The price of Iggy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of Iggy.

Remember those reports last spring that the Toronto Raptors were interested in bringing in Andre Iguodala or Rudy Gay? Raptors fans, desperate for something, salivated at the thought of landing either one of them at the time. On Tuesday, Raptors president and general manager, Bryan Colangelo, spoke on the Mike Richards Show on TSN 1050 Radio in Toronto, and explained that Iguodala was on the table but price was too steep. He wasn't kidding. From what I've been told by an NBA source, the Sixers were eyeing Toronto's eventual first-round pick this summer, Terrence Ross, along with an additional first-round pick, plus point guard Jose Calderon's expiring contract along with another roster player, believed to be forward Ed Davis. TSN

source: hoopshype.com

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR?!

Terrence Ross,Lowry(essentially), Jose and Davis?

I for one am glad this didnt go down...and i wanted Iggy bad.

Have to agree.

Hopefully this gives people an idea of how difficult it is to land an upper tier talent.

Comment

Steep but not surprising. Glad we didn't give it all up. Iggy's a top defender but isn't a franchise cornerstone ala Durant, etc.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

At this rate, it may cost MLSE the Leafs and TFC in order to nab Gay from Memphis.

I'd still make the trade...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          At this rate, it may cost MLSE the Leafs and TFC in order to nab Gay from Memphis.

That would be a steal for the Raps!! I don't think Memphis would make that deal.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

Leafs just got ranked the WORST franchise in North American Professional Sports.
            Not sure that does much for their trade value. haha

Comment

How long to we have to wait before we LOL @ the people that think Demar, Ed, and Jose would be enough to get this deal done?

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                How long to we have to wait before we LOL @ the people that think Demar, Ed, and Jose would be enough to get this deal done?
                I laugh at them all the time. Some people don't understand how much you have to give up to get a high value player. They're not cheap and you can't just give you're scraps away thinking that it will net you a star.

Comment

This trade speculated was: Jose, Ed, Ross and future 1st ... Is that drastically different than Jose, Ed, Demar?
                  The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

The Spin Doctor spoke again! Whether it was the asking price after lengthy discussion or the initial (over)price, we will never know.

If Iggy was on a lengthy, friendly contract, I would have no problem whatsoever with trading Ross + 1st round pick + Jose Calderon + Ed Davis for him. None.

Comment

I would have made that deal for Gay, but not Iguodala, since Gay is locked up for a number of years. If Iguodala would have made a commitment (ie: used his option), then I would have probably done it for him, but as a 2nd choice.

Calderon - expiring contract, was replaced by Lowry and could come back next offseason and re-sign for less as a veteran backup PG (expiring 2nd string player)

Davis - completely redundant to Amir, essentially a third string player (3rd string player)

Ross - personally, I'd rather include DeRozan instead of Ross, but either one of them is essentially a third string player if Gay & Fields are the starting wings (3rd string player)

Additional 1st round pick - Toronto could easily have used some combination of their 2 2013 2nd round picks (Sacramento's & their own), their own 2014 2nd round pick and cash, to trade for the additional 1st round pick required to complete the trade (essentially 1/2 2nd round pick(s) and/or cash)

So.... lets see, the deal would go down as this:
                      2nd string player & 3rd string player & 3rd string player & 1/2 2nd round pick(s) & cash --> Rudy Gay

When you exclude the names and the emotional attachments, suddenly the deal makes sense, since the Raptors would have been trading from positions of strength/depth to address the most glaring weakness on the team!

STARTERS
                      C: Valanciunas
                      PF: Bargnani
                      SF: Gay
                      SG: Fields
                      PG: Lowry

BACKUPS
                      C: Gray
                      PF: Amir
                      SF: Kleiza
                      SG: DeRozan
                      PG: Lucas III (or somebody else acquired in subsequent deal/signing)

BENCH
                      - Acy
                      - McGuire
                      - Anderson

When I look at that team, I personally don't even miss the players traded away!
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Sep 12, 2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Most of the trades I proposed/considered as 'fair' for Gay or Iguodala, included DeRozan & Davis & Calderon & additional 1st round pick... which is essentially the same as this rumor, aside from the request for the younger/cheaper SG (Ross), instead of DeRozan. I don't think it's really that far off.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                          This trade speculated was: Jose, Ed, Ross and future 1st ... Is that drastically different than Jose, Ed, Demar?
                          Depends on if you think Demar has more value than Ross + another lottery pick. That is where the laughing part comes in.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            The Spin Doctor spoke again! Whether it was the asking price after lengthy discussion or the initial (over)price, we will never know.

If Iggy was on a lengthy, friendly contract, I would have no problem whatsoever with trading Ross + 1st round pick + Jose Calderon + Ed Davis for him. None.
                            Except had we traded a first round pick we would not of had it to get Lowry, so we bring in Iggy and have a team with no PG and ZERO depth, ya that would be a fun team to watch.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                              Except had we traded a first round pick we would not of had it to get Lowry, so we bring in Iggy and have a team with no PG and ZERO depth, ya that would be a fun team to watch.
                              Not true. Another 1st round pick could be acquired, to be used in a deal like this one (if it went down after the Lowry trade). Or the terms of the conditions on the 1st round pick for Lowry could have been changed. I assume that Lowry would have still been acquired, when considering this rumored deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X