No announcement yet.

Jose Calderon + Olympics = Increased Asset Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys think some GM's are waiting for the Olympics to be done before they consumate a trade with players involved in the games? Why would a GM trade for Calderon now when he might get injured during the Olympics? Maybe the Raps and the 76ers will do a Calderon and others for Iguodala swap when they both get back from th Olympics healthy. Or am I just dreaming?

Comment

....or perhaps Colangelo is waiting to see how Deng's wrist hold's up before he decides on a swap......

Comment

JStockton wrote: View Post
        Do you guys think some GM's are waiting for the Olympics to be done before they consumate a trade with players involved in the games? Why would a GM trade for Calderon now when he might get injured during the Olympics? Maybe the Raps and the 76ers will do a Calderon and others for Iguodala swap when they both get back from th Olympics healthy. Or am I just dreaming?
        I would think that is playing a role for sure. I know I wouldn't want Calderon until after the Olympics are finished. You get to see him playing with good players (sorry Raptors) and make sure he's healthy. Seems like a prudent business move to me.
        Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
          I'll play the devil's advocate for a sec here and say, an injury can affect that value as well. If we can't trade him, then I'm hoping he remains healthy this summer. In years past Jose's international play has had an affect on his regular season stamina and some felt had also led to injuries as well. As he gets older, he stands a greater chance in hurting himself.
          I think this is a more likely scenario than the games increasing his value. The last Olympics saw him come back healthy, but he looked worn down by early mid-season...So fingers crossed they get eliminated early, but its due to a Pau/Marc slump and Jose looks stellar. Of course those are perfect world scenarios but a guy can dream!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Calderon would be expensive but the 76ers do need a backup PG.... unless you count Royal Ivey (which I don't! lol).

Holiday can play some 2-guard.

The main thing though is he is an expiring contract.

It seems that all of Philly's moves are being geared towards having A LOT of flexibility for next summer. Trading AI frees up another $15.9M for next year.
            I still don't see it if Philly is a playoff team. That would be trading their best player, or 2nd best maybe if Holiday takes another step forward, for a backup PG. They clearly need a back PG, but not for Iggy. I think that only happens if their season is going down the crapper. Otherwise, I think they might look to fill that void differently. If I were them, I would pitch Thad Young+a pick to Minny for Luke Ridnour and Derrick Williams, or something like that

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I still don't see it if Philly is a playoff team. That would be trading their best player, or 2nd best maybe if Holiday takes another step forward, for a backup PG. They clearly need a back PG, but not for Iggy. I think that only happens if their season is going down the crapper. Otherwise, I think they might look to fill that void differently. If I were them, I would pitch Thad Young+a pick to Minny for Luke Ridnour and Derrick Williams, or something like that
              It all depends how they see AI with the team and their plans beyond this coming season. If the plan is to make significant moves next summer, AI might hinder that.

Right now I do not think they are a better team than last year. They are weaker at backup PG and much weaker with their big guys. No one is close to replacing Brand - even an old Brand.

Maybe you are on to something with MIN though, via HoopsHype.com:

Jerry Zgoda: Kahn said they are thinking of one move with another team that he'd consider "significant." Twitter

Comment

I posted this a week or so ago in a different thread.. but if it's accurate, Minny wants no part of Iggy:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/W...e_target071712

The Andre Iguodala dream can just about die. The source said the Wolves have done a ton of homework on him, and the feedback didn't all register positively. Because of that, they are reluctant to give up assets and pay him $30 million over the next two years. His contract has a player option for 2013-14, which he is expected to opt into.

Comment

sorry.. re-read your post.. You were thinking Thad Young instead of Iggy. So ignore what I just wrote.

Comment

not sure if anyone has posted this video already but hows this for some added value for jose haha he made deron williams do the splits
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8yo0byGM4

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post

BTW: Spanish Team has more talent (hint hint to BC) than the roster of the Toronto Raptors.
                      Spain has more talent than a lot of NBA teams.

And after 7 years in the NBA I doubt 2 weeks of play will do anything to really change a GM's opinion of Jose other than to reassure them that he can still play. And if he does stick around until the trading deadline, with the change to backup minutes I'm more confident that he'll be able to stay healthy.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                        Spain has more talent than a lot of NBA teams.

And after 7 years in the NBA I doubt 2 weeks of play will do anything to really change a GM's opinion of Jose other than to reassure them that he can still play. And if he does stick around until the trading deadline, with the change to backup minutes I'm more confident that he'll be able to stay healthy.
                        True, but maybe now, GMs will be looking more closely at him.

Anyway, I think it'll all work out as long as Jose doesn't get seriously injured.
                        Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                          Good performance by Jose at the games can revive trade talks with various teams and I hope its Philly for Igoudala.
                          Sooner the better I think for everyone...move on.

Games should have an impact on his value to some degree and I hope its a positive one for the Raptors to take advantage of
                          I seriously doubt Jose's performance in international ball affects his trading value in the NBA. Jose has a long body of work in the NBA and GM have more than enough information to determine what is his value.

Teams are unlikely to make a major trade during the Olympics as many front office are in London, scouting the internationals. Yes, they probably talk potential trades but I suspect they will wait until they are back on American before executing it. Most media sent their sports reporters to the Olympics and it would be hard to generate interest in the new acquisition through the media if the regular reporters cannot attend the press conference.

I'd rather Jose stays with the Raptors as I am not a fan of John Lucas III and I saw how well a team performed with a shitty backup point guard after my Cavaliers traded Ramon Sessions and picked up crap from the development league.

No thanks.

Comment

Spain - China has just started:

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/2/98/v-429881.html

Comment

Jose and Pau are killing it this game is getting off to a good start really enjoying the intensity of spain
                              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

china isn't looking too shabby either. Yi is playing really good so far very active on offence. he just went on a 6-0 run by himself
                                Last edited by Ambidextrious; Sun Jul 29, 2012, 12:37 PM.
                                We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Working...
                                X