Misconceptions about Derozan's Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IROR wrote: View Post
    I've definitely fallen victim to this misconception in the past, thanks for the comparisons. What Iggy, Deng, Seflosha et al have that DD does not is the strength in his upper body to guard in the post. This is simply due to the fact that he is still maturing physically...the shift to SF is only a matter of time.
    Defense, and certainly post defense, has nothing to do with upper body strength. It's all lower body/centre of gravity when it comes to pushing people off the block and holding your position. It's why Barkley was so great in the paint..

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
      I've definitely fallen victim to this misconception in the past, thanks for the comparisons. What Iggy, Deng, Seflosha et al have that DD does not is the strength in his upper body to guard in the post. This is simply due to the fact that he is still maturing physically...the shift to SF is only a matter of time.
      Yup, I think strength is the main concern here. Despite DeRozan's weight, he's still not strong enough to power through defenders (on offense), or fight through screens (on defence).

Comment

I think the key thing is that Iggy, Deng, Sefelosha etc.. are good defenders no matter what their size is wheras DeMar isn't. DeMar doesn't handle contact well wheras those other players mentioned invite it. It's not that there is a specific size DD needs to be to be a good defender, but in his specific case it would be better to get stronger in order to attempt to guard the SF position, as it will only help an already poor defender.

One way or another it's going to require a complete dedication to defending for him to have any success at guarding SF. He can have a two inch growth spurt and his reach could somehow get longer, but if you're a poor defender, you're a poor defender.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Yup, I think strength is the main concern here. Despite DeRozan's weight, he's still not strong enough to power through defenders (on offense), or fight through screens (on defence).
          I would also question the desire to take the beating to do those things. A good part of being a great defender is having the mentality to be willing to sacrifice your body.

Comment

swingman wrote: View Post
            Casey seems to be pretty keen on Demar playing SF eventually. Remember, Bruce Bowen was only 6'7, and he was one of the best defensive players ever. Also, Demar is more atheletic than Bowen, and still has a lot of growing room. If he keeps bulking up, there is no reason he couldn't do it.
            Also, I think Dennis Rodman proved that being tall isn't everything.

The difference is they both wanted it.

Derozan's only consistent quality is his lackadaisical approach to the game. But there is no doubt he has the physical tools. I like the kid. I really hope he can put it together.

And there is NO WAY that Iggy is 206. Unless maybe he is like 0% percent body fat. The dude is jacked.

for reference: http://photos.cleveland.com/plain-de...guodala_2.html

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              The source is questionable but it says that Sefalosha has a standing reach of 7'2". Demar's is 6'9" according to Draft Express.

Source: http://forums.hoopshype.com/forums/i...c=18607.0;wap2
              So those standing reaches are impossible for them unless they have t-Rex arms. Do you mean Wing span?

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                So those standing reaches are impossible for them unless they have t-Rex arms. Do you mean Wing span?
                Yes, thanks, I meant wingspan. Standing reach for Sefolosha is on that link also at 8'11".

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                  There are misconceptions about Demar's height. He's actually 6'5.5". Igoudala is a quarter inch taller. His standing reach is two inches greater than DD. Landry Fields is a whole inch taller. I have no measurement stats for Sefolosha.

Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/
                  If your measurements are from predraft isn't it very possible that Demar has grown an inch and a half since then like Paul George? Nba.com could be more updated

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                    If your measurements are from predraft isn't it very possible that Demar has grown an inch and a half since then like Paul George? Nba.com could be more updated
                    Not always. Amir is still listed at 210lbs.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I would also question the desire to take the beating to do those things. A good part of being a great defender is having the mentality to be willing to sacrifice your body.
                      I think this pretty much sums up why DeMar hasn't been a solid defender. He doesn't have that fire in him to take the beating a defender needs to take. He has the physical size, but I don't think he has that defensive mind. Maybe its a basketball IQ related issue? Maybe Casey can light that fire under him? I don't know...but I've never really been a fan of DeMar as a defender, and I've never attributed it to his size.

Comment

Also don't forget that DraftExpress is pre-draft measurements. I grew another 2-3 inches after the age of 19.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

Quito wrote: View Post
                          I think this pretty much sums up why DeMar hasn't been a solid defender. He doesn't have that fire in him to take the beating a defender needs to take. He has the physical size, but I don't think he has that defensive mind. Maybe its a basketball IQ related issue? Maybe Casey can light that fire under him? I don't know...but I've never really been a fan of DeMar as a defender, and I've never attributed it to his size.
                          If he doesn't get it this year, he never will. He has a contract extension on the line combined with more competition for playing time and a team desperate to make the playoffs.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            If he doesn't get it this year, he never will. He has a contract extension on the line combined with more competition for playing time and a team desperate to make the playoffs.
                            I'm curious to see how many non-defensive oriented, gifted athletes like DeMar have actually turned solid defensive players. But I agree, you can only do so much for a player, as a coach, to teach a player how to defend.

Comment

Seems to me like a fair number of Demar type guys end up being above average defenders after a few years in the league...having a hard time naming any off the top of my head . Sprewell? Starks? MoPete...?

Comment

Quito wrote: View Post
                                I think that the reason why Demar is a weak defender is because the first 2 years of his NBA career he was coached by Jay Triano and played in the worst defensive team in the league. Lets face it defensively Jay Triano as a coach sucked, and playing for a team that is the worst in the league in defense makes you learn bad habits, I mean defense was just not a focus for the team pre-Casey.

Give this guy 1-2 more years under Casey, I guarantee he will become a good defender, I mean if Andrea Bargnani's defense can improve the way we saw it did early in the season with no training camp, Demar's can improve too. The focus is now defense, and I have faith in Casey to teach these guys how to play hard on that side of the ball.
                                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Working...
                                X