This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mack North wrote: View Post
    When's the trade deadline for this league?
    You can find these things under 'scoring and settings' in the league menu. It's March 7 (a week later in the Dynasty League for some reason).

Comment

• I am looking down my roster and even though it won't help me one little bit, there is still something satisfying about seeing "Rajon Rondo's" name in that group. Looking at his averages over the last 14 days the man has 18.8 pts, 8.8 rebs, 10.4 asts, and 1.8 spg! All that to say I really hope i can continue to do well the rest of the way and can have Rondo as a keeper heading into 2013-2014.

Yet, as the trade deadline approaches, and playoff spots begin to become locked down, some teams will inevitably fall out of contention, and will start thinking about next season. And that could be any one of us (except Joey.. His team is insane haha) At some point in all this, someone might look at Rondo and want him as a keeper, and if you do, send me a trade proposal. I'm still not sure why raptor4ever didn't at least try to trade him. Like I want to keep him, but depending on how things play out in may be more beneficial to move him.

Derrick Rose was injured May 2012 and all signs point to him back in the lineup sometime in February, meaning his recovery was 9 months. If Rondo's recovery takes even a month longer than Rose, that STILL puts him back in the lineup late November, which is not too bad at all

Just wanted to throw that out there.

and PS-I love trades. lol Send a proposal! Let's make a deal

Comment

• So, Skywalker, you picked up Rondo to try to get some value from someone for trading him

That would be a bad move by any other gm. Rondo is a barely a top 40 player and that's when he's healthy. That's not worth $30. His value is severly damaged by his low free throw percentage (62% for his career) and his high turnovers (2nd on average this year) while you also need to need to adjust for his lack of threepointers at his position.

On top of that he's got a serious injury; you never know how players come back from these kinds of injuries, but I don't think the number of players having come back at the same level as pre-injury isn't very high.
        Last edited by Soft Euro; Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          So, Skywalker, you picked up Rondo to try to get some value from someone for trading him
          HAHA! I got him because I would LOVE to have him for next year.

Rondo gives elite assists, elite steals, and elite rebounding and FG% at his position. He is the best rebounding PG in the league at 5.6 PG and his FG% is 7th best among all point guards. He doesn't give superstar ppg, but it's above average and gets better every year.

I agree with you that there are holes in his game, namely, FT%, 3pt and Turnovers. It would no doubt be amazing for him to have better numbers in those areas. But here's my thoughts on that. My team is full of guys who love to turn the ball over, so that doesn't hurt at all . And when you look at the kind of guys that average 3+ TO's, we would all love to have 1 or 2 of them on our team.

Secondly, Rondo only takes 2.4 FT's per game which means the lower % doesn't kill you. Add to that the fact that his FT% is up this year which means its improving and he'll have loads of time to practice free throws when he can't do anything else for the next 9 months

Thirdly, he doesn't make 3's but there are currently 59 different players averaging at least 1.5 3's per game, and 24 averaging at least 2 per game. My point is that there's lots of players out there to make up for that void. But Rondo is the only player averaging more than 10 assists. Actually, he's the only player in the league to average more than 11 assists throughout the last 3 seasons!

I think of Rondo like i think of Dwight Howard. He gives Elite FG%, Rebs, and Blocks, and just above average pts, but he really hurts you in FT%, and turnovers, so on a nightly basis you can basically depend on Howard to contribute in 4 categories. You can count on Rondo to contribute in 5

I love Rondo as a fantasy option at the PG and i do hope that i can keep him. It's just going to be hard to have a 'wasted' roster spot heading into the playoffs. That's concerning for sure.

In terms of a trade, i just wanted to throw the idea out there. I know that if I was on the outside looking in, I would be looking to secure keeper level talent for next year. Guys like Ty Lawson, Mike Conley, and Goran Dragic all went for at least $30, and I don't think any of them have the value Rondo has.

I've spent way too much time typing this haha...

