• Toronto - Houston Deal

To Raptors

SG Kevin Martin
    2013 1st Round Draft Pick

To Rockets

SG DeMar DeRozan
    SF Linas Kleiza

Raptors get:
    - upgrade at SG position (more experienced, better shooter)
    - free up more space at SF for Fields (Ross can develop more with increased playing time)
    - can be a mentor to Uzoh, Ross
    - new first round pick gives them 2 in a very talented 2013 draft class

Rockets get:
    - get rid of Martin's massive contract (set to earn 12,000,000+ this year)
    - can increase cap space in effort to get Dwight
    - have 2 young, exciting guards at SG in Jeremy Lamb and DeRozan
    - gives reliable backup SF in Kleiza (can shoot and good in post for a forward)
    Last edited by isaacthompson; Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 AM.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

I had to think about this trade for a while, but I think it could be a really good trade.
    We get Kevin Martin who is a perfect Mentor/ the player I see Ross becoming, as well as a first round draft pick, and drop Klieza's Contract.

A lot of people will disagree with this trade, but for me the part that puts it over the top is the 12 Mill expiring contract. With 12 Mill expiring, plus 10 Mill from Calderon, We suddenly have a lot of cap-space. This would then let us overpay for a guy like Harden next summer

Lowry
    Harden
    Ross/Fields
    Bargnani/Ed
    Val/Amir
    + a first round draft pick

I see that as a really good core.

Edit:
    Just realized next year they might have our draft pick...
    Wouldn't the trade essentially be something like

DD + Klieza For Lowry and Martin then?

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
      To Raptors

SG Kevin Martin

To Rockets

SG DeMar DeRozan
      SF Linas Kleiza

Raptors get:
      - free up more space at SF for Fields (Ross can develop more with increased playing time)

Rockets get:
      Houston WILL NOT trade any 1st rounders as long as there is a slightest chance of getting Howard (Since Orlando wants a lot 1st rounders, way more than decent players like DD).

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
        Houston WILL NOT trade any 1st rounders as long as there is a slightest chance of getting Howard (Since Orlando wants a lot 1st rounders, way more than decent players like DD).
        Especially for players like DeMar and Linas. It seems to me that someone like DeMar isn't too difficult to replace. There's always a wing player that can be drafted. That's the easiest position to draft. There's a ton each year that come into the league.

Anyway, assuming that the Rockets approved this trade, I would say that having to put up with a chucker like Martin would be worth it just to clear that salary from the books. Sadly, I think there's no chance this gets done.
        Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          To Raptors

SG Kevin Martin

To Rockets

SG DeMar DeRozan
          SF Linas Kleiza

Raptors get:

Rockets get:
          Not a totally impossible trade. Can be done with some minor alterations. For example, if the draft pick is a protected one and Toronto adds a 2 nd rounder. Just an example. Not a ridiculous suggestion by any stretch. Houston would have to find a replacement for Martin after the season and would love to have Demar who in my opinion is a much better than Martin.
          While getting rid of Martin's contract at the end of the season, Toronto would have a much needed 1 st round draft pick.
          Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:31 PM.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
          X