2012 Updated Off-Season Grades - ESPN Insider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toinsy wrote: View Post
    Also the big contract for Fields is dulled by the great contract for Lowry.

So Lowry and Fields for approx 14 million a year. Not too bad at all!
    I thought they were making closer to 12 million a year combined. 14 millin a year is near max contract money and I'm not sure if Lowry and Fields are worth that. Then again some of the players that received max contracts during the off season make you think twice. What was the lockout all about again?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Have to agree.

I don't think the contract is good by any stretch of the imagination but it is not THAT bad.

The thing that pisses me off is people continuing with the $20M. It is $18.75M - $6.25M per season.

He is likely overpaid by about $2M per year but given restricted free agency in general, one has to overpay to begin with.

I'd be very happy at $4M but at $4M he'd be a Knick.
      Exactly. We add a starting SF who fits perfectly in to our system, is a good citizen, without giving up any other assets. A swing and a miss for sure re Nash, but all told i believe we are better with Lowry and Fields. And you always overpay with an offersheet. I like our lineup.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        I don't like Chad Ford. I have no specific reason...I just feel like should we be at a bar he would likely say something to annoy me and catch a back hand.
        haha

Comment

thanks theycallmeZZ for sharing the ESPN insider article. Much appreciated.

Chad Ford's assessment isn't horrible, but I agree with Balls, Matt, Joey, Octothorp, et al about Landry Fields. How can Chad call his acquisition a "blemish"? Was it really that bad? I would have given BC a solid B. But the proof of the pudding will be the final standings come next spring.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these pieces fit together.
          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
            ...But the proof of the pudding will be the final standings come next spring.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these pieces fit together.
            Excellently put. Everything else is just mouth noise.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              Excellently put. Everything else is just mouth noise.
              You got it right. Ford is probably just a tad pissed at BC or whoever his insider was on the Raps for giving him Waiters & Lamb as the Rap choices. I am glad it wasnt Waiters....he didnt look so good at Vegas. I remember that on the Melo deal the Nuggets wanted Fields instead of Wilson Chandler which was refused by the Knicks. Chandler now has a contract for 5 yrs and 37 mill. I would say that the two are not that far apart in talent/upside but quite a difference on contract terms. WC also is coming off a hip procedure. So we shall see.

Comment

Well, Fields' contract honestly is a blemish, as in it's not perfect, but it's not a huge blemish. You can argue the grade should not have dropped by that much in his completely fictional and arbitrary marking system but the next time Chad Ford has an impact on anything on the court will be the first.

W. Chandler is paid slightly more, has slightly better stats and is slightly older. I think Fields is a better fit, and hopefully his play reflects that and his numbers resemble his rookie year, not last season.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I thought Asik was 3 years and $25M? $8.3 per year?
                  You are correct.

And for what it's worth, I'd much rather have Omer Asik than DeAndre Jordan. I think Asik is one hell of a defensive player - better than Noah certainly - and that he will give more than fair value to the Rockets if he can stay on the floor for 28+ mpg a game.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    You are correct.

And for what it's worth, I'd much rather have Omer Asik than DeAndre Jordan. I think Asik is one hell of a defensive player - better than Noah certainly - and that he will give more than fair value to the Rockets if he can stay on the floor for 28+ mpg a game.
                    That is along the lines of what Morey was saying. He also said something about 10+ rebounds per game if given opportunity. I believe he is a big advanced stats guy.

Like Fields, time will tell.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      You got it right. Ford is probably just a tad pissed at BC or whoever his insider was on the Raps for giving him Waiters & Lamb as the Rap choices. I am glad it wasnt Waiters....he didnt look so good at Vegas. I remember that on the Melo deal the Nuggets wanted Fields instead of Wilson Chandler which was refused by the Knicks. Chandler now has a contract for 5 yrs and 37 mill. I would say that the two are not that far apart in talent/upside but quite a difference on contract terms. WC also is coming off a hip procedure. So we shall see.
                      Those are some interesting points that I had forgot or had not thought of.