Comment

• skywalker wrote: View Post
            I think of Rondo like i think of Dwight Howard. He gives Elite FG%, Rebs, and Blocks, and just above average pts, but he really hurts you in FT%, and turnovers, so on a nightly basis you can basically depend on Howard to contribute in 4 categories. You can count on Rondo to contribute in 5
            That's exactly the problem. Dwight Howard is one of the most difficult players to own in fantasyland. He should be close to avoided in rotoleagues as you really have a hard time to even try to compensate somewhat for his ft%. And in H2H it isn't much better. An added problem is that Howard absorbs value of other players. If the rest of your team is average or above average on ft% (but no way way way above average) part of the value of good ft% players is voided. This means you need to really really tweak your team and (draft)strategy not to overpay for other players. This in turn limits your choices. You're generally better off avoiding him as long as there is someone else who overpays for him (and there always is).

Add: it's the reason I dropped Drummond. I absolutely love his upside when (not if) he's let loose after the allstar break. But he's killing in freethrows. My team is good enough to compete in any category against all teams in most weeks without him. So I went with the more solid Robin Lopez who barely has any weaknesses. He's a much better fit for me even if Drummond becomes the higher ranked player at the year's end.

Btw: I'd rather have Lawson than Rondo prior to the season. Lawson has severly underperformed so far this season (is getting a bit better - his january stats are looking like last year), but if you look at last year's stats: he was above average in fg%, a definite plus from the pg position; he was +80% on ft%; with solid stats (including turnovers) across the board. He doesn't hurt you anywhere and contributes everywhere. He fits on any team; you don't need to teamplan around him, like you need with players like Rondo.

And he's got a torn acl!
            Last edited by Soft Euro; Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I've spent way too much time typing this haha...
              I'm just trying to annoy the competition, love spending time doing that ...

Comment

• For those who’ve never heard, allow me to introduce you to the greatest, most coveted, and prestigious fantasy basketball awards this side of my kitchen… THE WALKERS! The Raptors Republic Season THREE ALL-STAR BREAK AWARDS, AKA ‘THE WALKERS’ are sponsored by team Skywalker ... And now unto the awards:

The "BIGGEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK" Award

The nominees are:

1.) WJF – $1 for Greivis Vasquez – On top of having one of the best syllable per cent ratio’s in our league (full name Grevis Josie Vasquez Rodriguez ☺), He’s currently third among point guards with 9.4 APG, and 4th among PG’s with 4.6 RPG. If we knew he was going to put up these kinds of numbers, he’d have gone for at least $1.50!

2.) Skywalker – $4 for Damian Lillard – This year’s Taco Bell Skills competition winner showed again he’s got skills! This guy has been off the chart good! He’s a shoe in for rookie of the year and is ranked the 12th best PG in the league, 44th best fantasy player overall! He gives you a bit of everything and if he keeps this up will be a keeper for years to come. Yet Skywalker trades him! What a moron ☺

3.) Soft Euro - $1 for J.J. Hickson and $1 for Jamal Crawford – The only thing better than 1 solid pick for a buck is 2 solid picks for 2 bucks! Euro had 7 picks for $1 a piece, so, he did well to get these guys who should have gone for much more!

AND THE WINNER IS… SOFT EURO!

The "WONDERFUL WOW WAIVER WIRE MOVE" AWARD

The nominees are:

1.) Soft Euro – Larry Sanders – Initially picked up by team Skywalker, Larry was dropped but then wisely picked up by Soft Euro. Sanders currently sits at the 25th spot in the yahoo player rater and with 3.2 BPG he’s an absolute block machine!

2.) Skywalker – Byron Mullens – in a strange turn of events, Skywalker’s best pickup of the year was Soft Euro’s drop, which is ironic because Euro’s top pick up was Skywalkers drop. But I digress. In spite of possessing one of the NBA’s ugliest mugs, Mullens is averaging 17.8 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 1.8 3PG and nearly a block and a steal since coming back from injury. Keep this up and he might be a keeper! But lets not get too carried away!

3.) Joey – Eric Gordon – Gordon was an actual keeper at the beginning of the year, but was dropped and then picked up by Joey. If Eric Gordon is anything, he’s an injury waiting to happen, but Joey had the foresight to pick him up and he’s been a solid addition to an already stacked team. Oh wait, this just in. He’s hurt.

