Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early look at the ROY chances for the Raptors rookies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'd love to see a Raptor be considered for ROY.. but the NBA is going to be pumping "the brow" hard core. Davis is going to be their new poster child and as such they will do everything to market the kid and turn him into the next best thing (deservedly or not).

That marketing power will be hard to over come for any of the other rooks. I think it can be done if Davis ends up being mediocre, but the fact that he was already on the USA squad has already given him a huge head start.
    I'd agree that Davis has a huge start, but it's not like Jonas is being ignored. Obviously I read more Raptor related news than other teams so my perspective is probably a bit skewed, but every article I've read about the raps mentions something along the lines of "If he was drafted this year he would be the consensus number 2 pick" I've read this line multiple times for different guys (including ESPN guys) so he is on their radar, and they are going to be watching him. YES the Brow has an advantage but I think that JV has an advantage over everyone else.

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    MKG - Already a leader in the Charlotte locker room. Will start and get all the touches he can handle. The ROY award always seems to come down to stats, so this may hurt MKG a bit as he seems to be good across the board, but not great at any one particular stat.
    Not that I'm disagreeing with you but I haven't heard/read anything to this effect. Any chance you remember where you heard/read this? Also absolutely no love for JV as ROY?

Letter N wrote: View Post
    Early Vegas Lines

Anthony Davis (NO) 6/5
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (CHA) 7/1
    Bradley Beal (WAS) 19/2
    Harrison Barnes (GSW) 19/2
    Thomas Robinson (SAC) 19/2
    Jonas Valanciunas (TOR) 10/1
    Dion Waiters (CLE) 20/1
    John Henson (MIL) 25/1
    Kendall Marshall (PHO) 25/1
    Marquis Teague (CHI) 25/1
    Royce White (HOU) 25/1
    Andre Drummond (DET) 30/1
    Austin Rivers (NO) 30/1
    Damian Lillard (POR) 30/1
    Jeremy Lamb (HOU) 30/1
    Jared Sullinger (BOS) 30/1
    Maurice Harkless (PHI) 30/1
    Tyler Zeller (CLE) 30/1
    Terrence Ross (TOR) 35/1
    Donatas Motiejunas (HOU) 40/1
    Andrew Nicholson (ORL) 40/1
    John Jenkins (ATL) 40/1
    Meyers Leonard (POR) 40/1
    So Vegas his him ranked 6th? I'm okay with those odds.
    Year Player Team
    2010-11 Blake Griffin L.A. Clippers
    2009-10 Tyreke Evans Sacramento
    2008-09 Derrick Rose Chicago
    2007-08 Kevin Durant Seattle
    2006-07 Brandon Roy Portland
    2005-06 Chris Paul New Orleans/Oklahoma City
    2004-05 Emeka Okafor Charlotte
    2003-04 LeBron James Cleveland
    2002-03 Amare Stoudemire Phoenix
    2001-02 Pau Gasol Memphis
    2000-01 Mike Miller Orlando
    1999-00 Elton Brand and Steve Francis Chicago and Houston
    1998-99 Vince Carter Toronto
    1997-98 Tim Duncan San Antonio
    1996-97 Allen Iverson Philadelphia
    1995-96 Damon Stoudamire Toronto
    1994-95 Grant Hill and Jason Kidd Detroit and Dallas
    1993-94 Chris Webber Golden State
    1992-93 Shaquille O'Neal Orlando
    1991-92 Larry Johnson Charlotte
    1990-91 Derrick Coleman New Jersey
    1989-90 David Robinson San Antonio
    1988-89 Mitch Richmond Golden State
    1987-88 Mark Jackson New York
    1986-87 Chuck Person Indiana
    1985-86 Patrick Ewing New York
    1984-85 Michael Jordan Chicago
    1983-84 Ralph Sampson Houston
    Source: NBA.COM

That's the list of the players who won ROY since I was born, and that I remember watching play. (Except for Ralph Sampson and Chuck Person).

If you count all SF as Guards (like Kevin Durant), I get a 17 to 10 split for in favour of Guards. But I don't think the list of past winners precludes the Brow or JV from winning.

