Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling down on the Raptors? Please tell me why.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless tank-nation is in effect, you NEED a good team to lure stars. So I wouldn't be quick to judge the course of this team just yet..

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      JV is the type of player we haven't had since Oakley
      Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahah
      ...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (oh no my guts are hurting)

I would love to see who you'd compare as Anthony Mason....oh you're rich man.

Look I'm excited, but that's bonker bro. Oakley would smack the air out of your lungs if you looked at him crooked, JV ain't that guy man, I prey he'll be a beast but let's be careful with the comparisons.
      i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
        Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahah
        ...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (oh no my guts are hurting)

I would love to see who you'd compare as Anthony Mason....oh you're rich man.

Look I'm excited, but that's bonker bro. Oakley would smack the air out of your lungs if you looked at him crooked, JV ain't that guy man, I prey he'll be a beast but let's be careful with the comparisons.
        What's hard to believe about comparing the only players in team history who are willing to mix it up and be physical down low? Our franchise has always had soft interior players (from Camby to Bosh to Bargnani with dozens in between). Having a player willing to be that guy down low is something we've sorely missed since Oakley.

Is JV the exact same person and player as Oakley? No, but that isn't what I said. Perhaps you should think about the context before spouting off. I never suggested that JV would be smacking people for looking at them, I only said that he'd be the physical big man we've lacked for a decade.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

...Our franchise has always had soft interior players...Having a player willing to be that guy down low is something we've sorely missed since Oakley.....
          Actually, Davis (Antonio), Willis, Montrose, Zan Tabak and even Oliver Miller weren't afraid to mix it up down low. but I get your point. I am excited to watch JV both play now and develop over the next couple of years. Soooo glad he got a chance to play in the Olympics against the American team so that he doesn't get to the NBA and go "Holy S**t!"

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            Actually, Davis (Antonio), Willis, Montrose, Zan Tabak and even Oliver Miller weren't afraid to mix it up down low. but I get your point. I am excited to watch JV both play now and develop over the next couple of years. Soooo glad he got a chance to play in the Olympics against the American team so that he doesn't get to the NBA and go "Holy S**t!"
            Now there's a pair of names I never thought I'd see again, lol.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

What's hard to believe about comparing the only players in team history who are willing to mix it up and be physical down low? Our franchise has always had soft interior players (from Camby to Bosh to Bargnani with dozens in between). Having a player willing to be that guy down low is something we've sorely missed since Oakley.

Is JV the exact same person and player as Oakley? No, but that isn't what I said. Perhaps you should think about the context before spouting off. I never suggested that JV would be smacking people for looking at them, I only said that he'd be the physical big man we've lacked for a decade.
              Ok listen, I'm going to man up and apologize if I offended you, but comparing a tall white guy from Lithuania to Oakley is a strectch in my mind. Also, when you talk about a guy who is willing to mix it up, I'd prefer to see that guy in the NBA before making statements like that. How can we draw comparisons to someone when they haven't even played a game in the NBA yet? Please don't tell me to look at all the Euro footage, because by that notion then AK-47 was the Suge Knight of the league.

Again, we're all fans and I'm sorry for making a joke out of what you said (seriously). Ultimately, I hope you're right that way we (fans) win!

Cheers
              i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

The Raptors got better during the off season, if anything fans should be optimistic, and a number of fan polls support that they are.
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I'm excited to watch a full season of nba basketball. A full season of the raptors. The first season in 4 where playoffs were even in sight. A legitimately deep roster no matter how you slice it for the first time since 07.
                  Filled seats. Exposure. Meaningful basketball all season and possibly into the postseason.

We haven't had this much hope or this much of a shot ( on paper ) to reach the playoffs since bosh.

Nobody should be down.

Comment

Sheptor wrote: View Post
                    I'm excited to watch a full season of nba basketball. A full season of the raptors. The first season in 4 where playoffs were even in sight. A legitimately deep roster no matter how you slice it for the first time since 07.
                    Filled seats. Exposure. Meaningful basketball all season and possibly into the postseason.

We haven't had this much hope or this much of a shot ( on paper ) to reach the playoffs since bosh.

