This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Thanks for the answers; I got a followup question about this one.

I meant the following: after each season every team will have to drop about 5/6 players (I guess). Due to the cap of 35 years for 15 players and allowing re-signing of 2 players each season a team can 'only' have a core off about 9 players (e.g. 2 signed for 1 year, 2 for 2, 2 for 3, 2 for 4, 1 for 5 makes 25, 10 under the cap for 6 players and manouvring room during the season).

That means every year, with a 16-team league, about 90 players will be free-agent after the season (or at the start of the next?). That's a lot, and probably there will be quite a few players people are interested in.

What happens with these players, when can you pick them up in the next season? Are they simply free-agents and will I have to sleep at the door of the league to be there the exact moment the season starts and I can pick them up before anyone else does? How will this work?
    The cap is 30, isn't?

Here is a breakdown of the next 1.5 years in this league:
    • Live auction draft
    • Cap set
    • Free agency open
    • Cap set for free agent signings
    • Season starts
    • Trade deadline
    • Playoffs
    • Re-signings
    • Cut day
    • Draft lotto
    • Standard draft(non-snaking)
    • Free agency
    • Season starts

The event in red is where the cut players come up for grabs again. The only way they can be more than rentals is if you save cap space to extend them deals beyond 1 year. You can land there players on waivers first or then after they clear waivers without eating into your WW budget.

Comment

Hey if there is any room would I be able to get an invite?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        The cap is 30, isn't?

Here is a breakdown of the next 1.5 years in this league:
        • Live auction draft
        • Cap set
        • Free agency open
        • Season starts
        • Trade deadline
        • Playoffs
        • Re-signings
        • Cut day
        • Draft lotto
        • Standard draft(non-snaking)
        • Free agency
        • Season starts

The event in red is where the cut players come up for grabs again. The only way they can be more than rentals is if you save cap space to extend them deals beyond 1 year. You can land there players on waivers first or then after they clear waivers without eating into your WW budget.
        According to your first post the cap is 35?

Do I understand it correctly that we will have a draft for all non keepers including rookies? If not, I propose we make it so, because having all non-keepers as free agents when each year over 90 players hit free agency is too much in my opinion.

Comment

The original draft contains all players, but after that it is only rookies. The free agents go to the WW, where people can use their WW budget to bid on them. Generally speaking, people are only going to be cutting old, retired, injured or bad players, so I'm not too worried about how many players hit free-agency.

Comment

Kadazzle wrote: View Post
            The original draft contains all players, but after that it is only rookies. The free agents go to the WW, where people can use their WW budget to bid on them. Generally speaking, people are only going to be cutting old, retired, injured or bad players, so I'm not too worried about how many players hit free-agency.
            Considering a team can keep 'only' about 8/9 players, there will be a lot of players hitting free-agency; it absolutely will not just be old, injured or bad players, that's just not the case. Over 1/3 - 2/5 of all players will be dropped. It's hell of a lot and will be a big factor in deciding who wins or not.

Comment

According to your first post the cap is 35?

Do I understand it correctly that we will have a draft for all non keepers including rookies? If not, I propose we make it so, because having all non-keepers as free agents when each year over 90 players hit free agency is too much in my opinion.
              Ok, then 35 it is.

First year draft is an auction and everyone is in it. After that, as in next year, the draft will only be for rookies and it will not be an auction draft.

Considering a team can keep 'only' about 8/9 players, there will be a lot of players hitting free-agency; it absolutely will not just be old, injured or bad players, that's just not the case. Over 1/3 - 2/5 of all players will be dropped. It's hell of a lot and will be a big factor in deciding who wins or not.
              Explain this with mathematical proof and we'll either up the cap or up the number of re-signees you're allowed. I didn't see this scenario playing out when I made it 35. The key was to give owners tough decisions, to reward planning and skill. You shouldn't be able to easily hold your team together, it should take planning and strategy.

Comment

Explain this with mathematical proof and we'll either up the cap or up the number of re-signees you're allowed. I didn't see this scenario playing out when I made it 35. The key was to give owners tough decisions, to reward planning and skill. You shouldn't be able to easily hold your team together, it should take planning and strategy.
                I might be wrong about the 90; so I'll go with a more conservative estimate.

Suppose every team goes for an average capping strategy with signing 5 players for 1 year, 5 for 2 and 5 for 3 (30 total). Using some the other 5 years as well, won't change much as only signing someone for 4 years will lead to one less free agents in one of the next 3 years. Now I don't think most teams will use this way to spread the cap.

Nevertheless, even if all teams do this will lead to every team having to drop at least 3 players each year, about 50 players in total (and I expect teams will need to drop more because this won't be the average strategy).

Even with 50 players needing to be dropped I think this is way too much to just let it up to free-agency to sign these players.

An easy fix, in my opinion, is to do the following:
                - allow teams to sign free agents (as long as they stay under their cap) untill either the last day of the competition or untill they are eliminated,
                - after cut day make one big pool of the free agents and the rookies for the (non-snaking standard?) draft.

