Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling down on the Raptors? Please tell me why.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling down on the Raptors? Please tell me why.

As the Raptors are currently constructed with players, coaches, and management could you please tell me why you are down on the Raptors if you feel that way. This is my biased perspective but I find many people argue against the optimistic view without providing any insightful or concrete reasons why the Raptors are not improving or making progress.

The standard reasons for pessimism that I am aware of include:
    • Colangelo is incompetent.
    • Historically the Raptors suck, why should things change now.
    • Toronto should not have an NBA team because no one wants to play in Toronto.
    • Toronto has no franchise talent or All-Star and that is the only way to win in the NBA.
    • Championships are the only thing that matter.

So, if you are of this persuasion, please tell me why the Raptors are not improving or making progress?

drafting terrence ross over jeremy lamb. for one.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
      Do you mean the Jeremy Lamb that Devoe Joseph outplayed in summer league, that Jeremy Lamb

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
        You've gotta be kidding me.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          As the Raptors are currently constructed with players, coaches, and management could you please tell me why you are down on the Raptors if you feel that way. This is my biased perspective but I find many people argue against the optimistic view without providing any insightful or concrete reasons why the Raptors are not improving or making progress.

The standard reasons for pessimism that I am aware of include:
          • Colangelo is incompetent.
          • Historically the Raptors suck, why should things change now.
          • Toronto should not have an NBA team because no one wants to play in Toronto.
          • Toronto has no franchise talent or All-Star and that is the only way to win in the NBA.
          • Championships are the only thing that matter.

So, if you are of this persuasion, please tell me why the Raptors are not improving or making progress?
          I could also see much impatience. They want results now, they want an all-star, they want recognition.
          If you want this, cheer for the Miami Heat, or the Los Angeles Lakers.

We are only a 17 year old team people. There are teams in the league who have as many rings, as we've been in the league...
          We are growing, and building a culture in the right way.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Cliche, I know. But it's a truth, and getting results is a process.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            We are growing, and building a culture in the right way.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Cliche, I know. But it's a truth, and getting results is a process.
            How can you honestly say this?
            We've had maybe 4 years out of the 17 that have been better than bad, we've hired some of the worst coaches in the business, given away all-stars to other teams every 4 years, drafted in the top 10 like 12 of those 17 years, made it out of the 1st round just once, we're mismanaged and easily one of the 5 worst run franchises in the last 15 years of the NBA.

On top of all that the NBA is treated like a 2nd class sport in this country yet ticket prices are minimum 3 digits for any seat worth sitting in.

The addition of Kyle Lowry is great, I'm a big fan of the guy, I hope he kills it. I hope V is as advertised, the great Lithuanian hype comes through and becomes our centre for the next 10 years.
            But that tiny bit of optimism is based on nothing but hope, the pessimism is based on 17 years of facts and disappointments.

I don't want a championship, I want a team that can actually compete. If we're the Atlanta Hawks for the next 10 years I'll be overjoyed, but so far we've been the Golden State Warriors without even that one first round upset to keep us happy on cold nights when we're getting blown out by the likes of the Bucks and Kings.

Comment

I'm not feeling down on the Raps at all - can honestly say this is the most optimistic i've ever been about the coming season, and overall future of the franchise ... the talent upgrades, coaching staff competence, stability in the front office ... Go Raps!
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                The addition of Kyle Lowry is great, I'm a big fan of the guy, I hope he kills it. I hope V is as advertised, the great Lithuanian hype comes through and becomes our centre for the next 10 years.
                But that tiny bit of optimism is based on nothing but hope, the pessimism is based on 17 years of facts and disappointments.
                Might seem obvious to you, but i'm not really sure what the last 17 years has to do with this Raptors team?
                Where were Dwane Casey, Bryan Colangelo, Kyle Lowry, Andrew Bargnani, Jonas Valanciunas, etc, etc, 17 years ago. I look to the past season, and the coming season - as the best measure of what we have ... hang in there, we can be another ATL at the very least
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

I'm not down on the Raps. But it's the whole "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" scenario developing. I've been optimistic many times in the past only to see the Raptors come up short against pre-season expectations. You can't help but feel like a dumbass every time the Raptors disappoint.

