No announcement yet.

Greatest NBA Player Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jordan was much better than Shaq, he could score from anywhere and rose to every challenge and was playing, at both ends, against much superior competition night in and night out than Shaq ever did. Shaq was probably the most physically gifted and dominant player at his position but Jordan Was on a whole other level. Even Shaq would say that. Plus he was so much more versatile and could hit FTs.

Top starting 5 and their back ups (in their prime and only guys I watched from 87 onwards)

Magic/JStocks
    Jordan/Kobe
    Bird/Pippen
    Timmy/Barkley
    Shaq/Dream

just hand me the rings.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      doesn't need to be argued. lets make it a hypothetical...you have the first pick of the all nba draft, every single player to ever play in the nba is there. who would you choose? anyone here not taking jordan first overall?
      Me, I would not take Jordan first nor second. Maybe third, maybe not.

Comment

Some interesting reads if you Google "who is the greatest NBA player ever."

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          Me, I would not take Jordan first nor second. Maybe third, maybe not.
          so say who you would choose. just come out and say who you think is the best player ever. we can say arguably forever.

Comment

. I can't believe how many people in this thread are saying Jordan isn't the greatest ever. No one could ever dominate the game like him. He had the most well rounded game ever. I don't think centers could be considered to be the greatest ever because their matchups are usually of a lower skillset than other positions.

Comment

. I can't believe how many people in this thread are saying Jordan isn't the greatest ever. No one could ever dominate the game like him. He had the most well rounded game ever. I don't think centers could be considered to be the greatest ever because their matchups are usually of a lower skillset than other positions. Sure players like shaq and wilt need to be mentioned among the greatest even top 10 but not 1st

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                . ...No one could ever dominate the game like him....
                Wilt averaged 50 pt's a game one season. He had 14 triple doubles in a row, one season. They changed the rules of the game, so that he wouldn't totally dominate every game he played in.

"...He also won 7 scoring, 9 field goal percentage, and 11 rebounding titles in addition to an assist title."

He had his jersey number retired by three different NBA franchises, the Warriors, the Lakers and the 76'ers.

"Chamberlain holds 71 NBA records, 62 by himself. Among his records are several that are considered unbreakable, such as averaging 22.9 rebounds for a career or 50.4 points per game in a season, scoring 100 points or 55 rebounds in a single game, scoring 65 or more points 15 times, 50 or more points 118 times. During Chamberlain's time, defensive statistics like blocks and steals had not been recorded yet. However, according to Jack Ramsay, "Harvey said he used to tell one of his statisticians to keep track of Wilt's blocks in big games...One night, they got up to 25".

Not saying Jordan wasn't the greatest ever, just saying it's not an open and shut case.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                  so say who you would choose. just come out and say who you think is the best player ever. we can say arguably forever.
                  I don't know whether I would pick Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell first overall. Michael Jordan would one of the players I would consider taking third overall.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    I don't know whether I would pick Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell first overall. Michael Jordan would one of the players I would consider taking third overall.
                    You gotta give some consideration to 11 championship rings. Bill was the only Celtic to be there for all of them, as I recall.

Comment

At the end of the day, I really do believe it's Jordan.

He had a presence around him. Whenever I watched a throwback game, my eye was always focused on MJ23. Always. I've watched a good number of throwback games to be able to take a crack on here.

He had some sort of, attention grabbing characteristic about him. MJ was one of the best perimeter defenders, a great scorer, was a great leader, built confidence in his teammates. He had EVERYTHING. Athletically he was supreme. Not to mention, arguably the greatest clutch player of all time. If not, he's top 3 with Kobe and Reggie.

The post game, the mid-ranged game, the penetration, the fancy dunks, the speed, strength, defense, etc, etc, etc.... There wasn't something he didn't have. You could say he wasn't a great outside shooter, but you knew you couldn't leave him open.

