Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early look at the ROY chances for the Raptors rookies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'd love to see a Raptor be considered for ROY.. but the NBA is going to be pumping "the brow" hard core. Davis is going to be their new poster child and as such they will do everything to market the kid and turn him into the next best thing (deservedly or not).

That marketing power will be hard to over come for any of the other rooks. I think it can be done if Davis ends up being mediocre, but the fact that he was already on the USA squad has already given him a huge head start.
    This is the key .. he will really have to play bad not to win it. The marketing machine will be all over his intangibles, even if his stats are ok. Plus, he will likely get the most minutes of any rook out there .. so that helps a lot. JV's biggest problem (in general and in getting ROY votes) is that he wont see enough minutes due to foul trouble...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Don't worry, Chuck Swirsky will still vote for Bargnani...
      time to let that go .. especially when AB would have finished 2nd in the voting easily even if Chuck had not voted him in at all ..

Comment

I think it's a stretch for Lillard or JV to get ROY. Typically it goes to the scorers, and unless JV can does some crazy things defensively/on the boards or Lillard dishes out some crazy assists, they ain't gonna win it. I see JV putting up numbers around the 6/7 range. Anthony Davis and Beal are my best bets, I can see Beal scoring 14+ with the touches he's sure to get, and Davis has the hype and the free-reign to let his talent loose (I can see the voters weighing his defensive contributions more than the average pick because of his hype towards ROY). Though I am afraid of Davis' size (only Howard, Bogut and Pekovic recently provided their teams good value in their first season, and they're all big boys) and how he and Ryan Anderson fit together, I believe Davis will get enough looks on the fast break, alley-oops, and putbacks to give him enough PPG to give him a good shot for ROY. Harrison Barnes might not even start, and if he does, he may not get many touches as the #1 and #2 scoring options are cemented in for GS. MKG and Thomas Robinson are odd-balls, they could surprise, but I believe they're more energy players who won't put up first-year numbers (though I like Robinson's future prospects playing alongside Cousins).

Comment

Kadazzle wrote: View Post
          I think it's a stretch for Lillard or JV to get ROY. Typically it goes to the scorers, and unless JV can does some crazy things defensively/on the boards or Lillard dishes out some crazy assists, they ain't gonna win it. I see JV putting up numbers around the 6/7 range. Anthony Davis and Beal are my best bets, I can see Beal scoring 14+ with the touches he's sure to get, and Davis has the hype and the free-reign to let his talent loose (I can see the voters weighing his defensive contributions more than the average pick because of his hype towards ROY). Though I am afraid of Davis' size (only Howard, Bogut and Pekovic recently provided their teams good value in their first season, and they're all big boys) and how he and Ryan Anderson fit together, I believe Davis will get enough looks on the fast break, alley-oops, and putbacks to give him enough PPG to give him a good shot for ROY. Harrison Barnes might not even start, and if he does, he may not get many touches as the #1 and #2 scoring options are cemented in for GS. MKG and Thomas Robinson are odd-balls, they could surprise, but I believe they're more energy players who won't put up first-year numbers (though I like Robinson's future prospects playing alongside Cousins).
          Pekovic is a NBA sophmore, he just exploded in his second season a la Jeremy Lin. And Lillard is a big time scorer so I see him leading the rookies in PPG

Comment

My top 5, in order:

Brad Beal
            Brow
            JV
            TRob
            Lillard
            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Did paul gosol win ROY ?

Comment

Father rev wrote: View Post
                Did paul gosol win ROY ?
                Yes, in 2001 where he averaged 17 pts, 9 rebs and 2 blks, while shooting 52%. I can't see Jonas putting up those kind of numbers.

In all honesty, I'll be happier if Jonas makes the all-rookie team, which is voted by people who actually know basketball (i.e. NBA coaches).

The ROY is voted by sportswriters...

Comment

Beal is going to be better than Wall and is going to be ROY

Comment

Just a though - Jonas is a project, albeit a very promising one, who will likely take the entirety of his rookie contract to show the type of player he can be. If he is as good as Gortat at the end of his rookie scale (approx 24y/o) we should be praising the pick.
                    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
                      Just a though - Jonas is a project, albeit a very promising one, who will likely take the entirety of his rookie contract to show the type of player he can be...
                      Who knows? But JV looks hungry and sounds like he is smart. I think he has a real desire to excel. Most of the things that could hold back him being a very high caliber player are learnable/trainable. He will increase in size and strength by simply working out and eating right. It just so happens that the Raps have one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the world. He already has very good fundamentals with his shot. He needs to work on his post up game and making sure he can use either hand with authority. The fouling out early is eminently correctable.

I don't believe we need to wait 4 years for this kid.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        Who knows? But JV looks hungry and sounds like he is smart. I think he has a real desire to excel. Most of the things that could hold back him being a very high caliber player are learnable/trainable. He will increase in size and strength by simply working out and eating right. It just so happens that the Raps have one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the world. He already has very good fundamentals with his shot. He needs to work on his post up game and making sure he can use either hand with authority. The fouling out early is eminently correctable.

I don't believe we need to wait 4 years for this kid.
                        We've already waited 1 year, and I don't think 3 more is unreasonable. When you look at past history of raw big men being drafted, that's about how long the learning curve is. JV is going to take 2-3 NBA years to develop, which is why all this playoffs and ROY talk sounds crazy to me.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

"ROY talk sounds crazy to me."

The kid is a consensus #2 player if in this year's draft.

I don't think its crazy to think he'll be considered!
                          Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
                            "ROY talk sounds crazy to me."

The kid is a consensus #2 player if in this year's draft.

I don't think its crazy to think he'll be considered!
                            I agree, if anything, are we also expecting Anthony Davis to average 20/10 in his first year? My little brother could probably defend him in the post.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Hopefully there is a chance...Barnes, Lillard and Davis are my finalists as they are going to be key offensive contributors from game one. I'm a big fan of Lillard, so he is my early favourite.

Comment

Gonna go with Davis or Barnes. Davis is just really good and will impact the game right away cause he's going to play a ton and Barnes is going to be counted on to score, especially when curry and whatshisface (the aussie) inevitably go down for the season.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X