Imagine if the Raps had acquired WC last year, he played as he did, and then needed the surgery. WoW! Can you talk about livid and the call for BC's head?

I was a pretty big fan of going after Chandler but the hip surgery makes him a big question mark moving forward.

Between Chandler and Fields, I'm not sure who I would rather from a basketball perspective at this point in time - only due to surgery. No doubt Chandler is more of a prototypical SF though. If you look at TheNBAGeek.com comparison engine, the choice is clear - by a landslide.

Comment

my understanding is the hip procedure wasn't that big of a deal...they just take longer to heal because you engage your core (just below your balls to just above your belly button) for almost every single activity you do from taking a poop to getting out of bed. You can't isolate and rest the way you can an ankle or knee etc... Chandler will be fine though.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          I don't like Chad Ford. I have no specific reason...I just feel like should we be at a bar he would likely say something to annoy me and catch a back hand.
                          +1

Comment

I guess the question about Landry Fields' contract is what we could have gotten instead. Fields is not going to be a terrible starter. He'll be decent. But could we have gotten better for the amount spent? I've listed some small(ish) contracts signed during this offseason for 2s and 3s:

OJ Mayo: $8.5m/2yr with Dallas
                            Anthony Randolph: $6m/3yr with Denver
                            Michael Beasley: $18m/3yr with Phoenix
                            Nick Young: $6m/1yr with Philadelphia
                            Danny Green: $12m/3yr with San Antonio
                            J.R. Smith: $5.6m/2yr with New York
                            Shannon Brown: $7m/2yr with Phoenix
                            Steve Novak: $15m/4yr with New York
                            Gerald Green: $10.5m/3yr with Indiana
                            Randy Foye: $2.5m/1yr with Utah
                            Ronnie Brewer: $1m/1yr with New York

Not saying we could have gotten any of these guys, but there are some bargain basement prices in this list. Let me just say I'm happy with Landry Fields as our starting SF this year. But you can't deny there were some really nice deals that make ours with Landry look pretty horrible.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              I guess the question about Landry Fields' contract is what we could have gotten instead. Fields is not going to be a terrible starter. He'll be decent. But could we have gotten better for the amount spent? I've listed some small(ish) contracts signed during this offseason for 2s and 3s:

OJ Mayo: $8.5m/2yr with Dallas
                              Anthony Randolph: $6m/3yr with Denver
                              Michael Beasley: $18m/3yr with Phoenix
                              Nick Young: $6m/1yr with Philadelphia
                              Danny Green: $12m/3yr with San Antonio
                              J.R. Smith: $5.6m/2yr with New York
                              Shannon Brown: $7m/2yr with Phoenix
                              Steve Novak: $15m/4yr with New York
                              Gerald Green: $10.5m/3yr with Indiana
                              Randy Foye: $2.5m/1yr with Utah
                              Ronnie Brewer: $1m/1yr with New York

Not saying we could have gotten any of these guys, but there are some bargain basement prices in this list. Let me just say I'm happy with Landry Fields as our starting SF this year. But you can't deny there were some really nice deals that make ours with Landry look pretty horrible.
                              Nick Young is getting $6m a year and Ronnie Brewer is only getting $1m?? wooow
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Have to agree.

I don't think the contract is good by any stretch of the imagination but it is not THAT bad.

The thing that pisses me off is people continuing with the $20M. It is $18.75M - $6.25M per season.

He is likely overpaid by about $2M per year but given restricted free agency in general, one has to overpay to begin with.

I'd be very happy at $4M but at $4M he'd be a Knick.

The thing that really bugs me is that people think the Raptors had to overpay Landry to kill the Nash sign and trade to the Knicks. The moment Landry signed that offer sheet, whether it was for $1M or $20M annually, the trade was blocked because NY wouldn't have been able to match it and trade him in the summer, they would've had to wait until Jan 15th. The Raps had to overpay to keep NY from matching, although Colangelo did say the offer may have served a dual purpose. Either way Matt, I agree that people need to get their facts straight before setting off a firestorm of anti-BC comments. Even at $6.25M i'm happy with the signing.

Comment

Working...
                                X