4.) Matt52 – Metta World Peace – While the rest of the world is singing together hand in hand about giving peace a chance, Matt52 goes out and puts words into action and actually gives Peace a chance! And peace pays the bills! 2 3PG, 13 PPG, 5.6 RPG and 1.7 SPG rounds out the highlights for the artist formerly known as Ron.

And the winner is… SOFT EURO!!

The "RIP IT UP ROOKIE OF THE YEAR" Award

Sometimes it is near impossible to make a decision on who should receive a certain award. The level of competition, the quality of play, and the sheer determination of all make such a decision extremely difficult. However, this is not one of those times. Congrats to JBML, the only rookie in this years field!

The "WHEEL & DEAL SMOOTH OPERATOR NEGOTIATOR" Award

An award show wouldn’t be complete without the creator of the awards making up an award that only he could win ☺ But to be fair, no one else came near to matching the number of trades that team Skywalker pulled off.

In 4 separate trades, Skywalker traded 10 players, received 11 in return, and currently only has 3 of the 15 players he started with.

So the winner is… Skywalker!

The "MY TEAM'S SO GOOD I DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING" Award

Although technically the winner of this award should be MangoKid since he’s only made 3 moves all year, I am inclined to give the award to Drizz. Why? Well, Mangokid seems to be out of commission and not in a move making mood. Whereas Drizz is currently in 4th place!

FUN FACT: This is the second year in a row that Drizz has won this award, but at this time last year he was in 2nd place!

And FINALLY, to round out this year’s version of the WALKERS, I come to the part where I would give my bold predictions for the final standings… but last years predictions were so awful that I promised I would never do this again… I predicted Soft Euro would finish 12th. He finished 3rd! I predicted Matt52 would finish 9th and he ended up winning it all!

I know I promised I would never do this again, but what the heck! I break promises all the time! This years predictions in reverse order:
                12. MangoKid
                11. JBML
                10. Raptor4ever
                9. Raptorsfan4life
                8. Mack North
                7. Apollo
                6. Skywalker
                5. Matt52
                4. WJF
                3. Drizz
                2. Soft Euro

Barring some major setback, it’s going to be hard to see anyone taking down Joey!!

Would love your comments guys!!!

Comment

• Not bad but you didn't award me with anything but a playoff spot! haha I'm not sure how that's gonna work either, cause you have RF4L not making post-season, but he's 15 games ahead of me. I appreciate the optimism though!

Jarrett Jack was my decent pick up...

Interesting nonetheless

Comment

• Once again you'll look silly when I win again.

(hopefully)

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                      Not bad but you didn't award me with anything but a playoff spot! haha I'm not sure how that's gonna work either, cause you have RF4L not making post-season, but he's 15 games ahead of me. I appreciate the optimism though!
                      And the award for noticing i didn't award him anything... MACK!!! hahaha

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Once again you'll look silly when I win again.
                        I look silly no matter what haha

Comment

• Nice one on The Walkers again Skywalker and thanks for giving me two!

Btw, I picked up Nelson as well; he's injured now, but 60th on average on the year.

A note on Mullens: I dropped him when he was injured and not just because he was injured. He was hurting my percentages way too much. He started out well for you, but if he goes back to his old percentages you have to be very strong there to be able to carry him on a roster in h2h. He's good value in 3s, sts, blks, but can kill you by himself in fg% and drags you down in ft%. One great tweet I read about Mullens:

Comment

• Anyone looking for Tony Parker as a keeper for next year??

Send me a trade offer.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              A note on Mullens: I dropped him when he was injured and not just because he was injured. He was hurting my percentages way too much. He started out well for you, but if he goes back to his old percentages you have to be very strong there to be able to carry him on a roster in h2h. He's good value in 3s, sts, blks, but can kill you by himself in fg% and drags you down in ft%.
                              good to see you have picked him up again

Comment

good to see you have picked him up again
                                Yes, that was funny. But my percentages have improved a lot since I dropped him, I might be able to take the hit. Might still drop him again though.

Actually wanted to pick up O'Neal, but I couldn't because I had just dropped him because he was missing the games this week. After Gortat went down I cursed myself for doing that. Might be an excellent pick up by you.

Comment

Working...
                                X