Tor - Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tor - Houston

This trade may seem really weird since we just traded with houston, but I still think it makes sense for both teams.

Please note that I do not want to see Calderon traded, but it appears more and more likely that he will be.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6m24obp

Why?

Toronto: We swap an expiring contract for another expiring contract. We give up Calderon but we receive a veteran SG. Imo, Martin is exactly the player I expect Ross to become. Having him as a mentor for one year (at least potential to resign him) for both Ross and DD (and to a lesser extent Fields) would be very beneficial.
    Also, it may help Lowry transition better with a former teamate.

Houston: They need a Back-up point guard, and they need more veteran mentors, especially for unproven players, *Cough* Lin *Cough*.

There are no long term penalties for either teams as both are expiring contracts. We are essentially swapping veterans to a team that needs their experience more.

Meh. It's not a horrible trade, so I don't oppose it, but I just don't really see that big of an upside to it. Although I can see Houston being hesitant in doing this trade. You're right when you say that they have problem with a lack veteran players/mentors in the PG department. They have no veteran mentor to Lin, who is sorta unproven. But if they do this trade, they just transfer the same problem from PG to SG. They would have no veteran mentor to Lamb, who is also unproven in the NBA (Summer League doesn't mean anything). Like you said, you want Martin to be a mentor to Ross, but Houston wants the exact same thing. They want Martin to be a mentor to Lamb, so I don't think this trade will happen for these reasons. Also I don't personally like having Martin on the team as a SG. We already have SGs in Demar and Ross. He's just gonna suck up minutes from Ross' rookie season which will only set him back despite the mentorship from Martin. The only way this can happen well is if you expect Demar to play the SF spot which I don't think he's "ready" for, but this isn't too bad of a trade...
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Wed Aug 29, 2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

No thank you.

This would leave us with John Lucas III as our primary and only backup point guard. I am OK with John Lucas as an emergency point guard but I cringe at the idea of him being the primary backup.

Comment

Not bad, but I'd prefer the depth at PG rather than at SG. Demar goes down? We've got Fields and Ross to soak up the minutes and the team really doesn't suffer. Trade away Calderon and Lowry goes down? Suddenly JL3 is leading our teams offence? Who backs him up?
        No thanks. I think Calderon has a lot of value on our team.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          No thank you.

This would leave us with John Lucas III as our primary and only backup point guard. I am OK with John Lucas as an emergency point guard but I cringe at the idea of him being the primary backup.
          * What he said

Comment

As much as I like Kevin Martin, he will logjam minutes for the growth of Terrence Ross so no, unless we really want to make a playoff push this year and pass the first round.

Comment

posted one similar to this a while back...

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...o-Houston-Deal
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                posted one similar to this a while back...

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...o-Houston-Deal
                Haha, thought I saw the trade somewhere and thats where I got the idea.
                When people were commenting it seemed as if they were reluctant to trade DD, and I figured that Caldy would make a much better trade partner with houston.

Sorry did not mean to steal your idea.

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post
                  Haha, thought I saw the trade somewhere and thats where I got the idea.
                  When people were commenting it seemed as if they were reluctant to trade DD, and I figured that Caldy would make a much better trade partner with houston.

Sorry did not mean to steal your idea.
                  nah man I didn't post that to mean you were stealing anything
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Not related to the trade, but for all of you clamoring for a superstar/Gay/whatever you guys are talking about now, here's a wise tweet from Houston GM Daryl Morey:

Daryl Morey

@dmorey
                    I have been meaning to go to the superstar store, tx for the reminder MT @AQS18: @dmorey Stop wasting time! Go get us a superstar!
                    Last edited by theycallmeZZ; Wed Sep 5, 2012, 08:48 AM.
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Working...
                    X