No announcement yet.

The Raptor that will most surprise you this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to go with Ross. Davis was a close second, but it will be hard to surprise when he has to fight Amir & Gray for playing time at 2 backup positions.

I think Ross has been lost in the roster shuffle a little this offseason, being overshadowed by additions of Lowry, Fields and Valanciunas. Assuming DeRozan & Fields claim the starting wing spots, I think Ross could surprise by becoming the 6th man scorer off the bench, especially when playing with a great distributer (Calderon) and a bunch of bangers who will clog the paint (Gray, Amir, Davis and Kleiza). I think Ross will be asked to fulfill Barbosa's role from last season, both by penetrating and nailing open outside looks. I really hope he surprises, for 2 reasons: first, if he doesn't surprise he'll likely disappoint, which will cause all sorts of issues since he was drafted with the #8 pick; second, if he does suprise (and Fields returns to form), he could make DeRozan expendable, to be used as trade bait at the deadline (and to avoid his big payday in favor of a more proven player).

Valanciunas - I think we know what we'll get and what he'll become, after a steep learning curve and likely lots of foul trouble
    Fields - I think a return to the form of his rookie year, becoming a steady, low-flair player, similar to what Anthony Parker was
    Kleiza - I think he'll still be streaky, but hopefully being healthy will just increase his consistency

Comment

I think DeMar will surprise everyone this year. The pressure is on him now that Ross is there and pushing for playing time as well as at practice. Also having a younger and more relatable players around him like Lowry, Ross, Fields and Acy might bring some joy back to playing basketball. He just didn't seem very happy to me last season.

Also think the bench mob is going to turn some heads with Calderon quarterbacking them. LK should benefit from playing with someone whom knows how to play the game and Ed should benefit greatly from getting spoon fed under the rim as well. Ditto Amir.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        I think DeMar will surprise everyone this year. The pressure is on him now that Ross is there and pushing for playing time as well as at practice. Also having a younger and more relatable players around him like Lowry, Ross, Fields and Acy might bring some joy back to playing basketball. He just didn't seem very happy to me last season.

Also think the bench mob is going to turn some heads with Calderon quarterbacking them. LK should benefit from playing with someone whom knows how to play the game and Ed should benefit greatly from getting spoon fed under the rim as well. Ditto Amir.
        I agree, I'm really excited about our bench especially with Jose leading them now. That should be able to bring the best out of Ed, Amir, and Kleiza. And now we should expect to see twice as many lobs from Jose to Amir.

Comment

Valanciunas reminds me of the great rafael araujo.... So unill we play the chicago bulls thats how im gonna view him as...

I seen KLEIZA played the best game in a Raptors uniform when he first played Denver... Still wondering if he is a trick or treat.

QUINCY ACE is my pick.. However i wonder if a dog house awaits him or will his leash be let loose...

Comment

The funny thing about this question is that almost every member of the team would be considered a "sleeper" if they have an outstanding year. I'm going with Fields since a nephew from NY doesn't think he can live up to his promising rookie year.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post

I'm not entirely sold on DeRozan, especially expecting him to be the biggest surprise, only because of the expectations most people have had for him. A breakout year for DeRozan will still just meet expectations for most fans... I think it would take an appearance in the all-star game to be considered a big surprise.

As for your assessment of the Raps 2nd unit, I agree that it could very well be the team's greatest advantage. It is so skilled and well-rounded, that it reminds me of the 2nd unit back in the 2006-07 season. That year I just hoped that the starters (Ford, Parker, Garbo, Bosh & Rasho) kept it close, so that the 2nd unit (Calderon, Mo-P, Graham, Hump & Bargnani) could build a lead playing against the opposition's inferior 2nd unit. The 2nd unit in 2007-08, led by Calderon, Delfino & Bargnani was also an advantage, until injuries to Garbo/Ford derailed the season. I could see this year's 2nd unit being a huge advantage for the Raps, with Calderon, Ross, Kleiza, Davis, Amir and Gray all contributing. Hmmm seems like Calderon is the constant... way above-average backup (due to personal skills and his ability to bring out the best of the players on the court with him), but below-average (due to poor defense) starter.
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Aug 21, 2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I'm not entirely sold on DeRozan, especially expecting him to be the biggest surprise, only because of the expectations most people have had for him. A breakout year for DeRozan will still just meet expectations for most fans... I think it would take an appearance in the all-star game to be considered a big surprise.

