and have Demar play the 3 so he can use his mid range jumper and slash to the hoop.

What do you guys think?
                Good comparisons there. I think his defensive skill compared to his size is really the only thing I'm worried about when playing the 3. The guy is inconsistent in his effort in playing defense, he was a much better defender in year 2.

I watched an old game against the Cavs in the 2010-2011 season, and man Demar went after every guy he guarded, it just seems like he's taking a step back from that.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I've definitely fallen victim to this misconception in the past, thanks for the comparisons. What Iggy, Deng, Seflosha et al have that DD does not is the strength in his upper body to guard in the post. This is simply due to the fact that he is still maturing physically...the shift to SF is only a matter of time.

Comment

Thanks SuperRaptor for clarifying that. however I still think he needs to hit the weights hard this summer because it will pay off big time especially when initiating contact. I would eventually love to see a starting lineup including Ross and Derozan, but I think it will be fields starting alongside Derozan to start the season unless Ross makes a hell of an impression in training camp, which I cant really see happening.
                    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

demar whining about playing SF made me roll my eyes
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        demar whining about playing SF made me roll my eyes
                        Demar whined about playing small forward?
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

The biggest issue is that Demar is soft

Comment

Obviously size wise according to the research(very nice job) there is no reason why Demar cannot play SF. However, it seems like the coaching staff are reluctant to play him at the SF position. While nobody knows the exact reason, it seems to me that while size is important, one requires the skill to play the position as well. Yes this thread is about his size and I mean no dis-respect by bringing this up. Some of the names mentioned like Iguodala, Deng, Fields. James, Pierce if you notice have other than offensive skills the ability to play good defense and rebound the ball well. Demar is not bad in this department but cannot match those mentioned. Just thought I'd point it out.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

ya he's most equipped to play SG and if he figures it out. He could be a dominant SG with all that size and athleticism

Comment

Working...
                              X