Greatest NBA Player Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest NBA Player Ever?

No one can take anything away from Michael Jordan for his success on the court, but before you start flapping your gums, you need to read Wilt Chamberlains story. Go to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain

Even if you feel like skipping his early career, the stats on his Rookie season are astounding.

"In his first NBA season, Chamberlain averaged 37.6 points and 27 rebounds, convincingly breaking the previous regular-season records. He needed only 56 games to score 2,102, which broke the all-time regular season scoring record of Bob Pettit, who needed 72 games to score 2,101 points.[39] Chamberlain was named NBA MVP and Rookie of the Year that season, a feat matched only by fellow Hall-of-Famer Wes Unseld in the 1968–69 NBA season, and broke eight NBA records."

He broke 8 NBA records in his ROOKIE season. Read the whole story. then tell me about "who's the greatest."

And " Chamberlain's 4,029 regular-season points made him the only player to break the 4,000-point barrier;[2] the only other player to break the 3,000-point barrier is Michael Jordan, with 3,041 points in the 1986–87 NBA season."

Its always difficult to judge players in any sport over the ages. The quality of equipment, science and nutrition changes. The rules change.

Would Babe Ruth even be able to hit a Randy Johnson fast ball? Would Gary Player touch Tiger Woods (pre-sex scandal ofcourse)?

I don't think Wilt would have been on the same level had he played through the 90 to todays. Shaq or Dwight alone would eat him alive.

Comment

Wilt sat in the key longer than me on the toilet after a bad steak. Jordan is the GOAT.

Comment

jordan is the best ever

wilt is in argument for best center ever. shaq, hakeem, kareem, russel are all players in their prime that i would choose before wilt in todays game.

Comment

IMO Dumb, circular argument that doesn't belong in the Raptors section.
          TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Macc wrote: View Post
            Wilt sat in the key longer than me on the toilet after a bad steak. Jordan is the GOAT.
            I dunno about that. The dude could dunk from the FT line.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
              I don't think Wilt would have been on the same level had he played through the 90 to todays. Shaq or Dwight alone would eat him alive.
              D-howard would wet his pants going against Wilt.

Comment

Indeed Hotshot!...Wilt will thrive in our current uptempo game that consists of athletic, quick, mobile big men. He doesn't only rely on his athleticism and length but looks to have a consistent (ugly looking) shot and a good feel for the game. It's difficult to say how he'll do against Shaq or Hakeem but I think he can hold his own. Remember...back in the days there were enough fouls that would be considered a flagrant and he took it like a warrior. As the greatest player of all time...he's definitely top 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDzz...ayer_embedded#!

Comment

You cant just look at the stats and say because of that he's the greatest player ever that's just ignorant, Wilt was a great player, one of the pioneers of the game, but he wouldnt fair as well in the modern day NBA, but still he's one of the best players in NBA history

Comment

From what I read about Wilt, he seemed to care more about stats then about winning. Basically he was the Andray Blatche of the 60's (but with way more talent). I think Wilt needed a coach that could have knocked some sense in to him like Jordan got with Phil, and later Kobe with Phil. And because he never had that coach, and the sense that winning actually matters more than personal achievements I would never consider him as the GOAT.

Comment

One of the dudes that gets no consideration for being the GOAT is Kareem Abdul Jabbar, six time NBA champion, six time MVP, all time leading scorer and one of the most dominant players of all time. Im not saying hes the best, but KAJ is right up there

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
                        You cant just look at the stats and say because of that he's the greatest player ever that's just ignorant, Wilt was a great player, one of the pioneers of the game, but he wouldnt fair as well in the modern day NBA, but still he's one of the best players in NBA history
                        It is a little disingenuous to say "...he wouldn't fair as well in the modern day NBA" since in his playing days, there was virtuallyt no off-season training, teams didn't have dedicated strength coaches working with individual players, less attention was paid to nutrition etc. You only have to look at his size, agility, speed, passing ability, and rebound numbers (indicative of eye on the ball and great positioning) to know he would be a super star in today's NBA, given all of the training, scouting, etc. advantages of todays players.

Watching him play as a 300 pound 35 year old, still showing that level of speed, balance, court awareness and strength tells me pretty much all I need to know. There will never be an answer to "Who is the Greatest" question, but whenever that question is asked, Chamberlains name can fairly be considered.

Comment

jk1m wrote: View Post
                          It's difficult to say how he'll do against Shaq or Hakeem but I think he can hold his own.
                          As a guy in his 30's Wilt did just fine against Kareem who was in his early 20's when they played against each other. There is no reason not to think he would have done well against Hakeem as well.

Head to head stats:
                          http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/wilt-cha...stats-1401716/

(Just look at the amount of contact that is happening on underneath the basket, today it would have been a whistle every single time)
                          Last edited by Hotshot; Thu Sep 6, 2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

You gotta understand though, at the time there was no 3 in the key or 3 pt line. Why take jumpshots when you can just give the ball to a guy camping in the key for 24 seconds? It's a completely different game. There's no way Wilt would be the same if he played today. He'd be a dominant center but far from the greatest of all time.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                              You gotta understand though, at the time there was no 3 in the key or 3 pt line. Why take jumpshots when you can just give the ball to a guy camping in the key for 24 seconds? It's a completely different game. There's no way Wilt would be the same if he played today. He'd be a dominant center but far from the greatest of all time.
                              Faster paced game, more restrictions, athletic players.

But also, Wilt was for sure one of the most skilled/athletic big men to ever play the game. To each his own.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X