No announcement yet.

Greatest NBA Player Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilt didn't face the nightly competition that Jordan did. Wilt was before his time but what do you think Magic Johnson would have done back then? The man could play all five positions and started in the finals as a rookie at center.

My vote would be one of the MJ's.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      Faster paced game, more restrictions, athletic players.

But also, Wilt was for sure one of the most skilled/athletic big men to ever play the game. To each his own.
      We need to consider the eras they played in too because I'm pretty sure Shaq and The Dream would annihalte anything and almost everybody in that era as well. Shaq was a wrecking machine that could not be stopped even with three grown men hanging off him.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        We need to consider the eras they played in too because I'm pretty sure Shaq and The Dream would annihalte anything and almost everybody in that era as well. Shaq was a wrecking machine that could not be stopped even with three grown men hanging off him.
        young shaq was a grown fucking man. if i had to choose my starting center for the next ten years it would be shaq with a nod to robinson.

johnsons first year as starting center for the lakers shows how awesome he was because he then shifted to starting point guard. that is sick

Comment

Can't believe I got to the end of this thread and no one brought up Bill "Rings" Russell. I only truly watched Kareem as he was a bald old man as a kid. I have been lucky enough to have had raps/nbatv for 4 or 5 years and have watched a lot of hardwood classics games but it's hard to really get a feel for a players career when you can only watch a handful of their games. During the lockout they showed whole playoff series which was great. Still, the NBA game has changed so much, especially since the merger with the ABA. I mean how can you ever truly compare doctor j to anyone when he was on the decline athletically by the time the nets became an nba team?

All that being said, wilt put up insane numbers but was a bit of a prima donna from what ive read. Kareem won more on every level and gave the world the skyhook. Bill Russell, however, changed the game on an historic level. He defined the warrior mentality, was the most dominate leader arguably ever and radically changed the way the game is played at both ends of the floor with his defense.

Jordan is GOAT, IMO, but BR is a close second with Magic and Larry legend rounding out the top 4. After that it's a crap shoot.
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            young shaq was a grown fucking man. if i had to choose my starting center for the next ten years it would be shaq with a nod to robinson.

johnsons first year as starting center for the lakers shows how awesome he was because he then shifted to starting point guard. that is sick
            Robinson? For real? The admiral was a great player but 'Keem the dream was head and shoulders better.

Also magic never started at center except that one legendary playoff game. You might be confusing him with Ervin Johnson but Earvin "magic" Johnson was always a pg/forward and started at point his rookie year.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
              Robinson? For real? The admiral was a great player but 'Keem the dream was head and shoulders better.

Also magic never started at center except that one legendary playoff game. You might be confusing him with Ervin Johnson but Earvin "magic" Johnson was always a pg/forward and started at point his rookie year.
              the admiral was a beast and i would take him over the dream.

re-reading my post, we are misunderstanding each other as i used bad grammar. didn't mean to have it read as he started center the entire year. just in his first year, when he started at center for the lakers. it was amazing that a rookie could do that in the finals. compare that with our talk of whether bigV will be starting come opening night. (but magic had proved he could play during the course of the season)

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post

just went and did a stats check

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...david-robinson
                http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...akeem-olajuwon

with a couple titles each when jordan wasn't playing

Comment

the admiral was a beast and i would take him over the dream.

re-reading my post, we are misunderstanding each other as i used bad grammar. didn't mean to have it read as he started center the entire year. just in his first year, when he started at center for the lakers. it was amazing that a rookie could do that in the finals. compare that with our talk of whether bigV will be starting come opening night. (but magic had proved he could play during the course of the season)
                  LOL, I get it! Was like WTF? at first.

Magic earned that nickname, and not just for his reported prowess in the sack. Dude was incredible, makes me wish I'd been born 5 years earlier just to have been able to better appreciate what my 10 year old self took for granted.

