The culture change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The culture change

Last season we witnessed a culture change. The raptors went from being one of the joke teams in the league to a club that even the good teams had to play hard against to beat. We obviously took our lumps, mostly because of the level of talent, but watching players that never seemed to give 100% effort in the past suddenly come to life and play with passion was mind blowing. The team wasn't very good, but for the first time in years they were fun to watch because you knew they'd compete and wouldn't back down from any team. Props to Casey for this.

Now then, lets talk about this season.

Enter: Lowry, Flying V, Fields, Ross and JL3.

You're looking at not only a significant talent upgrade, especially at the two most important spots (center and point guard) but also installing four players that are winners. They want to win. They need to win. They'll do whatever it takes to win. Instead of letting teams slap them around and turn the other cheek you're looking at a group of players led by their tenacious coach that will stare down adversity in the face and take a swing back. When you watch highlights of Lowry, Val and Ross get into the paint and score then glare at the opposing bench you're not just seeing a confidence the team has never seen, you're watching players making a point.

I don't give a shit about you or your team. I'm not going to stop.

And i'm going to beat you.

Gone are the days of pitiful effort and self pity.

The culture change last year was a nice start, but this season it comes full swing. Everyone under one frame of mind.

Win.
    @sweatpantsjer

This thread needs some music:

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      This thread needs some music:

+1 home opener theme song

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        ...but for the first time in years they were fun to watch....
        I stopped reading after that line. The 2011-12 had some of the worst games, lineups and players since the expansion era. The team played at a glacial pace. If they played any slower, they'd stop. Despite that, they turned the ball over at a horrific pace while fouling more than any other team in the NBA.

This team was a lot of things last season. "fun to watch" wasn't one of them...

Comment

Now if we could only get James Earl Jones to narrate for us.

Comment

Darth Vader over Rocky Music? That gets my vote...
            Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              The 2011-12 had some of the worst games, lineups and players since the expansion era. The team played at a glacial pace. If they played any slower, they'd stop. Despite that, they turned the ball over at a horrific pace while fouling more than any other team in the NBA.

This team was a lot of things last season. "fun to watch" wasn't one of them...
              +1

The "no-fun" factor was why I was able to finish reading Panzertruppen: The Complete Guide to the Creation & Combat Employment of Germany's Tank Force: 1943-1945, Small Unit Actions During The German Campaign In Russia, and The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia.

Comment

The team needs it's best players, the guys looked upon to be leaders, to lead the charge. If Bargnani doesn't bust his ass on defense and the glass this season then the Raptors won't progress nearly as far as they hope.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  The team needs it's best players, the guys looked upon to be leaders, to lead the charge. If Bargnani doesn't bust his ass on defense and the glass this season then the Raptors won't progress nearly as far as they hope.
                  +1
                  That, and staying injury-free. Fingers crossed next season is the first step towards contention.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    ...This team was a lot of things last season. "fun to watch" wasn't one of them...
                    You are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Of course, if depends on your definition.

They more fun to watch last year than the previous two, that's for sure. I know because I tried to watch in 2009/2010, and 2010/2011. those two years, watching Raps basketball was the equivalent of driving ice picks into your eyes. I will take last season over the previous two any day.

Comment

The Raps are getting Racks on Racks on Racks

Comment

Good call Matt, exactly what I was thinking halfway through

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          Last season we witnessed a culture change. The raptors went from being one of the joke teams in the league to a club that even the good teams had to play hard against to beat. We obviously took our lumps, mostly because of the level of talent, but watching players that never seemed to give 100% effort in the past suddenly come to life and play with passion was mind blowing. The team wasn't very good, but for the first time in years they were fun to watch because you knew they'd compete and wouldn't back down from any team. Props to Casey for this.

Now then, lets talk about this season.

Enter: Lowry, Flying V, Fields, Ross and JL3.

You're looking at not only a significant talent upgrade, especially at the two most important spots (center and point guard) but also installing four players that are winners. They want to win. They need to win. They'll do whatever it takes to win. Instead of letting teams slap them around and turn the other cheek you're looking at a group of players led by their tenacious coach that will stare down adversity in the face and take a swing back. When you watch highlights of Lowry, Val and Ross get into the paint and score then glare at the opposing bench you're not just seeing a confidence the team has never seen, you're watching players making a point.

I don't give a shit about you or your team. I'm not going to stop.

And i'm going to beat you.

Gone are the days of pitiful effort and self pity.

The culture change last year was a nice start, but this season it comes full swing. Everyone under one frame of mind.

Win.
                          I love your spirit! LETS GOOO!!!!

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            +1

The "no-fun" factor was why I was able to finish reading Panzertruppen: The Complete Guide to the Creation & Combat Employment of Germany's Tank Force: 1943-1945, Small Unit Actions During The German Campaign In Russia, and The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia.
                            Jeesh. I only got through War and Peace. Making me look like a featherweight. I also noticed a lot less people going into the game time chats (@ Raptors Republic) this past season. By the end, they weren't even worth going in.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              Jeesh. I only got through War and Peace. Making me look like a featherweight. I also noticed a lot less people going into the game time chats (@ Raptors Republic) this past season. By the end, they weren't even worth going in.
                              I observed the same thing on RealCanFans, the other team I followed closely.

The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia is an excellent, fairly easy read about England and Russia's battle for supremacy in Central Asia. It flows well and it less dry than War & Peace. The other two books are only interesting if you're a historian or a serious wargamer.

Comment

Working...
                              X