Who is the Raptor's alpha dog ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    sad thing is, i dont even recall the raptors having any game in recent past that came down the wire. If you actually google "raptors game winners" all you'll get are game winners AGAINST the raptors, hahaha.
    theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    Isn't that a testament to how close the games were?
    Yeah I agree. Many of the raptor games were close and competitive. The reason why we lost so many close games, was our lack of experience, and not being able to execute offensively down the stretch.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
      sad thing is, i dont even recall the raptors having any game in recent past that came down the wire. If you actually google "raptors game winners" all you'll get are game winners AGAINST the raptors, hahaha.
      The last game winner I remember is Bosh's shot against the Hawks lol

Comment

i think that if bargs can come through and show the emotion he had for those magical games that we all fixate on, he and lowry could make a good tandem. i think that the rest of the team can probably look to lowry easier because he is coming in with all this toughness hype but i believe if they see their long time teammate known for laziness really commit to "mans game" basketball and play hard all the time they will appreciate/respect it more. i also say the same for demar if he would start throwing down on people and play hard d.

when bargs went down with that second hamstring pull you saw how pissed he was. 5 years and that was more emotion then his draft night. the rest of the team knew it, he wanted to be there battling with them.

i don't think you can just walk in and be "the man", this isn't prison. lowry will have to prove himself during training camp and preseason and the first months of the year.

right now i would have to agree that casey is alpha dog and is looking for a leader who the others respect and listen to, not neccesarily the same guy.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          I hope everyone remembers that Dwane Casey is trying to make him the closer. Time and time again, Dwane Casey said to the press, that Derozan will be their option in the final seconds.

I'm a little excited about that. As much as I really love Lowry being that guy, Derozan could develop into a really good closer. Especially if his shooting ability and ball-handling has actually improved as much as shown, it could work.

for this i'm guessing mostly it's a bargs 3 or long 2. i think that is a booster speech to motivate demar. 7 footer with the ball 25 feet away who can dribble to the hoop or pull up and take an incredibly difficult shot to contest is a pretty strong finishing move.

Comment

Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
            Just finished reading Shaq's book and about all the great players he played with. Every successful team needs one alpha dog to lead the team. Does the Raptor's have that player and if so who it would it be ?
            I think using the term alpha dog for anyone on the Raptors is stretching it a bit. In my opinion being an alpha dog isn't the same thing as being a leader. Or to put it a better way, just being a leader doesn't make someone an alpha dog.

This may be a bit harsh, and I haven't read Shaq's book, but if he was talking about "great players" and "successful teams" then we shouldn't be trying too hard to apply it to the Raptors, not just yet anyway.

Is John Wall an alpha dog? Kyrie Irving? They're the best players on the team by far, but that doesn't make them one. D Rose, on the other had, is an alpha dog.

Shaq has played with other Hall of Fame talents in his career. I think a battle to be the alpha dog is usually restricted to elite level players. I mean, does it really matter if Kemba Walker or Gerald Henderson is the alpha dog in Charlotte? Wade Or Lebron? Sure that counts.

But hey, it's all subjective and that's just my take on it.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Alan Anderson, with his gratefulness.
              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I hope everyone remembers that Dwane Casey is trying to make him the closer. Time and time again, Dwane Casey said to the press, that Derozan will be their option in the final seconds.

I'm a little excited about that. As much as I really love Lowry being that guy, Derozan could develop into a really good closer. Especially if his shooting ability and ball-handling has actually improved as much as shown, it could work.

he also said there'd be no trades at deadline.

I think a grain of salt is needed with any public statement by BC or dc

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  he also said there'd be no trades at deadline.

I think a grain of salt is needed with any public statement by BC or dc
                  Possibly for us, but the players could use it as a motivation factor, or confidence. No matter how much we should think of it, from a player's standpoint, it's nice to know that you have earned respect and confidence from the coaches.

You don't usually just say "Hey, you are going to be our team's closer." In my opinion, if a coach is even mentioning of putting a player in that position, it's high praise.

I agree with taking in any public statement by DC, or BC like a grain of salt, but we shouldn't feel the need to set it aside.

Comment

Forget the Alpha Dog, I'd prefer the whole team played like a pack vicious wolves. Teams have to come to HATE playing here.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                      Forget the Alpha Dog, I'd prefer the whole team played like a pack vicious wolves. Teams have to come to HATE playing here.
                      +1. Lowry and Fields are two aggressive players. Valanciunas is a hard-worker, and will bother you in the paint. Bargnani is an offensive scoring threat, pick your poison type player. Derozan is... Well, Ross is coming off the bench

Comment

Lowry without question. He was the man on the Rockets last year until he got injured and then butted heads with coach McHale (an alpha himself). Now, I am not in favour of taking that attitude with the coach of a team but there must have been circumstances since one really doesnt lose his starting job because of injury. Everytime I saw Lowry play I sensed leadership and certain mannerisms of confidence that no one on the Raptors has including the stats to back it up.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Lowry without question. He was the man on the Rockets last year until he got injured and then butted heads with coach McHale (an alpha himself). Now, I am not in favour of taking that attitude with the coach of a team but there must have been circumstances since one really doesnt lose his starting job because of injury. Everytime I saw Lowry play I sensed leadership and certain mannerisms of confidence that no one on the Raptors has including the stats to back it up.
                          I think the coaching chemistry between Lowry and Casey will be great. Lowry actually knew Casey for awhile during his Memphis days, and both share the same interests on the court from what I've watched online.

Comment

I think the coaching chemistry between Lowry and Casey will be great. Lowry actually knew Casey for awhile during his Memphis days, and both share the same interests on the court from what I've watched online.
                            I think you are confusing Johnny Davis with Casey.

Davis was assistant coach in Memphis.

Casey and Davis had history together before Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I think you are confusing Johnny Davis with Casey.

Davis was assistant coach in Memphis.

Casey and Davis had history together before Toronto.
                              Oh sorry! I mean when Houston was hunting for a coach, Lowry expressed how he knew him because Casey was one of the options in Houston's hunt.

Comment

Oh sorry! I mean when Houston was hunting for a coach, Lowry expressed how he knew him because Casey was one of the options in Houston's hunt.
                                Oh, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X