I don't think there is any harm in adding them to the draft pool, so I don't think this change has any negative effect.

By the way, I'm all for not making it easy to keep your team together or not getting to keep all your team together.

Comment

Draft lottery and tanking

Another question/point:

How does the draft lottery after each year work. I assume we don't just do it by finishing order. Because if we do, there will be some serious tanking going on by unsportive players like me (probably too honest).

Comment

Another question/point:

How does the draft lottery after each year work. I assume we don't just do it by finishing order. Because if we do, there will be some serious tanking going on by unsportive players like me (probably too honest).
                    It's fantasy sports, dude. What in the hell is the point of not setting your lineup to gain two spots or so? My goal if I'm eliminated from playoff contention has always been to at least take out the people that are in contention, it's only right. I think the commissioners will have to be on their job throughout the season to make sure we don't have any stiffs for managers.

Comment

Another question/point:

Had thought of this myself, and could only come up with some sort of Lottery for the teams that don't make the Playoffs; and then just Finishing Order for teams that do?

However; ultimately it will also only be for Rookies, and they don't generally have HUGE fantasy impacts.

Comment

I suggest a restricted free agent type deal for the free agents. A team must match the highest offer on a player to keep him.

Comment

I might be wrong about the 90; so I'll go with a more conservative estimate.

Suppose every team goes for an average capping strategy with signing 5 players for 1 year, 5 for 2 and 5 for 3 (30 total). Using some the other 5 years as well, won't change much as only signing someone for 4 years will lead to one less free agents in one of the next 3 years. Now I don't think most teams will use this way to spread the cap.

Nevertheless, even if all teams do this will lead to every team having to drop at least 3 players each year, about 50 players in total (and I expect teams will need to drop more because this won't be the average strategy).

Even with 50 players needing to be dropped I think this is way too much to just let it up to free-agency to sign these players.

An easy fix, in my opinion, is to do the following:
                          - allow teams to sign free agents (as long as they stay under their cap) untill either the last day of the competition or untill they are eliminated,
                          - after cut day make one big pool of the free agents and the rookies for the (non-snaking standard?) draft.

I don't think there is any harm in adding them to the draft pool, so I don't think this change has any negative effect.

By the way, I'm all for not making it easy to keep your team together or not getting to keep all your team together.
                          A cap of 45 would allow you to easily re-sign two guys per year while only having five player turnover/year if you play it correctly. I mean most NBA teams turn over that many guys per year.

How about we up the cap ten to 45 and we could say rookies drafted by you(starting next year's draft) don't count against your two player re-signings per year. What this would do is reward is building from within and it would also give you the flexibility to hold a team together easier. To make it too easy to keep everyone would make the league less interesting and do we really want to do that?

Also I think you're overrating the quality of the players hitting the wire. You're also underestimating the strategy that goes into winning private WW bids with a limited budget. I don't think we should add them to the draft pool because that's getting away from the dynasty concept. To have a WW free agency period adds extra complexity because it eats into your regular season WW budget. Do you go all out in WW free agency or do you play it conservative so you have budget left to win waived FA's when the season starts.

Another question/point:

I think the consultation rounds should help determine the lotto odds. As far as I know I think all teams are playing for something when the playoffs start, some just aren't playing for the Championship.

...Also consider the fact that we've tossed competitors in the past at times when they didn't play the league until the end. It hurts the competition after all...

alex_elstone wrote: View Post
                          I suggest a restricted free agent type deal for the free agents. A team must match the highest offer on a player to keep him.
                          Too complex, sorry. Maybe in the future if Yahoo expands it's capabilities.

Comment

*****Update*****

I changed the names of the conferences to something more fun. It makes more sense to me because most people are out east anyway:

His Airness Conference
                            • Matt52
                            • alex elstone
                            • drizz
                            • SKYWALKERS
                            • WJF
                            • Mack North
                            • joey_hesketh

Wilt Conference
                            • koncept
                            • Kadazzle
                            • LilRomeo
                            • Soft Euro (D)
                            • jbml
                            • Apollo

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

So we need one more person to balance the league. Then it gets locked. Have we missed anyone?

Comment

I changed the names of the conferences to something more fun. It makes more sense to me because most people are out east anyway:

His Airness Conference
                              • Matt52
                              • alex elstone
                              • drizz
                              • SKYWALKERS
                              • WJF
                              • Mack North
                              • joey_hesketh

Wilt Conference
                              • koncept
                              • Kadazzle
                              • LilRomeo
                              • Soft Euro (D)
                              • jbml
                              • Apollo

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

So we need one more person to balance the league. Then it gets locked. Have we missed anyone?
                              Say what?!?!?!

His Airness Conference is STACKED!

Comment

Wilt conference is gonna crush all you airness punks!

Comment

Working...
                                X