Having not been able to watch the NCAA tourney it's too difficult for me to make predictions, but I will say that JV will be in top 3 consideration, partly because after Davis, he's going to get the most hype.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      I agree, if anything, are we also expecting Anthony Davis to average 20/10 in his first year? My little brother could probably defend him in the post.
      I really hope he manages to fill up like this until his 4th/5th season, so he could dominate.

Comment

Training camps are more than 1 month away and people are already complaining that JV is not getting his fair share of consideration for ROY.

Wow, just wow!

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
          I really hope he manages to fill up like this until his 4th/5th season, so he could dominate.

IS THAT ACTUALLY JV? Not photo-shopped? If not, oh man..
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

IS THAT ACTUALLY JV? Not photo-shopped? If not, oh man..
            Nah man, let's just hope he fills up!

Comment

Some more eye-candy

Comment

Nah man, let's just hope he fills up!

Some more eye-candy

*sigh* It was good while it lasted.

Comment

He may not get to here but he will get stronger! He's already added some muscle from his U17 days - I think I've seen him listed at 250 recently.

The Raps strength and conditioning guy (McKechnie) is probably the best in the NBA.
                  Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
                    He may not get to here but he will get stronger! He's already added some muscle from his U17 days - I think I've seen him listed at 250 recently.

The Raps strength and conditioning guy (McKechnie) is probably the best in the NBA.
                    McKechnie was recently with LA before coming with us. LA has had some of the best staff in the recent decade.

Comment

Why doesn't anyone like MKG to win? If he plays 75 + games this year, the fact that he is on the bobcats and the way he plays his position, he could pile on the stats.

Comment

BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
                        "ROY talk sounds crazy to me."

The kid is a consensus #2 player if in this year's draft.

I don't think its crazy to think he'll be considered!
                        Draft position means nothing for ROY talk. Some players are just ready to go and others aren't. JV may have a better career than some of the guys drafted below him, but he won't have a better first season. Guys like Beal, Lillard, Waiters, Davis, Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist all have a better chance of having a better rookie season than JV. Most big men (European ones notwithstanding) take longer to develop.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          Draft position means nothing for ROY talk. Some players are just ready to go and others aren't. JV may have a better career than some of the guys drafted below him, but he won't have a better first season. Guys like Beal, Lillard, Waiters, Davis, Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist all have a better chance of having a better rookie season than JV. Most big men (European ones notwithstanding) take longer to develop.
                          I agree, I really don't think either one of the Raptors rookies will be in the ROY discussion. JV really doesn't seem like he's going to come in and put up big numbers especially cause of how raw he is offensively and his lack of post game. He gets a lot of his points off alley-oops and tip ins. He's the consensus #2 player because of potential, not because he's expected to make an immediate impact in my opinion. And Terrence Ross probably won't get the required minutes to be in the ROY race.

Davis, Lillard, Beal, and Kidd-Gilchrist have the best chance at it.

Comment

Totally agree. It will be nearly impossible for JV or Ross to get enough playing time and have significant enough impact to compare with what some of those players will accomplish this season. We all know that scoring tends to be given preference for ROY voting most of the time and all those players are going to be spoon-fed playing time and opportunity to score, especially Davis, Beal, MKG and Barnes.

Robinson could be a darkhorse if Sacramento is an improved team and he meshes well with Cousins, to form a dominant front court at both ends of the court.

However, I don't think any player will have the opportunity, let alone be showcased, the way Davis will. I think the ROY is his to lose.

Comment

I agree, if anything, are we also expecting Anthony Davis to average 20/10 in his first year? My little brother could probably defend him in the post.
                              I'd expect it. Is your little brother in the NBA? Blake Griffin averaged 23/12 in his first full year in the NBA and didn't have nearly as high expectations going into his first season as Anthony Davis does. I'd be surprised if Davis averages less than 15/10 this season. On the other hand I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Valanciunas averages that in his 2nd year in the NBA.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

I'd expect it. Is your little brother in the NBA? Blake Griffin averaged 23/12 in his first full year in the NBA and didn't have nearly as high expectations going into his first season as Anthony Davis does. I'd be surprised if Davis averages less than 15/10 this season. On the other hand I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Valanciunas averages that in his 2nd year in the NBA.
                                Blake did have some pretty high expectations though, but I doubt anthony davis' stats will be anything close to Griffin's rookie year.

Comment

Working...
                                X