As for your assessment of the Raps 2nd unit, I agree that it could very well be the team's greatest advantage. It is so skilled and well-rounded, that it reminds me of the 2nd unit back in the 2006-07 season. That year I just hoped that the starters (Ford, Parker, Garbo, Bosh & Rasho) kept it close, so that the 2nd unit (Calderon, Mo-P, Graham, Hump & Bargnani) could build a lead playing against the opposition's inferior 2nd unit. The 2nd unit in 2007-08, led by Calderon, Delfino & Bargnani was also an advantage, until injuries to Garbo/Ford derailed the season. I could see this year's 2nd unit being a huge advantage for the Raps, with Calderon, Ross, Kleiza, Davis, Amir and Gray all contributing. Hmmm seems like Calderon is the constant... way above-average backup (due to personal skills and his ability to bring out the best of the players on the court with him), but below-average (due to poor defense) starter.
                I'm hoping that Lowry can have an affect on DeMar similar to KG on the Celtic's team when he arrived. They all turned into jerks bascially, but they had an "us against the world" or gang mentality and guys like Perkins, and Rondo all started playing at a higher level because of that comradery they shared with KG and knowing he had their backs. It elevaled their games which I can see happening with Lowry's presence along with being surrounded by players DeMar would have more in common with (T. Ross, Fields, Acy). As mentioned in my earlier post I felt like he wasn't having very much fun on the team last season. I expect Lowry to sort of galvanise the roster and DeMar to be one of the guys to most benefit from it.

Comment

If it's someone you are 'expecting' to surprise you ... are they really surprising you?
                  The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                    If it's someone you are 'expecting' to surprise you ... are they really surprising you?
                    Your philosophical thinking is not wanted here.

Logic is always the first thing to shut down the party. Party Pooper!!

Comment

haha..moving on

I have to go with Ross. We don't know anything about him and were disappointed when he was first picked. I can tell you from what I've seen he will be more suitable to contribute than DD because of his skill set. He can hit open 3's all day and get in the passing lanes. if he does that, he will be the surprise ROOKIE of the year let alone a surprise on our team.

If I were to go with a surprise in a negative context it would have to be Amir. I think this year we are going to see an Ed Davis that can eclipse him in terms of his potential and and Amir that will not be able to catch him. With all of the injuries and a log jam at that position, I just don't see Amir being able to hold his spot.

Comment

If JV does well it wouldn't be a surprise 'cause it's expected from him. If AB get's his 20-6, same thing. Same with Demar(15-4).

Ross is expected to be a pretty good al-round rookie. I hope and predict that he'll surprise us and turn out to be an extra-ordinary player.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I keep thinking back to the Raptors stats guy's comments about Ross...that he was way ahead of anyone else in the draft. Stat's aren't everything, but combine that with the super positive interview thread with the quotes from his college coach. and Ross could emerge as one of the top two guys on the second unit.

Comment

But I would like to think that we see Kleiza rear up and kick some opponents butts. I predict he will be the number one guy on the second unit. And could be the number four scorer on the team.

Comment

I never said 'expecting' so yeah.

In fact I never mention the word 'expecting'. I'm just 'hoping' to be surprised.

Like when I show up at your house...you'll be surprised, non? At least I 'hope' you will (because I'm bringing beer and chips!)
                              i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

I hope the dance pack surprises me and does a strip show during halftime at a game i'm at

Comment

Working...
                                X