As for DRob, I'm just not that big a fan. I really feel that he was Pippen to Timmys Jordan. That's not a slight because I think Pip is one of the best ever but he just couldn't carry Dreams jock IMO. Dream had so many moves in the post and out to mid, was crafty, athletic and extremely skilled. Dream was the best player in both championship years (and indeed through most of his career) and schooled Shaq like nobodies business. David wasnn't at that level at any point in his career. Like I said though, just was never a huge fan of Robinsons game.
                  Last edited by minks77; Tue Sep 11, 2012, 08:01 AM.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

just went and did a stats check

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...david-robinson
                    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...akeem-olajuwon

with a couple titles each when jordan wasn't playing
                    oh gawd, please don't let me get sucked into another argument about comparing individual stats...
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Since this has forwarded towards who I would want as a starting centre, I look at a loyal, team first player with all the on-court qualities a great big man should have.

Wilt is out of the picture, for he's been said to be a Prima Donna, Shaq is out as well. Just my opinions.

It's really hard to choose in any case, only being 16, I've watched only a handful games, which makes it hard for me to choose without seeing the full extent of the individual.

From what I have seen, and read, Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is probably my guy. Unguardable. Post-game is beyond many, unique individual. I mean, you've got some of today's best trying to get better at their post game with being mentored by "The Dream," it says something about one's individual skill and craft.

Like I said, I haven't seen much of Wilt, Russell, Robinson, Olajuwon, even Shaq in his prime for that matter! Just going by what I know and HAVE seen.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

You could do worse than "The Dream." That's for sure. Would have loved to see Sabonis in the NBA in his prime. Growing up, Russell was always my favourite player and he certainly frustrated Chamberlain whenever Wilt played the Celtics. But just watching you could see that Wilt had more physical gifts than Bill. And Bill always had a much better team around him. And better coaching.

Comment

7 years and 121 million in shaqs prime seems like the best way to go for me. i would take him over any other center in their prime.

i know what you mean reuben but greatest nba player ever is pretty much a one trick pony of a thread. i don't think anyone has a sane reason why it wouldn't be jordan and then all of us agreeing. skipping sg i will add the players i think best at each position

c-shaq
                          pf-the mailman
                          sf-james
                          sg-if not jordan i want to say klyde the glyde
                          pg-magic

pre-late magic and i am not very familiar with the players after that

Comment

I remember an interview with Wilt in the 80's when he answered that while he thought he was best player, he would pick Bill Russell ahead of himself if building a team. Wilt's rationale was that every player brings some positive, neutral, and negative elements to a team. Except for Bill Russell. Wilt was adamant that Russell brought no negatives and would have been the best starting block any franchise could desire.

It's funny too that when Bill Russell was asked which PG he would pick if I had to start a new franchise, he chose John Stockton over Magic, Isiah, and others while Stockton was still a relative unknown. His rationale was that Stockton did not bring any negatives.

Was Michael Jordan the best player ever? I am not even sure he was better than Shaq before Shaq turned into a clown. Michael Jordan was the best marketed player, that's for sure, and a player worthy of consideration when discussing the best five players of all time.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                              Michael Jordan was the best marketed player, that's for sure, and a player worthy of consideration when discussing the best five players of all time.
                              I am only saying this because I'm a big fan, but I really believe that Kobe Bryant will go down as one of the greatest players of all-time. No doubt the greatest player of this generation already.

Can I see him as a top 5 player? I can.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                                I remember an interview with Wilt in the 80's when he answered that while he thought he was best player, he would pick Bill Russell ahead of himself if building a team. Wilt's rationale was that every player brings some positive, neutral, and negative elements to a team. Except for Bill Russell. Wilt was adamant that Russell brought no negatives and would have been the best starting block any franchise could desire.

It's funny too that when Bill Russell was asked which PG he would pick if I had to start a new franchise, he chose John Stockton over Magic, Isiah, and others while Stockton was still a relative unknown. His rationale was that Stockton did not bring any negatives.

Was Michael Jordan the best player ever? I am not even sure he was better than Shaq before Shaq turned into a clown. Michael Jordan was the best marketed player, that's for sure, and a player worthy of consideration when discussing the best five players of all time.
                                doesn't need to be argued. lets make it a hypothetical...you have the first pick of the all nba draft, every single player to ever play in the nba is there. who would you choose? anyone here not taking jordan first overall?

Comment

Working...
                                X