So although I admit that we have improved the team on paper compared to last season (while maintaining future flexibility), how much of an improvement remains to be seen. It's why they play the games, right? Call me "cautiously optimistic" until this team actually has quantifiable results to measure improvement against (i.e. wins and losses).

Comment

I am optimistic, just like every year...but maybe a little more so this year. I like the depth we have at every position with maybe the exception of the 5 spot, although the future is in the house and needs a year to solidify himself as an NBA player.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I'm not down on the Raps. But it's the whole "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" scenario developing. I've been optimistic many times in the past only to see the Raptors come up short against pre-season expectations. You can't help but feel like a dumbass every time the Raptors disappoint.

So although I admit that we have improved the team on paper compared to last season (while maintaining future flexibility), how much of an improvement remains to be seen. It's why they play the games, right? Call me "cautiously optimistic" until this team actually has quantifiable results to measure improvement against (i.e. wins and losses).
                      I understand your reaction, I think a lot of fans feel this way. I just don't subscribe to the theory that I should feel badly because my team didn't perform up to the expectations that the fanbase puts on them each spring.

I like the optimistic approach to my team and hoping that they are able to deliever on their potential, why else to people play sports? When I go to men's league or to pick up ball, I believe that I am going to have a great shooting night every night. I don't. But I don't get down on playing ball afterwards. that's what sports is all about. Winning is nice too don't get me wrong, but there is much more to it than that.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
                        I understand your reaction, I think a lot of fans feel this way. I just don't subscribe to the theory that I should feel badly because my team didn't perform up to the expectations that the fanbase puts on them each spring.

I like the optimistic approach to my team and hoping that they are able to deliever on their potential, why else to people play sports? When I go to men's league or to pick up ball, I believe that I am going to have a great shooting night every night. I don't. But I don't get down on playing ball afterwards. that's what sports is all about. Winning is nice too don't get me wrong, but there is much more to it than that.
                        Exactly. I think that's where the optimism vs. pessimism / "dreamer" vs. "realist" divide comes from. Pessimists seem to feel like their intelligence is being tested by the moves their favourite team makes -- the "I don't want to get fooled" syndrome. Optimists don't care.

Neither side is any more valid than the other. I prefer to err on the optimism side, since it's a lot more fun and less aggravating than the alternative. I guess it also depends on how seriously you take your 'sports entertainment', too.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Personally, I don't get the pessimism right now. The team has made a lot of positive changes to the roster (subjective until proven) and showed a lot of promise last year (objective improvement to the defence). There aren't many professional writers around the league disagreeing with the moves the Raptors made, so why would "fans" of the team complain?
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            Personally, I don't get the pessimism right now. The team has made a lot of positive changes to the roster (subjective until proven) and showed a lot of promise last year (objective improvement to the defence). There aren't many professional writers around the league disagreeing with the moves the Raptors made, so why would "fans" of the team complain?
                            I agree. We have to calm our expectations/optimism though.

Comment

Occasionally there is a Cinderella story where a losing team turns it around and improves their win percentage by 20-30% and makes a playoff run. If the Raptors pull that off I'll be amazed and happy however it isn't something I'm expecting or would bet to take place. If they get lucky on the injury front, discover the rookies can play and have most of the guys playing at the top of their game I'm guessing 38 wins. However that means they could be in striking distance of the playoffs with 15 games to go. If that happens maybe they can overcome the odds, get super motivated and make a big run down the stretch and end up with up to 45 wins.
                              It could also go the other way with bad chemistry, less than expected from all the new guys and with JC and AB again showing why they haven't been able to lead their team successfully in the last 6-7 years. Nobody knows at this point what it will be but chances are they won't be as good as the most optimistic believe or as bad as the pessimist says.

Comment

Working...
                              X