Nobody should be down.
                    And 1
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Sheptor wrote: View Post

Nobody should be down.
                      This is why we need a like button. Get on it mods!
                      TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                        drafting terrence ross over jeremy lamb. for one.
                        Child please

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                          Defensive regression? They've added a defensive anchor in JV, who may take long to develop but its a step in the right direction. Plus the addition of arguably the best defensive PG in the league in Lowry, who can put plenty of pressure on the oppositions point of attack, as well as keep his man out of the paint. Landry Fields can defend just as good, if not better than JJ, minus the blocked shots. And Terrence Ross is surprisingly very aggressive and willing on the defensive end. I don't know exactly how they will fare defensively this season, but I think it's safe to say that they havent regressed in that part of the game.
                          Rookies simply are not very impactful. In fact, they are usually inefficient and struggle on defense. If they do become impactful, they are either surefire stars or in a small role. Jonas will be a prime example of a rookie's struggles. It would be a miracle if he isn't fouling at high Amir-like rates in his first season. He still really needs to hit the gym, in fact he should actually take an entire offseason just to focus on gain strength. But his national team wiil b!tch at him, even though it would benefit them (and the Raptors) long-term...and he barely played anyway.

Casey's himself is anticipating the defense to regress (3:20 mark).

Lowry's presence is negated by Bargnani being healthy and the loss of JJ... and replacing him with Fields. Fields isn't any nearly as good as a defender as JJ is. More importantly, with Bargnani back, we'd NEED JJ's excellent help defense.

Long term, we should be better. But THIS season, we will likely regress defensively, while becoming better offensively.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                            ...More importantly, with Bargnani back, we'd NEED JJ's excellent help defense...
                            "Warning, warning, warning young Will Robinson. My sensors indicate a credibility vortex is approaching. Ignore previous post. Warning, warning, warning!"

Comment

I'm pessimistic because there isn't much reason for optimism.

The team as constituted:

Bargs: an incredibly skilled big who is defensively unreliable and a historically poor rebounder
                              DeRozan: a hard-working kid with big ups who can't really shoot from range and can't get his shot off against above-average defenders
                              Amir: a great 7th or 8th guy
                              JV: a rookie center, who, even if he pans out, will need 3-5 years to develop. Haven't seen too much from the kid yet.
                              Weak at the 3.
                              An above average (10-15th ranked) point guard and trade bait backup

This lineup scares no one.

Other reasons for dismay:

An improved but still very average bench
                              A GM who clearly doesn't have a plan. His pursuit of Nash showed as much.
                              No all-star talent since CB4 and none in the works. Bargs playing well for 13 games does not count. JV is a question mark.
                              A team/city that's held in poor regard by other players
                              Other teams in our division improving and/or having deep pockets
                              A fan base that overestimates its chances/talent, underestimates the talent on other teams, and always hopes for next year

Comment

Copywryter wrote: View Post
                                I'm pessimistic because there isn't much reason for optimism.

The team as constituted:

Bargs: an incredibly skilled big who is defensively unreliable and a historically poor rebounder
                                DeRozan: a hard-working kid with big ups who can't really shoot from range and can't get his shot off against above-average defenders
                                Amir: a great 7th or 8th guy
                                JV: a rookie center, who, even if he pans out, will need 3-5 years to develop. Haven't seen too much from the kid yet.
                                Weak at the 3.
                                An above average (10-15th ranked) point guard and trade bait backup

This lineup scares no one.

Other reasons for dismay:

An improved but still very average bench
                                A GM who clearly doesn't have a plan. His pursuit of Nash showed as much.
                                No all-star talent since CB4 and none in the works. Bargs playing well for 13 games does not count. JV is a question mark.
                                A team/city that's held in poor regard by other players
                                Other teams in our division improving and/or having deep pockets
                                A fan base that overestimates its chances/talent, underestimates the talent on other teams, and always hopes for next year
                                Why is it only our rookie big from overseas needs 3-5 years to develop? Yet Anthony Davis is supposed to come in and Rock the house, Kidd- gilchrist, lillard etc.

Developing and contributing are used interchangeably and JV in my estimation will contribute big time this season. It may take him 3-5 seasons to reach his max potential/ development but putting it your way sounds like he'll be an araujo until the magic year 3,4 or 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X