I mean, you don't earn the title of "Greatest Of All Time" for no reason..
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        Wilt averaged 50 pt's a game one season. He had 14 triple doubles in a row, one season. They changed the rules of the game, so that he wouldn't totally dominate every game he played in.

"...He also won 7 scoring, 9 field goal percentage, and 11 rebounding titles in addition to an assist title."

He had his jersey number retired by three different NBA franchises, the Warriors, the Lakers and the 76'ers.

"Chamberlain holds 71 NBA records, 62 by himself. Among his records are several that are considered unbreakable, such as averaging 22.9 rebounds for a career or 50.4 points per game in a season, scoring 100 points or 55 rebounds in a single game, scoring 65 or more points 15 times, 50 or more points 118 times. During Chamberlain's time, defensive statistics like blocks and steals had not been recorded yet. However, according to Jack Ramsay, "Harvey said he used to tell one of his statisticians to keep track of Wilt's blocks in big games...One night, they got up to 25".

Not saying Jordan wasn't the greatest ever, just saying it's not an open and shut case.
                        The rules were so much different back then. I've already made my case for his inflated points, with the whole no 3 second call or 3 point line. The blocks can be explained by the fact that goaltending was allowed back then. That's huge if goaltending was allowed now we'd see guys get just as many blocks. He rebounds are monstrous no arguement about that. If we're comparing the greatest ever, I just don't think wilt is the one to be comparing to. It was a big mans game back then, a more suitable arguement would be Kobe if he wins 1 or 2 more rings but even then I think it'd be jordan. Another good comparison would be Bill Russel but that's based solely on hardware alone.

Comment

One of MJ's greatest strenghts was his hangtime. He'd go up on a jumper with a defender in his grill and even though he took off first teh defender would almost always come down first giving Mike a clean look. He had great form in his upper body on the jumper too so he was always truly shooting it and not just throwing it up. Mj rarely put up prayers. He was like a swiss army knife of offensive tools but he worked hard to fill out every other aspect of his game and never settled for being just a scorer. He was a winner and knew that winning meant all aspects of the game.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

The rules were so much different back then. I've already made my case for his inflated points, with the whole no 3 second call or 3 point line. The blocks can be explained by the fact that goaltending was allowed back then....
                            Wilt didn't play in a vacuum. there were other players on the floor. Sure no 3 second rule, but that just means other guys were pushing, leaning and otherwise in there with you playing defence. Several references in this thread to how different the game was played back then. As has been mentioned, with today's rules there would be 2 or 3 fouls called on every basket.

As for goal-tending, if it was so easy, how come other players weren't recording his incredible block numbers? If it was easy for Wilt, it was also easy for everyone else...except that in professional sports, it's never easy when you have to compete against other players.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Wilt didn't play in a vacuum. there were other players on the floor. Sure no 3 second rule, but that just means other guys were pushing, leaning and otherwise in there with you playing defence. Several references in this thread to how different the game was played back then. As has been mentioned, with today's rules there would be 2 or 3 fouls called on every basket.

As for goal-tending, if it was so easy, how come other players weren't recording his incredible block numbers? If it was easy for Wilt, it was also easy for everyone else...except that in professional sports, it's never easy when you have to compete against other players.
                              Because wilt was great, one of the top 10 players of all time. Im just saying he shouldn't be in the conversation for first since his stats were so inflated. I'm not taking anything away from his greatness just think his stats were so high just because of the rules. I imagine in today's game his stats would be closer to 30/15/3, if he was a teams first option.

Comment

...I imagine in today's game his stats would be closer to 30/15/3, if he was a teams first option.
                                And that's why they have discussion boards. I think those might be close to his career stats (though low) but his prime years would have been significantly higher. The three second rule wouldn't have been that significant, because he had the strength and speed to refine his low post game. As well, he had a much better shot then, for instance, Shaq, and was almost as strong, in his prime, without the fat.

But hey, we can agree to disagree :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X